Dental tools...

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been watching Youtube videos on toothbrushing, and seeing all the fussing and fighting. Seems like anything that could make brushing as fast as possible would be the way to go. Was wondering if anyone has tried using electric toothbrush or Waterpik?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a cat won't still for a manual toothbrush, I don't see how the cat would hold still for a scary noisy vibrating electric toothbrush or a steady stream of water from a Water Pik :dunno:

Toothbrushing can be done. It may take lots of patience and treat rewards. Using a tasty toothpaste helps. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular. You can offer the toothpaste as a treat to start.The CET mini cat toothbrush works really well. Instead of a pet toothbrush, you could try a pet finger brush or a cotton swab instead. Toothbrushing takes less than 30 seconds to do. You're not aiming to scrub every tooth surface. It's ideal but not possible to do with a cat that's not under anesthesia. A quick swab of the visible outside surfaces of the teeth is enough.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If a cat won't still for a manual toothbrush, I don't see how the cat would hold still for a scary noisy vibrating electric toothbrush or a steady stream of water from a Water Pik :dunno:

Toothbrushing can be done. It may take lots of patience and treat rewards. Using a tasty toothpaste helps. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular. You can offer the toothpaste as a treat to start.The CET mini cat toothbrush works really well. Instead of a pet toothbrush, you could try a pet finger brush or a cotton swab instead. Toothbrushing takes less than 30 seconds to do. You're not aiming to scrub every tooth surface. It's ideal but not possible to do with a cat that's not under anesthesia. A quick swab of the visible outside surfaces of the teeth is enough.
How do you get the molars? I've managed to acclimate my kitty enough to the brush and toothpaste that she (begrudgingly) lets me brush her canines for a very short time while she tries to lick the paste off the brush. But her canines are not easily accessible and I've never been able to reach them without her shutting down the whole enterprise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My thinking was not that a cat would like an electric toothbrush or Waterpik any better, but that either would shorten the time it takes to do the job. I've seen quite a few videos talking about senior cats not getting enough hydration. My thinking on the Waterpik was that it would not only shorten the time of teeth cleaning, but also aid some in hydration. Doubtless the cat would try to spit most of the water out, but I'd bet at least some would get swallowed. Anyway, guess no one has tried either, and at $50 to $300, I'm not too inclined to do gamble on a blind bet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would actually increase the time. You're trying to use a scary thing near a cat's face and trying to hold a freaked out cat at the same time.

You can add water to canned food to ensure hydration. There are also tips here: Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

How do you get the molars? I've managed to acclimate my kitty enough to the brush and toothpaste that she (begrudgingly) lets me brush her canines for a very short time while she tries to lick the paste off the brush. But her canines are not easily accessible and I've never been able to reach them without her shutting down the whole enterprise.
My cats hold still so I can swab the outside of their molars and other teeth quickly.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forcing a cat through fussing and fighting will not work, you need time and patience and create as many positive associations as possible.