destroying the carpet

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Churchill is slowly shredding the carpet under our bedroom door. I have to keep the door shut at all times to keep my toddler out so Churchill can't hang out in there now. I bought a scratching post and scratching pad in hopes he would use that instead...nope. I tried capping his claws but he just pulls them off after a few days. We have the sticky paws tape but I don't want sticky carpet lol Ideas?

omgpingu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hardly know much about cats, but let me tell you something

(My opinion, and It might not be true)

My cat Tilly always decides to scratch my bed quilt and even my carpet. When I see her do it, she does it in kind of a playful but harsh way. I THINK it's where your cat Churchill is trying to play, but maybe going a bit too rough...

I don't know, it's just my guess :S

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I hardly know much about cats, but let me tell you something

(My opinion, and It might not be true)

My cat Tilly always decides to scratch my bed quilt and even my carpet. When I see her do it, she does it in kind of a playful but harsh way. I THINK it's where your cat Churchill is trying to play, but maybe going a bit too rough...

I don't know, it's just my guess :S
I don't think he's playing when he does it because when he scratches he looks panicky like he's frantically trying to get into the bedroom. He does get rather frisky/playful at night but he never claws at night, only during the day. It's weird.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's used to having access and now doesn't, it may just be that. He wants in! I would put a mat where he scratching so that he doesn't destroy the carpet underneath and try to distract him when he does it. Hopefully he will get used to not being allowed in the bedroom soon.

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If he's used to having access and now doesn't, it may just be that. He wants in! I would put a mat where he scratching so that he doesn't destroy the carpet underneath and try to distract him when he does it. Hopefully he will get used to not being allowed in the bedroom soon.
I may just have to get a small, cheap rug to put over top the carpet. He knows he's not supposed to claw the carpet because as soon as he sees me, he makes a mad dash away from the door. I don't know why he's suddenly obsessed with that room. He always used to hang out in our other bedroom but decided one day he wanted to spend all day long in our bedroom by himself.

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can relate my cat has done that to my bedroom carpet at the closet door, she seems intent on getting in there. I have a bald patch on my carpet now. I have not figured out how to stop her other that putting double sided sticky take on the rug and changing frequently. We are planning to replace it with carpet by FLOR one day as you can just switch out squares but it is pretty pricey.

I wish I had some suggestions for you since I suffer the same kitty habit.

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I may get that scratch stopper. I've got to cover that area of carpet anyway because Churchill has clawed it so much the carpet tacks are sticking out. I don't want my son to hurt himself walking over that area. I put some sticky paws tape on Churchill's favorite chair for clawing and that has helped too.