Desperate for advice on a needy and destructive cat

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.

Three weeks ago I adopted a cat from the RSPCA named Lucy who is about two years and three months old and 3.5kg (~7.5lbs). She was found stray with no ID microchip (mandatory in Australia), pregnant and sick with both the flu and an ear infection (I felt sorry for her). At the time I adopted her she was in good health and the vet I just took her to confirmed she still is. Furthermore the RSPCA had de-sexed and vaccinated her some time earlier. I enjoy having her around; she has a pleasant disposition (with the occasional murder streak), enjoys being stroked, likes to sit in my lap, is energetic, frequently uses her scratching posts and regularly plays. I’ve grown up and been around cats for most of my life so I’m relatively familiar with their quirks, persistence and needs but this is something I don’t understand. Apologies in advance for the verbosity, I’ve tried to cram in as much useful information as possible.

Foremost she continuously demands attention, following my every step, meowing constantly and frantically whether she needs something or not. Even when I’m on the toilet she meows and sits at the door like a sentinel. Secondly and more seriously is her persistent, destructive shredding of the carpet. This is particularly problematic since I live in a rented unit and am responsible for any damage incurred (I have permission to keep a cat). One morning during the second week I woke up to find my fruit bowl on the floor and the fruit looked like Freddy Krueger had been holding it. I understand scratching is both important and necessary for a cat, but I think this is something different.

This may or may not be directly related however she often demands food even though she is fed three times daily with the maximum amount recommended for her age and weight.

I don’t think it is directly related to the move. She was actually surprisingly adaptive. She jumped out of her travel crate, walked around rubbing against the furniture, used the litter tray, ate a meal, sat in my lap and purred for three hours straight. She seems quite comfortable and able eat, sleep, and enjoy herself here.

I give her plenty of attention so I don’t *think* she is bored. She spends the day around me as I am stuck home due to illness, I usually play with her twice a day (which she loves) and I let her outside in the yard for a supervised hour or two (it is very safe and quiet in the suburbs where I live).

I’ve clipped her nails out of necessity due to both the carpet scratching and the fact that when she gets excited she slashes my hands up like a high-speed blender. I won’t declaw her, that seems too cruel.

I’ve taken the advice from the RSPCA and various pet websites and forums by placing an additional scratching post (which she regularly uses) with a very similar carpet at the worst spot and taping effected areas of the rooms with packaging tape. Once a spot becomes unavailable she simply creates another. I’ve been regularly using Feliway on furniture and scratching sites (I’ve used so much the bottle almost emptied after a week).

For about a week and a half I stomped on the ground saying NO as she began scratching then locked her in the Laundry for thirty minutes. Once out she will be clawing again within as little as 30 seconds. Repeating this process did not dissuade her in any way. For the last few days I’ve started spraying her with water however she has learned to anticipate this so runs as soon as she sees/hears me. Perhaps that has become a game for her.

Unfortunately and perhaps critically is the one thing I cannot do and that is ignore her completely. I can’t afford several thousand dollars replacing the unit’s carpet and having a breach notice against my rental record for damaging property is too detrimental.

Right now I have to lock her up in the laundry at night and remain alert and perceptive throughout the day to stop her ripping chunks out of the carpet. Although I love cats and there is plenty to like about Lucy, I am at the point where I may have no choice but to return her to the RSPCA. The one consolation is knowing that the Australian RSPCA is very reluctant to euthanise in all but the most medically serious or behaviourally dangerous situations and do everything they can to re-home animals. I’d rather keep her but I’m getting rather desperate here.

Thank you for reading my rambling. Some wisdom would be very welcome.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the articles. I've given them a read but haven't found anything new. Also that jacksonsgalaxy.com site seems to really plug their 'holistic energy' products which are just bottles of water. The primary ingredients include 'Reiki energy', 'flower essence' and 'essence of full color spectrum'

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have to wonder if her behavior isn't due to anxiety? I know you are using Feliway, but it doesn't work for all cats. It *might* be worth trying some Prozac to see if this helps settle her.

Was Lucy very bonded with her kittens or other cats at the RSPCA?

What is a typical daily routine like for the two of you?

You mention food...is Lucy over/under or at an ideal weight? Some cats that have had to fend for themselves can have a food issues because they worry they may not get another meal. You could try offering her more frequent meals, but not increasing the overall amount given. (Timed feeders work well if you work outside the home.)

theenderkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
could be scared of something? I had a cat that would rip the carpets and she was scared of a lot of things (including people) in my house. We couldn't get her to stop but sometimes she would get calm and stop scratching for a while.

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to wonder if her behavior isn't due to anxiety? I know you are using Feliway, but it doesn't work for all cats. It *might* be worth trying some Prozac to see if this helps settle her.

Was Lucy very bonded with her kittens or other cats at the RSPCA?

What is a typical daily routine like for the two of you?

You mention food...is Lucy over/under or at an ideal weight? Some cats that have had to fend for themselves can have a food issues because they worry they may not get another meal. You could try offering her more frequent meals, but not increasing the overall amount given. (Timed feeders work well if you work outside the home.)
Hi CatPack. Thanks for your response.

I don't think she ever gave birth, I think she was de-sexed while pregnant so the kittens wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure about bonding with other cats as when I adopted her she was in her own cage. She seems to get a bit aggressive towards neighborhood cats, even the friendly one next door. She doesn't go looking for them, she just doesn't like them coming near.

My daily routine is pretty unscheduled and unreliable so I've ordered a timed feeder to give her small, regular meals and I'll add meat in the evenings. Hopefully she'll feel a bit less inclined to constantly demand food. With respect to weight, the vet said she was perfect.

As for anxiety, that is quite possible I'll keep an eye on her behavior. She get very shaken by thunderstorms but we don't get them often here. She actually likes visitors and goes straight up to them so I wonder if maybe she is a bit lonely?

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding to that, yesterday she had a fight with a neighbor's cat. As much as she wants to, she now refuses to go outside unless I chaperone her.

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Go to Bunnings and buy either of these and put it over the carpet in the areas she is scratching. I used them in a rental to protect the carpet in the litter box area.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-dyi-67cm-herringbone-carpet-protector_p6611138

https://www.bunnings.com.au/vinyl-sheet-econo-1-83m-ideal-char-grey-check-bud183-5302_p6610206

It is illegal to declaw in Australia.
I'll grab some of that carpet protector and cover her favorite spots. I just hope she doesn't continue to pick new ones.

As for declawing in Australia, I figured that might be the case, but good to know for certain.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a couple of those corrugated cardboard 'scratchers' at Walmart or a pet store and put these where she scratches the most, most cats love these above all else. When one side is shredded, pull it up and turn it over to get more out of it, I couldn't do with out these at my house. While you are there buy a roll of double sided tape, found in the scotch tape area, and put several strips of that where she is scratching, they hate the feel of it and stop.  As for the food issue, you are doing right by feeding her meals, but for now, (you can always change in the future) I would leave a bowl of dry out for her to free feed on, she may be a cat that wants to nibble 20 times a day.

Three weeks is not long at all in a cats life, I'm sure she is still very insecure and unsure of herself and is clinging to you for security. I feel it will take at least 6 months for her to settle. Two years old is just about the time for them to settle down from the kitten stage, so time is on your side. You might order some 'calming' treats from Amazon to help her calm down a little, I have used them with great success for vet visits. It would take the edge off and help to decrease her insecurity. Your house may seem strange with all the coverings, etc. for a while, but once she settles down you can get back to normal. She is stressed out and if you return her it will escalate her fears. Please try for a little longer, she is desperate and needs someone to love her. She is obviously a high strung, but loving cat, but in  the future will be a loving companion and will bring you joy instead of frustration. I'll pray for you both, thank you for seeking advise, you have a big heart. 

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for responding. She is a very pleasantly natured cat. Yesterday (and today) I lay down on the couch and she jumped up on my lap, gave herself a 'bath' and fell asleep purring. She hasn't been as needy the last few days but she still continues to claw the carpet. Each time I cover one of her existing spots, she simply moves past it and selects a new one. She has almost a dozen around the unit now. I got her one of those cardboard scratch pads and placed it on top of one of her spots. She had a try then immediately moved on to a nearby piece of carpet. I've also tried covering up a few spots with furniture but again, she just finds another alternative. Same with taping. She has two scratching posts always within a few metres of her so it's not for lack of places to scratch, I just can't communicate to her that the carpet is off limits. The last thing I can think of is using one of those citrus/herb based cat repellent sprays on her spots. Would this cause a problem in a small unit?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Are any of her appropriate scratching surfaces carpeted? Some cats simply just like the carpet texture.

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep. Both of her posts are carpeted and she uses them regularly.