Desperately Need Ideas Re: How To Pack As Many Calories And Nutrients Into A Syringe Feeding

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to syringe feed our FIV/FHV kitty at least one meal a day for the foreseeable future, and would greatly appreciate some ideas as to how to cram as many calories and nutrients into each feeding.

Usually if it's only for a few days to help Buddy bounce back from one of his frequent health setbacks, I just add taurine and Nutri-Cal to a jar of baby food, or U-Stew pre-mix per the manufacturer's instructions.

But since I have no idea how long I'm going to need to assist feed Buddy this time, I want to make sure he gets the proper nutrients, keep his calorie intake between 180-220 calories a day per the vet's recommendation, and provide whatever he needs to help him poop, as he's prone to constipation unless he eats foods that contain guar gum.

I've tried blending the crap out of regular cat food that he's allowed (but never what he might usually eat on his own so he doesn't develop an aversion to it), and adding liquids such as homemade meat broth or bone broth to get it liquid-y enough to draw up with a syringe. But, of course, the more fluids I need to add, the fewer calories per mL.

I recently got some Hill's Urgent Care a/d from the vet, even though it contains proteins that cause some problems for Buddy. But he hated it so much, he kept spitting it back at me, and he's usually really chill and cooperative about syringe feedings.

At this point, even though Buddy has some food allergies and sensitivities, we're willing to consider almost anything except stuff that contains fish (due to his history of urinary tract problems) -- and we're even willing to be flexible about that if it's hydrolyzed like it is in his Viralys L-lysine supplement.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Buddy is pretty healthy, all things considered, and has always been a challenge to feed even in the best of circumstances because of his compromised sense of smell and frequent nasal congestion. So the vet doesn't feel any meds would be appropriate to help make it easier to feed Buddy -- even thought that would be a huge help to us right now under some other circumstances. :sigh:

Any ideas? *asks hopefully* :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Kitten Milk Replacer? Goat milk? Kitten food?
Funny thing you should mention kitten food! I just started compiling a list of wet kitten foods to see how they stack up against their adult version counterparts. :)

IIRC, looks like the kitten milk replacers are only about 11 calories per tablespoon, and the pasteurized goat milk I found has about 8.75 (Buddy can't have raw). I mean, it's better than nothing, but I was hoping to find some kind of mystical and magic supplement that has more calories, like Nutri-Cal, which has 28 calories per teaspoon, but without all that sugar and carbs.

Oh, heck, while I'm wishing for things, I wish I could eat all the chocolate I want without gaining weight, or not have to mow the yard when it's 100 degrees and nearly 100% humidity. Hee! :lol:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just looking at Meat Mates on Chewy. Their wet cat food is super high in calories.

You can give him some duck fat.

If this is ongoing, have you considered a feeding tube? That would be a lot easier to get him his calories without so much resistance. It doesn’t preclude him from eating on his own. And it can be removed when you no longer need it. And a Kitty Kollar replaces the bandage dressing making it much easier to keep everything clean and protected.

The procedure is low risk and you’ll pay more for the X-ray to confirm its placement than the procedure or the materials itself.

I have my doubts about long-term sustainability of syringe feeding by mouth. You nailed the problem. You have to compromise nutritional density for viscosity and you have to get it past a protesting cat. You still have the viscosity issue with a feeding tube. But because the cat isn’t putting up a fight, you can do more feedings in a day to get you to your caloric goals. The only time Krista ever resisted was if the food was too cold or I pushed it too fast. You get feedback one way or another and you learn to adjust. Overall it wasn’t so bad and it probably saved her life.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just looking at Meat Mates on Chewy. Their wet cat food is super high in calories.

You can give him some duck fat.

If this is ongoing, have you considered a feeding tube? That would be a lot easier to get him his calories without so much resistance. It doesn’t preclude him from eating on his own. And it can be removed when you no longer need it. And a Kitty Kollar replaces the bandage dressing making it much easier to keep everything clean and protected.

The procedure is low risk and you’ll pay more for the X-ray to confirm its placement than the procedure or the materials itself.

I have my doubts about long-term sustainability of syringe feeding by mouth. You nailed the problem. You have to compromise nutritional density for viscosity and you have to get it past a protesting cat. You still have the viscosity issue with a feeding tube. But because the cat isn’t putting up a fight, you can do more feedings in a day to get you to your caloric goals. The only time Krista ever resisted was if the food was too cold or I pushed it too fast. You get feedback one way or another and you learn to adjust. Overall it wasn’t so bad and it probably saved her life.
We have done a feeding tube with another one of our cats, but our vet doesn't feel that any medical intervention is necessary with Buddy because he's...well, just downright weird. :)

Bless his heart, Buddy just can't seem to get the hang of eating like a normal cat. He doesn't seem to recognize food as food, which may partly be because he can't smell it worth a darn, even when we warm it, add toppers or mixers, etc. We have to wave each bite under his nose until he can get a good whiff, or smear a dab on his gums to try to whet his appetite. Plus, he has an incredibly short attention span. So he'll only eat a few bites at a time from a spoon or from our hand, and we have to keep trying again until he eats a decent amount for each meal. Long story short, it takes us a total of 5-8 hours a day to feed him, and we've been doing this day in and day out for nearly 7 years. Suffice it to say, sometimes we can get really stressed out and exhausted just from feeding one cat!

Then every once in a while (like now!), Buddy goes through these phases where he gets tired of his current menu, and we have to scramble to figure out what else he'll eat. So sometimes I have to syringe feed him to supplement what he's able to eat on his own until we finally find something he likes. And sometimes that can take several weeks. Thankfully, he's pretty agreeable about that sort of thing, and is super easy to syringe feed. In fact, sometimes all I have to do is barely touch the corner of his mouth and he'll start lapping at the syringe. But because stress can cause his FIV and/or herpes related issues to flare up, I try to keep that to a minimum as best I can.

Thus far, thank God, we've eventually been able to get everything sorted out, and things go back to normal. Well, what passes for normal for Buddy. :wink:

On the bright side, he's finally forgiven me for taking him to the vet a while back, so at least he doesn't run and hide every time he sees me. Baby steps!

Okay, I'll go take a look at the Meat Mates you mentioned, and see if I can get some free samples. It doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks much!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. It's not Meat Mates but My Little Lion that is loaded with calories. Always look at the Metabolic Energy (ME) value that is Kg/Kcal to compare one food to another without having to consider the size of the can or pouch.

Meat Mates Chicken is 1035 kcal/kg (1.035 calories/gram)
My Little Lion Turkey is 1,532 kcal/kg (1.532 calories/gram)
My Little Lion Duck is even higher 1,765 kcal/kg

https://www.chewy.com/my-little-lion-96-duck-recipe-grain/dp/185121

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. It's not Meat Mates but My Little Lion that is loaded with calories. Always look at the Metabolic Energy (ME) value that is Kg/Kcal to compare one food to another without having to consider the size of the can or pouch.

Meat Mates Chicken is 1035 kcal/kg (1.035 calories/gram)
My Little Lion Turkey is 1,532 kcal/kg (1.532 calories/gram)
My Little Lion Duck is even higher 1,765 kcal/kg

https://www.chewy.com/my-little-lion-96-duck-recipe-grain/dp/185121
Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I never could figure out why My Little Lion is "intended for supplemental feeding only," and I never could get a response from the company.

I vaguely seem to recall reading somewhere that supplemental products should not exceed 10% of a cat's daily diet. But maybe I'm just mis-remembering that. I do that a lot these days! :crackup:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy-cat, baby, ya gotta go easier on your mama!!
I'll be sure to tell him that. :wink:

Sometimes I think he likes to torture me just for the fun of it. Shoot, before too long, I'm going to have more gray hair than Buddy does! :biggrin:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I never could figure out why My Little Lion is "intended for supplemental feeding only," and I never could get a response from the company.

I vaguely seem to recall reading somewhere that supplemental products should not exceed 10% of a cat's daily diet. But maybe I'm just mis-remembering that. I do that a lot these days! :crackup:
I can’t figure out why it’s for supplemental either. The recipe looks so much better than anything else on the shelves if it weren’t for the two gums. I think Krista is good with guar gum but no idea about cassia.

It’s more balanced and complete than baby food!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t figure out why it’s for supplemental either. The recipe looks so much better than anything else on the shelves if it weren’t for the two gums. I think Krista is good with guar gum but no idea about cassia.

It’s more balanced and complete than baby food!
True dat about the baby food, even with my humble efforts try to make it more nutritionally complete!

Okily-dokily. I'll take another look at My Little Lion, especially the duck and rabbit (if I can figure out re: where it's sourced). Can't have too many options when you're desperate and frustrated. ;)

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was reading this thread about the my little lion, and it being for "supplemental feeding only". I googled it and the ingredients and vitamins look great, but.. they didnt add taurine? Why in the world would you make a cat food without taurine?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was reading this thread about the my little lion, and it being for "supplemental feeding only". I googled it and the ingredients and vitamins look great, but.. they didnt add taurine? Why in the world would you make a cat food without taurine?
I just checked the rabbit, turkey, and duck. They all have taurine. Which one doesn't have taurine?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Either my brain and eyes are playing tricks on me.. but it looks like the chicken is lacking taurine.
I used to get the my little lion treats for Lily when she was little. Then petsmart stopped carrying them, and then they brought them back but Lily was over the taste by then lol

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either my brain and eyes are playing tricks on me.. but it looks like the chicken is lacking taurine.
I used to get the my little lion treats for Lily when she was little. Then petsmart stopped carrying them, and then they brought them back but Lily was over the taste by then lol
Treats are treats and aren’t expected to be complete and balanced.

But...that’s odd! I don’t see taurine in the chicken food. It’s the only food missing taurine. I didn’t notice this earlier because chicken is one of Krista’s IBD no-go proteins. I don’t bother looking at chicken recipes anymore.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 and stacydc83 stacydc83 , I just checked that as well, and it does look like chicken is the only flavor that doesn't contain taurine, which wouldn't be my first choice anyway since that's the protein that gives Buddy the most trouble.

However, I saw this info in the comments section for this product at Chewy: "First, to address those that say there is no Taurine... just checked the can I have and Taurine is the 8th item on the ingredient list." Unfortunately, Chewy doesn't have screenshots of the entire label like it does for other products, so I can't confirm what the poster said. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby food, a spoonful of KMR powder, a splash of heavy cream (not too much). When my stomatitis cat wasn't eating much, that's what I blended with Royal Canin Babycat canned food. It made a nice smooth mixture and he liked it.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby food, a spoonful of KMR powder, a splash of heavy cream (not too much). When my stomatitis cat wasn't eating much, that's what I blended with Royal Canin Babycat canned food. It made a nice smooth mixture and he liked it.
Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanks ever so much! :)

Oh, and when you say "spoonful" of KMR powder, what exactly does that mean? Or is there a measuring spoon that comes with it?