Desperately Need Potluck Ideas :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need to bring a potluck dish or two for a family picnic, and quite frankly, we're stumped as to what to bring.

Most of our relatives live pretty much in the same area, so bringing a hot or a cold dish to the picnic site isn't an issue for them. However, since we'll need to be on the road for a bit, we can't bring anything that could spoil along the way. And dang it, other kinfolk are already bringing desserts, so that's not an option.

Any ideas? Help! :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
cheeser cheeser ....Do you have a nice, big crock pot? If so, I highly recommend crock pot beans; I found the recipe several years ago and now, whenever there's a family thing going on, I have to make these beans; they are requested. You can make them a day ahead, bring them in your crock pot, and plug them in once you get there. Here's the recipe: Crock Pot / Slow Cooker

Another crock pot recipe. Again, you can make them the day before, flop them into the fridge, put them in an ice chest for the trip, then reheat once you get to your destination:

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches: Just use the same link as above. You'll find it there.

I will often make Shredded BBQ Beef. Make it a day ahead, separate the meat from the sauce, throw it into the fridge to cool down, let whatever fat that's in the sauce rise to the surface overnight and then remove it the next morning. Put the meat and sauce back together, put it into your ice chest, and reheat when you get there. Take your favorite chewy or crusty rolls with you for the BBQ. You can find the recipe for Shredded BBQ Beef here: Main Dishes and Entrees - Meat

For a Salad, how about Summer Spaghetti Salad? Make the dressing and keep it separated from the salad until you get to where you're going, then combine.

Summer Spaghetti Salad

1 (16 ounce) package thin spaghetti, broken in half
3 medium tomatoes, diced
3 small zucchini, diced
1 large cucumber, seeded and diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
1 (8 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds

Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a large bowl; add tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber and peppers. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 16 servings

Confetti Coleslaw with Honey-Celery Seed Dressing

4 c. shredded green cabbage
½ c. diced green pepper
½ c. diced red pepper
½ c. shredded carrot

Honey-Celery Seed Dressing:
3 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
¼ c. vinegar
1/8 tsp. dried onion
1 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. celery seed

Combine cabbage, peppers, and carrots in glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate. In blender, combine honey, mustard, paprika, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, and onion. Slowly add oil, while blending, until thick. Stir in celery seed. Cover and store in refrigerator. Just before serving, spoon Dressing on coleslaw and toss until coated. Makes 8 servings. Recipe can be easily doubled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks for the links, LTS3 LTS3 . Lots and lots of yummy looking stuff there. :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , we do have a crock pot, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to reheat anything upon arrival. But I can certainly put those recipes to good use here at home! I've only recently discovered how wonderful crock pots can be for cooking in hellishly hot weather. Now we can enjoy hot meals without me feeling like I'm going to suffer a heat stroke. Hee!

The salads look like they could work for us. Surely there's a place along the way we could buy more ice if need be. Thanks bunches!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise