Dental price range.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, Maggie, Isaac & Levi had their check ups & shots. Isaac has needed a dental for about 3 years and I have been putting it off. Well last night the vet found a broken tooth, so now I have no choice. The choice I have is which vets office to have it done at. His regular vet estimated from $275 (no extractions) - $450 (with extractions, which he will likely need at least one). Now I know I can get it done for a lot cheaper at the vet that the shelter uses, but I am not sure if I want to go for cheaper? So I am just wondering what others have paid, or what others consider a normal price range for a dental on a 6 year old neutered male.

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I paid a little over $230 for a dental on my 4 year old female. She did not have to have extractions, but price would have verified depending on the tooth, per my vet. Here in Myrtle Beach, the local vets "rotate" as the shelter vet, I don't know if that would be the case in your area. If so, check with the shelter, they may be able to coordinate with your vet if that is so, the shelter funds make up the difference here in our town. I would only do this if it would truly put you in a financial bind to pay yourself... there are a lot of people that truly need those funds in emergencies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be paying the bill, but the vet that our shelter uses is having a dental special right now, that is how I know it would be cheaper. I coordinate all of our shelters vet care, so that is how I know they are having a special.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask both of the vets what anesthesia they use, what is included in the cost (a general breakdown) & compare the two. Some vets are cheaper because they use cheaper anesthesia.

ETA: I pay $150 for dental, $50 for bloodwork. $250 for full mouth extractions & bloodwork.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've paid about $300-350 for each dental. That usually includes an extraction or two, and always includes bloodwork. My cats have all been seniors when they needed dentals, and both vets we've used for this require bloodwork before any surgery on seniors.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently paid $100 for a dental and $60 for pre-anesth. bloodwork including a CBC. No extractions needed. Another vet quoted me $120 for the dental and their pre-blood panel was $50-60.

I don't have any seniors.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The prices in the USA for a dental seems to be so much cheaper than they are in Canada.

Two years ago my rainbow bridge kitty, Chynna, needed a dental. She was 16 years old and had an infected tooth. They quoted a loose $700.00 for the dental.

Their reason being:

1. Her age
2. The need for 24 hours pre surgery hydration
3. Basic blood panel
4. Dental xrays of each individual tooth
5. 1 night post op for pain control. I think I also opted for a second night too.

I tried to get them to forgo the xrays because I felt that there was no need to xray a tooth that they were going to ultimately extract anyway. They claimed that the way a cat's teeth grow that there is no way to determin from the outside of the tooth if the tooth is viable or diseased.

The end result was a dental bill to the tune of $1,200.00. However, due to certain circumstances, they capped it at $700.00.

My brother had his dog's teeth cleaned at that same vet. I believe he paid about $400.00. I don't think there were any extractions, at least I don't remember him telling me about any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I recently paid $100 for a dental and $60 for pre-anesth. bloodwork including a CBC. No extractions needed. Another vet quoted me $120 for the dental and their pre-blood panel was $50-60.

I don't have any seniors.
The other vets special is $100 for the dental & $60 for the blood work. However, they consider 6 to be a senior, and he would require a more extensive blood panel, so I am not sure how much that would cost.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that came up at my last check up at the vet - this practice has 'dental cleaning month' in February with some sort of discount. Since my boy is going back for his senior panel and check up in January, and his teeth were such that a cleaning is warranted but wasn't an immediate need in June, she suggested we just schedule things to take advantage of both the senior panel (for anesthesia purposes) and then discount. Of course, if something happens, he'll go in sooner, but a few percent off here and there can't hurt.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Cotton always cost us anywhere between $250-$500 for a dental and that included bloodwork, painkillers & antibiotics (because Cotton always needed them)and extractions.

thrasymachus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got charged 591.67 US dollars to extract three of my cat's teeth in the total bill, but they did alot of other procedures because my cat had a very bad breath and a drooling problem that turned out to be mostly from her bad teet(but she still drools a bit at times even after).

The breakdown:
Antibiotics 20
Feline Distemper/Rhino Calcivirus 58
Dentistry- Ultrasonic scaling + 3 extractions 45, 195
Biopsy 194
Hospitalization 25
subqfluids 25
medication clavomaux - 20

Now that I looked over this bill I quite pissed about them giving her an immunization without asking me since I am especially against such procedures and the medication proved really useless just causing me to spend time, effort and money only for the same drooling to persist in a moderate form.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rang - good luck with everything!

I am also pleased that the dental regimen I put my boys on has had a positive effect. My vet was also pleased with how the cats' teeth looked. Including Archie - especially since she had suggested extensive dental work for him because he had early stage Periodontal disease. When she opened his mouth to look - at my urging... her eyebrows shot up and she said Wow.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend in Los Angeles pays $400 for clean-up(sedation included).
Another friends of mine told me that her friend's cat had to get extraction, cost her 4 digits. Her cat is now completely toothless, only managed to eat(drink) liquid meal...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie had her teeth cleaned in April 2009, and I think total cost was $250 (anesthesia, bloodwork, etc.). At the time, I called the local vet school and it was $600 (yes, $600...their rates aren't as competitive as one would think). She's not a senior cat, but I don't know how old she is.

Mattie has to have her teeth cleaned again this week, and I'm just hoping she doesn't need an extraction. (They are taking a bump off her eye too...).

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For just a dental (cleaning, polishing)I paid about 100 dollars and some change. 1 "complicated" extraction in a separate visit was 89 dollars. Then to have 3 extractions (incisors) done, 1 root cavity cleaning, 2 days in hospital, anesthesia and fluids all cost a bit over 400 bucks. Which is really a steal since I was quoted 6-800 for it to begin with.