Dental Surgery On Tuesday

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have overdone it. But I prefer that to the alternative. She was already at the hospital for 10 days earlier this year and had a feeding tube. I didn't want to go back to any of that. So when she went off the food she was mowing down with vigor, taking licks, then wincing, I still had this transdermal bupe and I started her on 0.1 mL every six hours. I want to stay on top of the pain management so she never feels it wearing off until she doesn't need it anymore. I started her last Friday. By Saturday she was eating again. Not her favorite food though. Tuesday she had her procedure and I told them to skip the long-acting bupe so that I could resume our schedule. I figure three days out from the procedure should be enough and that's the outer edge of how long I feel comfortable giving the bupe. Midnight will be her last dose. Caturday, I promise she can eat as much or as little as she wants because that will be a wash-out day. I don't think that cats go through withdrawals but her appetite could be wonky until it's washed out.

I am super-excited to see this cat totally off all meds and supplements. Just shovel in the good food and pack a pound back on her.

Lord help me when she's no longer medicated and gets the 4am perkies!
:dancingblackcat:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is usually a breathing tube put into the trachea during an anaesthetic, this can cause a sore/inflamed throat and loss of voice or possibly a little bit of coughing for a few days afterwards - it's not unusual for a meow to be quieted for a few days following surgery!

My Radar had ALL his teeth except his canines removed last week due to a condition called feline tooth resorption. Since his major surgery and post-surgical anorexia and feeding tube last year I was feeling so frightened about him having his teeth out, but I am pleased to say he bounced right back, wanted to eat right after the surgery but dropped a load of food over the floor but was able to eat properly just a couple of hours later, and he seems to be in very good spirits now - happier because he no longer has dental pain I reckon!

theperseph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he ate a little bit of food earlier, he made a lot of weird nasally sounds while he was eating. Does this seem like normal post-anasthesia? We are about 4-5 hours out from when his procedure started, probably 3 from when it ended.
Hi! I found this thread looking in the search. My 7 year old kitty Perseph had a dental this past Monday where they found a growth under her tongue, which they removed.
I'm curious about the weird nasally sounds Pierre was making. Persephone has been making gulping sounds every time she swallows since I brought her home. I've scoured the google and the vet hasn't been very helpful when I reached out about the sound. How long did it take for the weird sounds to go away?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since one of my cats had extractions, but all went well. What I remember vividly is Rocky came home and played for hours because he was no longer in pain.