Desperately Need Advice About Moving

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re moving to a new apartment in less than 48 hours. There’s nothing I can do to alleviate the chaos going on around me and my cat—it’s not my choice. I’m so concerned about the new place because there’s an obvious musky vacant smell in there that just won’t go away. The last time we moved my cat got stress-related cystitis (FIC), and again after our other cat passed. She’s now about to endure yet another major change, and I KNOW my girl so well. She’s already exhibiting behaviors of stress. I really don’t want to dope her up on anti-anxiety meds either. I’m so fearful about this cystitis happening to her again that I’m a wreck myself (and I mean a WRECK), and I have no idea what to do to stop it.

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re moving to a new apartment in less than 48 hours. There’s nothing I can do to alleviate the chaos going on around me and my cat—it’s not my choice. I’m so concerned about the new place because there’s an obvious musky vacant smell in there that just won’t go away. The last time we moved my cat got stress-related cystitis (FIC), and again after our other cat passed. She’s now about to endure yet another major change, and I KNOW my girl so well. She’s already exhibiting behaviors of stress. I really don’t want to dope her up on anti-anxiety meds either. I’m so fearful about this cystitis happening to her again that I’m a wreck myself (and I mean a WRECK), and I have no idea what to do to stop it.
By the post I’m unsure as to what do you need.
Do you need advice on non medication? On holistic relaxing things? On procedure?
You can try:
Food additives: hemp oil for cats. Catnip plant.
Environment: feliway spray and or diffuser , or calming collar.
Procedure: start by locking the kitty in a room with all her things, food, litter, etc, tons of toys and even new perks! and have her become used to the small place first. This could take up to a month.
My chewy passed away in January, chucko dug a hole in his neck due to stress mourning, while my other kitty was diagnosed with diabetes needing insulin. I added a kitten, moved in March, and added 2 more kittens to the 3 cat pack. Lots of times cats sense more our stress than anything else.
Lots of luck and hope anything on that list helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the post I’m unsure as to what do you need.
Do you need advice on non medication? On holistic relaxing things? On procedure?
You can try:
Food additives: hemp oil for cats. Catnip plant.
Environment: feliway spray and or diffuser , or calming collar.
Procedure: start by locking the kitty in a room with all her things, food, litter, etc, tons of toys and even new perks! and have her become used to the small place first. This could take up to a month.
My chewy passed away in January, chucko dug a hole in his neck due to stress mourning, while my other kitty was diagnosed with diabetes needing insulin. I added a kitten, moved in March, and added 2 more kittens to the 3 cat pack. Lots of times cats sense more our stress than anything else.
Lots of luck and hope anything on that list helps.
Thank you!! I wrote the original post in kind of a panic. I should’ve been more clear, sorry. Yeah, I just meant literally any advice on making things go more smoothly. I confined her to one room during the last move when she very obviously was desperate to get out. I’m wondering if that’s not the way to go for her. I’m investing in some Feliway tomorrow, though I can only afford one diffuser and I hope that’s enough. She’s also going to be transitioning from a normal litter box to a Litter Robot, too. I hope all goes just fine. Mama’s stressed more than anything. I suffer from a great deal of anxiety issues, and I know she picks up on that. I have to try and stay as calm as possible. I know they feel our stress.