Describing her coloring?

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, all! I rescued this kitten who was orphaned at 4 weeks (she’s now about 10 weeks, a little on the small side), and I was curious about her head shape and how you’d refer to her patterning. Brown tabby with white underbelly?! I don’t know how to refer to her white spots. And is she just a domestic shorthair who’s too mixed to be associated with any one breed? Thank you💕!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has such a different head shape than the rest of the cats I’ve cared for! I’m used to round heads and round eyes, and she had such a different shape. An I imagining that?! I might stare at her too much😉!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's super cute! Those pink toe beans... :redheartpump:

From these pictures, I would describe her as a brown mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. Her head shape looks pretty normal to me... there is a lot of variety in the domestic cat gene pool, and you will see all shapes and sizes. Maybe you are comparing her to older cats that had a more mature and filled-out look?

Most cats aren't any particular breed, and also aren't "mixed" with any specific breeds, unlike dogs. Nothing wrong with that, though... domestic shorthairs are great cats! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for answering that for me😻! The person who gave her to the foster parents told them that her mom was a Maine Coon mix, and while I highly doubted that, I thought for sure that her head shape was a sign that she might be a ‘mix.’ But I had no idea that most cats weren’t mixes in the sense that dogs are. Wow. My mind is kinda blown right now!

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think her head shape is less round as she is a kitten. There are a lot of breeds that have mixed into the general cat population but it may not always be obvious.
All breeds came from domestic populations, excepting those man made breeds that used part non domesticated cats.
Sweet looking kitten :lovecat: