Dental Cleaning

CrystalBelleBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm hoping someone can ease my fears about dental cleaning. My girl is 15 and a tuxedo. She has got pancreatitis, but other than that, is fat and happy. The vet recommended last time we were in to get her teeth cleaned, which I agree she needs. Her breath smells horrendous. But I’m terrified that something is going to happen to her. Any words of wisdom?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - welcome!

Has the vet given you any recommendations regarding a diet?

Having a dental cleaning is necessary - the bacteria can cause multiple issues that involve other organs in the body including the heart.

You might want to discuss your concerns with the vet. If you don't feel comfortable with that clinic, maybe your area has a pet dental clinic, where that (veterinary dentistry) is all they do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrystalBelleBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - welcome!

Has the vet given you any recommendations regarding a diet?

Having a dental cleaning is necessary - the bacteria can cause multiple issues that involve other organs in the body including the heart.

You might want to discuss your concerns with the vet. If you don't feel comfortable with that clinic, maybe your area has a pet dental clinic, where that (veterinary dentistry) is all they do.
Thank you for the welcome!

They’ve told us we can give her the Kidney food that my other cat was on before we lost him. I can’t remember what the abbreviation was. But that seemed to be helping her, she hasn’t thrown up since she switched.

And we’re planning on telling them our concerns. But they did mention they’d be doing the bloodwork before hand

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrystalBelleBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is great news!

I can't tell for certain from the photo of her, but I thought maybe this chart could be useful, and the link below, if she is in fact overweight, can be helpful :);

https://www.purinainstitute.com/sites/default/files/2021-04/body-condition-system-cat.pdf

Obesity In Cats - A Comprehensive Guide - TheCatSite
Thank you very much, she’s only about 11.4 pounds which isn’t to bad, but it’s been a struggle to find out what to feed her. So this will help!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! My cat Nobel had a dental cleaning at 14. He did fine at his appointment. I had read some other cats having dentals at older ages and worse health conditions as him (Kitten Lady had actually had an Instagram post around that time as well as a couple YouTubers. This is some years ago now.)

My vet uses heart monitoring during the appointment and that is a comfort.

He had two teeth removed and I really believe that his dental added quality of life to his last years with us. We had him PTS a couple years later for heart issues (last Feb).

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Along with the routine bloodwork, you can ask them to include a snap proBNP test (checks heart function to some degree).