Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

dental scale - to wait or not?

mmin

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
45
Hi, it seems like its always one issue after another.

I'm at a dilemma at the moment. My 1.5 year old cat has gingivitis - stage 1 and reversible, thankfully, but the vets have suggested that he go for a dental scale in the next few months, it's not necessary to do it immediately, and my vet is completely happy ether way if i would do it now or would rather wait.

I have a membership with the vet, however, that is ending in a few weeks, which would take a few hundred bucks off a dental bill, and a complimentary yearly blood test included, so it would be cheaper if i do it now, versus a few months later. He also has a little cyst on the top of his head which the vet thinks is completely harmless but suggested that there's no harm in removing it during the dental when he's under anaesthetic.

However, reading up the risks of anaesthetic and cause he's so young.. and he was just sedated back in march for an ultrasound, i'm hesitant and worried. even though a few months probably isn't too much of a difference and a clean slate to start proper home cleaning would be good..

Any thoughts? What would you do?
 

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
7,373
Reaction score
9,214
I would definitely recommend asking your vet about your concerns. I don’t think age should be a problem. Kittens as young as two months are put under anesthesia for spay/neuter. And, I don’t think that you need to worry about the spacing between undergoing anesthesia. Anesthesia is temporary, so I don’t think it should matter it they’re close together, but March and October aren’t very close anyway. So, since you’ll save a lot of money by doing the dental now, then I would say that it makes sense to do that now. As long as your vet is okay with the timing. And, don’t hesitate to ask your vet any questions about anesthesia or the dental or anything. They’ll know all the details, and will be able to put your mind at ease.
 

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Sep 26, 2019
Messages
49
Reaction score
70
If the vet has no qualms about putting your cat under anesthesia, I'd trust them and do it now, when you can save a couple hundred bucks. Cat dental work is expensive and better to do it now rather than later, when a big problem crops up.
 

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Super Cat
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
896
Reaction score
1,486
Location
Canada
This is a tough call. For me - it would boil down to finances. I'd be apt to do it sooner because of that.

Anesthesia at any age scares the life outta me tbh but I understand it's sometimes necessary. How did he / she (what's their name?) do during the ultrasound sedation? Vet I assume believes it's safe, correct? No health concerns?

Catching the gingivitis now is awesome as you're correct, this is the reversible stage. If it's now, or a few months - I tend to lean with you that there's not that much of a difference save for the cost ...and it would be nice to start brushing with a clean set of teeth!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5

mmin

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
45
This is a tough call. For me - it would boil down to finances. I'd be apt to do it sooner because of that.

Anesthesia at any age scares the life outta me tbh but I understand it's sometimes necessary. How did he / she (what's their name?) do during the ultrasound sedation? Vet I assume believes it's safe, correct? No health concerns?

Catching the gingivitis now is awesome as you're correct, this is the reversible stage. If it's now, or a few months - I tend to lean with you that there's not that much of a difference save for the cost ...and it would be nice to start brushing with a clean set of teeth!
vet didn't bring up any particular issues to me during the sedation so i assume it went well. she just told me that she's happy to do it now, or i could wait a few months, whichever, it's up to me. vet didn't seem too concerned about safety wise, just told me it's a low risk procedure (but anaesthetic..). he has many minor issues here and there, but no, he doesn't have any prominent health concern, thankfully. perhaps i should remind her about the sedation in march and confirm once more if it's okay and ask her for more details about the anaesthetic. i just got myself wound up and anxious after reading all the complications and side effects :runaround:
 

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
7,373
Reaction score
9,214
vet didn't bring up any particular issues to me during the sedation so i assume it went well. she just told me that she's happy to do it now, or i could wait a few months, whichever, it's up to me. vet didn't seem too concerned about safety wise, just told me it's a low risk procedure (but anaesthetic..). he has many minor issues here and there, but no, he doesn't have any prominent health concern, thankfully. perhaps i should remind her about the sedation in march and confirm once more if it's okay and ask her for more details about the anaesthetic. i just got myself wound up and anxious after reading all the complications and side effects :runaround:
I understand. There’s a lot of information on the internet, and it’s easy to scare ourselves, especially when it comes to the health of our cats. Your vet is always the best person to ask any medical questions.
 

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Super Cat
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
896
Reaction score
1,486
Location
Canada
vet didn't bring up any particular issues to me during the sedation so i assume it went well. she just told me that she's happy to do it now, or i could wait a few months, whichever, it's up to me. vet didn't seem too concerned about safety wise, just told me it's a low risk procedure (but anaesthetic..). he has many minor issues here and there, but no, he doesn't have any prominent health concern, thankfully. perhaps i should remind her about the sedation in march and confirm once more if it's okay and ask her for more details about the anaesthetic. i just got myself wound up and anxious after reading all the complications and side effects :runaround:
Whenever you are uncomfortable - definitely ask the Vet. There's no harm in asking at all. We all totally understand, and I'm sure the Vet will as well. I feel the same way any time anything goes on with any kind of risk - no matter how small. Panic sets in. Then I research the life out of it and probably scare myself more than I should ... but.. it's good to be aware.

Very good to educate yourself so that when you are speaking to the Doctor things are clearer for you too! It also helps you to formulate appropriate questions. When things makes sense, a lot of the unneeded panic tends to fade a bit.

XOXOXO


I understand. There’s a lot of information on the internet, and it’s easy to scare ourselves, especially when it comes to the health of our cats. Your vet is always the best person to ask any medical questions.
:yeah:


Absolutely!
 
Top