Denver, Colorado

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kass, does that mean you will be here, too?!?! I live just outside of Denver, and there is tons of stuff here.

If he wants to stay right Downtown, the Adams Mark Hotel is good. For shopping, Cherry Creek Shopping Center is a pretty high-class shopping center (Neiman Marcus, Sacs 5th Avenue, and small boutiques). Right downtown is the 16th Street Mall and Denver Pavillions, which are a large area of stores in a part of downtown pretty much closed off to cars. Park Meadows is a pretty good mall, but pretty typical of malls (it does have a HUGE arcade in it, if Rob's into that. I know my hubby always wants to go to that
). Colorado Mills just opened and it's kind of a combination of Outlet Mall and regular mall but without the flagship stores like JC Penny, Foleys and Sears. Flat Iron Crossing is also a newer mall/outdoor strip mall. The place is HUGE and can certainly occupy the better part of a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
Kass, does that mean you will be here, too?!?! I live just outside of Denver, and there is tons of stuff here.

I wish I was travelling with him!! I can't with our current finances, plus there would be no one looking after Nakita (the ol' ball n' chain!). If I did come, I'd track you down and smother you in Nakita pics!

Thanks for the info Heidi, I'll pass it along!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure yet. His boss still has to book his accomodations so I'm not sure where he'll be.

Thanks for the links! Doing all this research for him is making me want to travel! And I'm missing out on Heidi (valanhb)also!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Denver! I was there for a scientific meeting several years ago. It was indescribable to wake up in the morning, open the curtains in my hotel room and see the Rockies. Kass, have your husband visit the Colorado State House. There is a step that is one mile above sea level. One of my favorite pics from that trip is me standing on that step (for someone who grew up on the Atlantic coast of the US, one mile up is really cool).

Heidi, a quick question. Halloween fell during the days of the meeting. I remember walking down a street to the city's theater/opera/concert hall. There were grates in the sidewalk along this street, and when you walked down there, you would hear a variety of sound effects from the grates-trains, subways, people talking, buffalo herds, cows, etc. Is this something that the city does during Halloween, or is this something that is done year-round? It was one of the coolest things I experienced in Denver.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christy, I've never experienced that.
It sounds really cool though! I asked hubby and he said that he would imagine that they do it every Halloween. That area around Boettcher Concert Hall and the Buell Theater is very creative and festive. They have amazing displays and music going on throughout Christmas and New Years, so it wouldn't surprise us if they did that every year.

It's funny, I grew up in the foothills of Colorado (Fort Collins, where Colorao State University is), and have lived in the Denver area for about 8 years and I totally take the mountains for granted. They are just there, but when someone comes out to visit they are amazed at the view I live with every day (I live less than 10 miles from Red Rocks Ampatheater, and if I drive for about 5 minutes I am IN the mountains). Sometimes it takes an outside view to really appreciate what you have. For instance, I an so envious of Kellye living in Ashville, North Carolina. That is one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're surrounded by mountains here and on a really clear day they are breathtaking. but a really clear day only happens in the summer. So I'll have to wait till then to see them clearly again I guess

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
It's funny, I grew up in the foothills of Colorado (Fort Collins, where Colorao State University is), and have lived in the Denver area for about 8 years and I totally take the mountains for granted. They are just there, but when someone comes out to visit they are amazed at the view I live with every day
Totally true Heidi!

I for one would love to live where there is mountains. Ontario's topography is as flat as flat can be!

And living in a city of 3 million creates to much concrete and not enough green space! That's why I'm always ready to go to my cottage to get away from the urban concrete!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you have a great time there!! I am jealous! I love Colorado!!! My brother lives in Littleton and I have not been there for a few years now.
Can I stow away and go with you? I promise not to make much noise, although I can't speak for Amber, she might be a little noisy at times!
Let us know how it goes and where all you go while you are there!!!