Deterring cats from my home?

wolfrott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A recap; I own a rescue cat, Luna, who's now an indoor cat by night after she faced the risk of her tail having to be amputated due to a bad cat fight last year, and she is outdoors during the day but is preferring the air conditioning ;)

She's been an indoor cat for several months now. This morning she was let out at 7AM, and immediately she was set upon by a young tom who was waiting just near the front door under a chair. This has never happened before. She normally gets into fights (years ago before her house arrest post surgery) being chased home from their own turf, or at the border, and she wins usually as she is big, older, and plays with our dog.

Is there a way to deter stranger cats, or not? We have no idea if this cat, or others she's encountered on her own turf, are actual pets or strays. He instantly bolted the second he sees a person.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A recap; I own a rescue cat, Luna, who's now an indoor cat by night after she faced the risk of her tail having to be amputated due to a bad cat fight last year, and she is outdoors during the day but is preferring the air conditioning

She's been an indoor cat for several months now. This morning she was let out at 7AM, and immediately she was set upon by a young tom who was waiting just near the front door under a chair. This has never happened before. She normally gets into fights (years ago before her house arrest post surgery) being chased home from their own turf, or at the border, and she wins usually as she is big, older, and plays with our dog.

Is there a way to deter stranger cats, or not? We have no idea if this cat, or others she's encountered on her own turf, are actual pets or strays. He instantly bolted the second he sees a person.
Wolfrott,

Why don't you keep your dog in at night and let it out before the cat(s)?

With regards,

Geoffrey

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolfrott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dog's a 100% indoor dog; never outside unless supervised on a harness or in the fenced in backyard. We have cane toads and snakes at night too so its not an option.

Luna's never had cat fights so early, it was always at midnight or 2 am, not in the daytime/sunrise.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog's a 100% indoor dog; never outside unless supervised on a harness or in the fenced in backyard. We have cane toads and snakes at night too so its not an option.

Luna's never had cat fights so early, it was always at midnight or 2 am, not in the daytime/sunrise.
I assumed that Luna was kept in at night since her fight and only let out in the morning, and letting the dog out first would hunt off any stray felines.  However I had better leave advice on cat deterrents to others who know....

Cane toads?  Snakes? Do you live in Queensland?

Best,

Geoffrey