Dental Treats

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
According to the Veterinary Oral Health Council, there are three kinds of treats that are accepted as effective against tartar: Greenies, Whiskas Dentabites, and Purina DentaLife. What are your experiences with these brands? Do you feel that the treats have made an impact on your kitties' dental health?

I am working on brushing my kittens' teeth (they're 9 months old) with an enzymatic paste, but so far, they really just lick the toothpaste and chew on the toothbrush. I don't want to rush them and cause them to have a negative association with toothbrushing, so I'm looking for something to supplement the routine.

Thank you!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure they do much. I feel dental health is mainly genetics related. Greenies never did much of anything to my cats teeth. Most of those treats are also filled with crummy ingredients as well. Making sure you establish some type of dental runtime at home is good so good on you for trying to do that. Don’t stop it because that will be the biggest help. Perhaps if your cats like them you can give a few greenies after as a reward for cramming a brush in their mouth lol.
Other things they can chew on are raw chicken wings and chicken gizzards. Those are natural species appropriate dental treats for cats you can be used in between brushings.
And remember to get yearly dental cleanings at the vet. That’s the most important thing. It doesn’t have to be now but as soon as they get a few years old and you start noticing any kind of tartar it’s important to get them into the vet so they can get all that yucky stuff off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure they do much. I feel dental health is mainly genetics related. Greenies never did much of anything to my cats teeth. Most of those treats are also filled with crummy ingredients as well. Making sure you establish some type of dental runtime at home is good so good on you for trying to do that. Don’t stop it because that will be the biggest help. Perhaps if your cats like them you can give a few greenies after as a reward for cramming a brush in their mouth lol.
Other things they can chew on are raw chicken wings and chicken gizzards. Those are natural species appropriate dental treats for cats you can be used in between brushings.
And remember to get yearly dental cleanings at the vet. That’s the most important thing. It doesn’t have to be now but as soon as they get a few years old and you start noticing any kind of tartar it’s important to get them into the vet so they can get all that yucky stuff off.
Definitely not planning on stopping brushing, just trying not to force it too fast. Thanks!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing replaces teeth brushing. And as others have mentioned dental treats are cruddy!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing replaces teeth brushing. And as others have mentioned dental treats are cruddy!
Yes, as I have stated a couple times, I'm not trying to replace toothbrushing. I'm just asking for people's experiences with veterinarian-approved treats as a supplement.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought some Dental Lifes, so it's too soon to tell if they do anything. But Lily and Mingo did crunch on them, which they don't do with Temptations. Mingo throws up if I give him too many treats, so I only gave him two this morning. But I hear him gagging a little now. He's got a hair-trigger stomach.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed Greenies because my cat likes them, not for any dental benefits. She doesn't chew them at all so they're pretty useless.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed Greenies because my cat likes them, not for any dental benefits. She doesn't chew them at all so they're pretty useless.
Holy, does she swallow then whole? Are there different sizes Greenies? The Greenies I feed my cats are huge (like 3 adult sized kibble pieces in one) and they definitely chew them. I could only see a bigger cat breed like a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat not chewing them.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just bought some Dental Lifes, so it's too soon to tell if they do anything. But Lily and Mingo did crunch on them, which they don't do with Temptations. Mingo throws up if I give him too many treats, so I only gave him two this morning. But I hear him gagging a little now. He's got a hair-trigger stomach.
Thank you, that's good to know! But :( to the gagging.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Holy, does she swallow then whole? Are there different sizes Greenies? The Greenies I feed my cats are huge (like 3 adult sized kibble pieces in one) and they definitely chew them. I could only see a bigger cat breed like a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat not chewing them.
Yes, she swallows them whole. As far as I know, feline Greenies only come in one size. She gets 4 every night before bed and she swallows one right after the other without so much as a breath in between. She's not a particularly large cat either. Just a regular 12 lb kitty.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish there was. I tried brushing when the youngest 2 were kittens. Not easy with small teeth and they dont sit still :/. My older cats have horrendous breath. Just can't afford cleanings right now