Devastated And Guilty

bobosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

This Tuesday night I had to put my 13-year-old cat Bobo to sleep. Now, I'm struggling with the decision and missing him painfully. I appreciate this site existing; I've been looking for the last 24-hours for an online place to go to to share Bobo's story, and mine.

Bobo was my dad's, and he passed away in 2012. My dad lived in a rural area and Bobo was a feral cat from one of the neighbor's houses. He chose my parents' house more than they chose him at first, but I'd say that in many ways my dad loved Bobo as much as any of his kids. When my dad died my mom couldn't take him to the apartment she moved to, so my husband and I inherited him.

Until 2015, Bobo did well adjusting to indoor life in a more suburban area--I was scared to let him outside even though he clearly wanted to go. However, he gained weight and developed diabetes. Prior to this diagnosis, he peed all over the carpet and for the year that it took to regulate his diabetes, I largely kept him confined to the laundry room. I felt horrible about his lack of freedom, but I also knew that I needed to get his diabetes under control before I could let him out again. Eventually he became more stable and we were able to let him out more frequently, and over the last year I began letting him outside during the daytime. His vet cautioned me against this as did other people, but he was so much happier getting the opportunity to wander the neighborhood, lie in front yards, and get attention from the neighborhood kids. Letting him outside was difficult because he would occasionally miss a dose of insulin, but it was not often and he seemed pretty content.

Last Sunday evening, though, my neighbor called me to let me know that he was lying next to their poor unable to stand and crying. Just that morning he had eaten then gotten his insulin. I rushed him to the emergency vet hospital and they said his blood glucose was at 26 and he was having a hypoglycemic episode (he'd never had one before). They told me that I needed to keep him overnight for fluids, dextrose, and so they could run tests. The next morning they said that his BG was coming up, and they saw that he had an underlying infection so they treated him with antibiotics. I had him transferred to his regular vet for the rest of the day where they continued to give him fluids, but when I picked him up at the end of the evening they said that they weren't sure what had caused his hypoglycemic episode. I did not have X-rays or ultrasounds done because they told me that I should bring him the next day for more fluids and blood glucose monitoring. Since I had paid $1300 for the overnight hospital stay and $350 on Monday at the regular vet, I couldn't afford the testing. He did well on Monday night at home: he ate and used his box, but he did still seem lethargic.

On Tuesday I took him back to the vet before work, where he stayed all day and received fluids and monitoring. The vet said that his kidney seemed slightly enlarged but for the most part his values were normal. However, his blood sugar kept dropping even though he hadn't any insulin administered in 24 hours. It climbed back up to 280 at one point so they gave him 2 units (he usually got 3 twice a day). I took him home that evening with instructions to give him 2 units after he ate his recovery wet food. However, when I went downstairs to give him dinner I found him lying unable to walk or stand in a puddle of his urine. I rushed him back to the emergency hospital. His BG was back down to 25. The vet said that I could keep him overnight again, but this cycle was likely to continue at least a few more times and that it was only going to be a bandaid for whatever was causing these episodes. Since I couldn't afford further testing or the treatment it would entail, I made the horrible decision to put him to sleep. What made it even harder was that right before, he was able to stand and he ate quite a bit of baby food. I got to spend time petting him and he was purring constantly. I was able to pet him when they put the medicine in, and he went quickly and peacefully.

I can't help but feel awful that I couldn't do more for Bobo. Part of me wishes that the hospital had provided me with other options to go home and try to treat him there, although I know it would have been difficult since he was severely hydrated and wasn't drinking water much on his own. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and don't have anyone to help me care for him, so I also knew that in the coming weeks I wouldn't be able to monitor him the way he would need it to avoid another crash. But I miss him so much, and I can't believe he's gone. This time last week, I had no idea that he would become so ill and would be gone. I feel like I've let Bobo down and my dad, and I've lost them both all over again.

Thank you for taking the time to read and listen.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't leave anyone down, you did above and beyond what could have been done, it is the grief that has a stranglehold on you now and will play mind games until you come to terms with the loss, plus losing your father you never forget, and since he had such ties to Bobo that just makes it 200 times harder to deal with. But you were wonderful to him and he knows it and loves you and thanks you for it, and you will see them BOTH again one day and it will be wonderful. Just picture right now your dad is holding him in his lap and they are both so so happy, keep that thought in mind....

And that he passed quickly and peacefully when injected tells me that he was ready to go....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your losses, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sincerely sorry for your loss. You did all you could, so please do not feel at anyway guilty. You have given him a marvelous life. Some people refuse to keep their parents' pet after their passing, but you did after your dad passed away, which is a wonderful wonderful thing to do.

Bobo is with your Dad now, reunited. I know it will be quite some time before you get over the grief, which is understandable, but please try to remember him during his healthy days, the happier days. You have to take care of yourself.

Let me also have this opportunity to wish the best on your pregnancy, and congratulations in advance. I know this may not be the right time, but I just want you to feel positive in this time of grief.

You will forever be Bobo's mom. And Bobo is eternally grateful.

Hang in there. Sending my hugs and prayers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did all you could, and so much more than most. And Bobo knew that. He got to be in his beloved outdoors at the end, and i'm sure that was a great comfort to him. You took him in when your dad died, you will be blessed for that, and your dad is at peace knowing his beloved Bob is being cared for and loved.
His condition was getting worse, the hypogycemic episodes were an indicator of that, you could not let him suffer, and for that he is thankful. It' so very hard to not have guilt and regret with the death of such a beloved boy, it comes no matter what the circumstances, it is a part of grieving. You only wanted the best for him, for you to hold such guilt, you would have to have intent, and your intent was only the best for him and to love him. There can be no guilt in that.
You are bringing a new life into this world, you must concentrate on that. You can teach that new little one the way to open the heart to animals, what it is to love them, to care for them, that would be a wonderful gift to Bobo, a way to perpetuate his legacy of love that he left you. You know that sweet boy would never want you to be sad because of him, he loves you too much to bring such sadness into your life, especially at a joyous time like this. The bond you have with him can never be taken from you. He will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him loving, happy thoughts and let his love bloom, not be hidden in a cold, grieving heart.
Of course you miss him, the routine of caring for him has been a part of your life for years now. You will develop a new routine of loving care, and he can be a part of it, right beside you, sharing your joys and living through you because he will always be tied to your life though love. Just as your dad is a part of you, "death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love for them both will be in your life forever. They are both a part of your past now, but a beautiful part, your precious memories of happier times will comfort you in the future. Don't dwell on their end, that can never be more important than their lives. Be thankful for sharing your life's journey with them both for a while, it has enriched your soul and made you who you are.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you well in the upcoming joyous event, concentrate on making your future one filled with love and joy. Take care of yourself......RIP precious Bobo. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Bobo, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

You gave Bobo the best life you could, and I promise you, he knew he was loved every moment of that life! I know how difficult controling diabetes can be, both in humans and in cats, and how quickly it can totally destroy quality of life when it becomes uncontroled. Once that happened, getting the situation balanced again for Bobo would have become almost impossible, with more and more frequent episodes, and a slow decline. You saved Bobo from that, and with all the love in your heart, sent him to rejoin HIS person, your dad, who welcomed him with loving arms. Now BOTH of them bless you daily for your care of Bobo, and smile down on you always.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a similar occurrence with a diabetic cat years ago. I certainly don't need to insert my story into yours, but believe me, it was similar. Unstable BG for reasons that were not exactly clear. Like you, I took Hamy to the ER and spent whatever I thought it would take to save him. Finally, the head vet took me aside and basically said what yours said to you...that it was going to continue and that I had given them days to try to save the cat whereas most people give them hours and limit the bill to a couple hundred.

Nursing Bobo at home sounds like a good idea in theory but you have to realize that it was going to be much trickier, if at all possible, than you are probably imagining. There was no guarantee that he was going to eat the next jar of baby food as readily as he did the one that you witnessed. I think that you have stopped yourself at a point where you believe that there was one more thing that you could have done. Most people who love animals seem to think that way because we love them so much, but that does not mean that it would have come to pass as we imagine.

Bobo was 13, you had given him an ideal life for 7 years and he was dxed with diabetes 4 years ago..successfully treated by you. There is nothing that you did wrong and everything that you did right. With the new baby coming, try to remember everything that you did to make sure that Bobo had such a great life. In a lot of parallel universes he would have made a one way trip to the pound...a rural feral who lost his home when your dad passed on (and not in any way suggesting that your mother should have been in a position to continue his care.)

All cats should be as lucky as Bobo.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You took in your fathers beloved cat and had him when your father passed, which makes that bond very strong with that cat.
Diabetes can be a nasty disease to control. Some cats respond to just a diet change, a few do not and unfortunately for Bobo it sounds like he wasn't one of the lucky ones.
I would be concerned that he crashed so quickly, and unable to walk and lying in his own urine is no way for a cat to live. If his ups and downs were that quick, and that severe, I would wonder if something else was going on that was making him get so bad so quickly (pancreatic cancer, etc.)
You weighed the options carefully of keeping him inside or letting him be outside for a little while to give him some happiness, and it sounds like it was a good neighborhood that looked out for his well being, God love the neighbor of yours for calling you up instead of seeing him crying and saying "not my problem" and ignoring him.
You put a lot of time, money, effort, and love into this cat, even though he peed on your carpets you knew he couldn't help it. You helped him. Even though it makes us feel guilty, keeping them confined when they're doing this really is the best option because you can't tell for sure if he's peeing or how much if he's sneaking off to pee elsewhere. In the laundry room, his box could be monitored.
With your little one on the way any day now, this is a horrible situation for you. It's OK to be sad, but don't upset yourself too much right now if you can help it, it's not good for you or your baby, and you have nothing to feel guilty about. I know you feel like you lost them both or somehow let your dad down (if you were my daughter I wouldn't think so at all), but maybe they're together again and are happy for that.
When the baby is old enough to understand, you can tell your new baby all about Bobo, all about your dad, and all about how it's good to care for other people and other living things, and get the ball rolling on another human being who will grow up to be caring and loving to all, just like his or her Mama :wave3: