Describing My Cats

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love cat genetics also!

Its very interesting how some species of animals can have litters with young from different fathers. I'm not sure if this is what happened with our female cat or not (before she was spayed) but the first tom to court her was a point-patterned male and then after that a black and white tom. Of the first three kittens there were two, small black and white ones and the last two kittens of the litter of 7 were larger, point-patterned cats. I found this interesting, since it seems to connect with the time and such.

Tiger-tail the Cream-point while he was courting Tabby (both were soon afterwards spayed and neutered to prevent any further litters)

Pygmy (oddly enough one of the largest cats we have had) the black and white tom

I think this is Sugar, one of two Siamese-patterned kittens in the litter. They looked very similar to one another, though Ivory was always larger.

And here is Billie, who looked very similar to his sister Millie except that she didn't have black on her muzzle.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I love cat genetics also!

Its very interesting how some species of animals can have litters with young from different fathers. I'm not sure if this is what happened with our female cat or not (before she was spayed) but the first tom to court her was a point-patterned male and then after that a black and white tom. Of the first three kittens there were two, small black and white ones and the last two kittens of the litter of 7 were larger, point-patterned cats. I found this interesting, since it seems to connect with the time and such.

Tiger-tail the Cream-point while he was courting Tabby (both were soon afterwards spayed and neutered to prevent any further litters)

Pygmy (oddly enough one of the largest cats we have had) the black and white tom

I think this is Sugar, one of two Siamese-patterned kittens in the litter. They looked very similar to one another, though Ivory was always larger.

And here is Billie, who looked very similar to his sister Millie except that she didn't have black on her muzzle.
OK, so momma Tabby was is a point carrier.  Mated with a point it will typically give half of the litter pointed. 

So lets presume the black and whities were after the secont tom.    And I presume you had at least a couple of tabbies too?  theoretically should be at least half of the litter.

Tabby is dominat, but if mommas tabby genes werent doubled up, only half of her children would be tabbies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Huh?  Having this extra info; all three cats are related, and seeing the pic,  I think I may re-analyse some.

On pic one of the first parent pair,  as I see it, none of them has white.    And the white spot gene is dominant.

On the pic I see at least 3, possibly four do carry white.  Thus, its  an indicium black-and white fathered them all, to give the statistics.   (he could easily have the white gene in a singleton).

There being a potential pointed father, and pointed kittens, is no real proof, now when we know all cats, even blackie, are related.  Blackie too may be a point carrier!

Yes, Blackie is probably a point carrier too,  Alike the mom.     Two point carriers mated,  will probably give 2 of the seven pointed, as here...  While the pointed should give 3-4 pointed.

As it seems on this photo, both pointed kittens have black ears, no?  So its another strong indicium Blackie is the father.

So the new analysis gives, Point is almost surely no biologic  father.  He is at best a foster father.   Really, he is just  mommas Ex, as they say.   :) 

A little pity, he is really handsome. almost elegant. 

So our Black and white, is the father of them all.   Congrat him, and dont forget him on the Fathers Day!

Last edited: