Dental Cleaning

Wolfsbane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my old cat Smokey (he's about 13ish) needs to have his teeth cleaned. He has never had them done as my parents never took any of the animals to the vet when I was growing up, so now he has a painful mouth and I don't know how bad it's going to be once they get a look at it.

My Smokey is my best friend and I am super worried about him having to go under anaesthesia for the cleaning and was wondering if there is anything anyone can suggest to help make this safer?

Are there any steps I should be taking besides doing the blood tests and possibly a urinalysis beforehand? And if anyone has done this with there cat how long is the recovery period if a tooth has to be pulled?
He is super picky about eating and I'm worried about him refusing to eat afterwards since he only eats wet food that has been warmed up and I usually have to sit next to him or he will refuse to finish it.

Any advice would be helpful thanks :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so great that you're taking your cat for a dental! Seriously awesome. Dental health affects other organs so you are doing right by him.

My cats haven't had to get a tooth pulled out yet so I can't give any advice regarding that. But after the procedure they should tell you to try feeding him in small increments so that he doesn't throw up. Anything you can do to make the wet meal extra special and tasty would be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wolfsbane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is so great that you're taking your cat for a dental! Seriously awesome. Dental health affects other organs so you are doing right by him.

My cats haven't had to get a tooth pulled out yet so I can't give any advice regarding that. But after the procedure they should tell you to try feeding him in small increments so that he doesn't throw up. Anything you can do to make the wet meal extra special and tasty would be good.
I was so scared when I found out all the stuff that could happen to him because of having bad teeth, I never knew these things well growing up my parents always told my cat's mouths where naturally clean. I wish I had known so that he wouldn't have had to go through any pain.

Thank you :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure that might be true for outdoor cats who are ripping flesh and chewing on bones. Otherwise they need dental help.

Well better late than never! He's only 13 so he will probably have many years ahead of him pain free thanks to you. :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible even likely that his current reluctance to eat is because of dental pain. If so, he might become a more eager eater once the pain is taken care of.

For a proper dental, there’s no way around anesthesia. The vet will need to examine and clean below the gum line which cannot be done properly without anesthesia.

My Krista had some teeth removed. You’re ahead of the game. She was a kibble-only cat for 13 years and had to become a wet food only cat overnight. That said, I don’t remember any downtime. As long as you stay ahead of the pain medication, give it when prescribed rather than waiting to see if he needs it. He’ll need it. Just keep him on a medicine schedule according to your vet’s recommendation.

You’ll also be given an antibiotic. Ask your vet for a probiotic as well to repopulate the good gut bacteria needed for secondary digestion that the antibiotic is going to wipe out. His digestion and stools will likely be off for the week or so that’s he on the antibiotic. Administering a probiotic either during or after a course of antibiotics will help get this back on track.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The risks of doing nothing are far greater than the risks of extracting teeth if they need to go. Cats are famously skilled at hiding pain. So if you can tell he’s in pain, he’s in more pain than you know.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my old cat Smokey (he's about 13ish) needs to have his teeth cleaned. He has never had them done as my parents never took any of the animals to the vet when I was growing up, so now he has a painful mouth and I don't know how bad it's going to be once they get a look at it.

My Smokey is my best friend and I am super worried about him having to go under anaesthesia for the cleaning and was wondering if there is anything anyone can suggest to help make this safer?

Are there any steps I should be taking besides doing the blood tests and possibly a urinalysis beforehand? And if anyone has done this with there cat how long is the recovery period if a tooth has to be pulled?
He is super picky about eating and I'm worried about him refusing to eat afterwards since he only eats wet food that has been warmed up and I usually have to sit next to him or he will refuse to finish it.

The blood tests are your best bet. Make sure the vet listens to his heart good and can be sure it's strong.
If a tooth, or teeth, are pulled, the vet will recommend you feed him some soft food for a few days. Warming the food is usually appreciated. Since Smokey already likes his wet food that's warmed up, he will probably do very good!
He might be only wanting his food when it's warm and might be refusing to finish it because he's got a tooth that's bothering him. I know when I have a tooth ache, the last thing I should eat is ice cream. ;) You might find that that after his teeth are cleaned up and any problems are removed, he'll become a foodie and might start begging you for more vs. needing to be coaxed to eat. It might take a few days, if his mouth is sore he might not want to eat (I never want to eat right out of the dentists office! :lol:), but after any discomfort goes away he will probably surprise you with his appetite.

They vet might send you home with some medications for inflammation or some pain medications. You might have to give them twice a day. If you're not sure of the best way to do this, ask the vet or a nice technician to show you how and explain to you their technique.
People here have a lot of good ideas on how to pill a cat, so if you need help, just ask. :wave3:

Most vets are happy to call you after the surgery is complete to let you know your cat is recovering well, is waking up and everything went normal. Ask them to do this to ease your mind. :)

krustylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am a new member and this is my first post and am so glad to have found this site! I am sorry to start with such a long post. It is about a teeth cleaning gone bad. Please read this and offer any advice!

My 11 yr old, DSH, cat got an annual exam (and her shots on 10/25) and we were told to clean her teeth. When they did they that (on 11/9) they also took two teeth claiming they need to be removed. After 30yrs owning cats it was the first extraction. She was fine, ate, was her normal self BEFORE surgery. I know they can be in pain and still eat, etc. but I seriously regret having the teeth removed since it has been exactly one week and she has not been normal since.

Since the first evening she has not eaten nor drunk more than a few teaspoons of anything. She was throwing up white/yellow foamy liquid for three days. She sleeps more than even normal for any cat we've owned (awake only about 2-3hrs a day now). Has had only 1 BM in a week but urinates a lot; I can tell since I clean the clumps daily. Hides - never does this. After the fifth day of this I called them and was told to take her off antibiotic two days ago (clindamycin; 2ml a day which I was worried about and asked for Amoxicillin drops but was refused since it wasn't broad spectrum); only improvement is no more vomiting foam. Wanted us to pay for an anti-nausea pill and another antibiotic. They never answered if lowering the clindamycin to 1ml was fine instead of paying over 100$ more medicine, or if she even really needed an antibiotic at all if she was starting/stopping it. She was given Onsior in the office before I even picked her up *even though I told the vet I heard bad things about it* but those days she did not eat or drink at all. Told us to change her food. We gave wet food, dry food, dry food mixed with broth, mixed with just water, various types of wet, various brands. I keep throwing out uneaten food, leaving a little of all types out, every day since I want it to be fresh and more appetizing. Food and water available 24hrs. The only thing I can get her to eat is about 3 greeniees. She will taste the broth but not finish it or the food if it is mixed with it. Even her coat seems dull to me, not its usual soft shiny self (people who pet her often comment on how soft it is).

The have been very expensive. The dental alone was quoted at 600, plus 200 for bloodwork, plus 80 for meds and they want more $ to see her again after these issues and more for additional meds; no follow up was ever scheduled even though I asked when I picked her up, nor included without paying for it. I feel like taking our cat to an emergency vet, but doubt I can afford this after all I have already spent. The vet won't make time to see her again until M afternoon; it won't be free either. When I asked if they would compensate if I wind up taking her to the emergency vet they said no. There aren't many vet options where I live so I don't even know if another vet would/could offer a 2nd opinion without charging a ton too. I worry every day I am going to come home from work and find her dead.

My former vet (18 yrs) retired. She saw us through the lives and deaths of five other cats and the birth and care of this one until now. The vet who did the dental bought the practice and this was only our first experience with her. She totally nickle and dimes us (charged even for the syringe to admin the antibiotic). Never did any pre-surgery antibiotic or even discussed it. So, my question is whether a cat will get liver issues or even die if she only eats about half an oz of food a day and drinks about the same amount? I am hoping that she can make it to M when I will have to miss half a day of work to get her back in there. I am not looking forward to it since I don't feel like I can trust them anymore.

Thanks so much for your help and time.
AL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wolfsbane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the responses, sorry I didn't get back sooner my computer was freezing everytime I tried to open this website.

I really appreatiate all the suggestions and feeling a bit more confident about it. :)

Smokey's bloodwork came back fine and he is getting his teeth done tomorrow.
The vet gave me a 50% discount since I have about 100 animals and most of them are rescues so I really appreatiate that. My vet is awesome!:yess:

krustylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice would be helpful thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Hi and sorry for the delayed reply. Another feral litter was born under our deck and I've been busy getting homes for them.

I started this thread a while ago when my 11 yr old had to have two teeth removed and it went very badly. I hope yours goes very well and you have a vet that is experienced. My only suggestions (beside blood work etc. that others mentioned) is 1) make sure they won't charge you for any follow ups, etc. I was charged for two and to add insult they prescribed meds for her that literally said "only for dogs" on it. Lucky for us, the folks who were watching her didn't give her any of it. Everyone I have spoken to since said that was ridiculous esp. since my cat had a bad reaction and went for about a week without eating or drinking which can/often is fatal for cats. 2) ask which antibiotic you are being sent home with. All of my troubles were eventually traced back to an allergic reaction to what we were given instead of what we asked for. 3) If possible, ask to see the xrays they took to make sure the entire root etc. was removed. Apparently as with humans, the "poison" toxins that a tooth extraction brings out can also make your cat sick if everything isn't removed. Or they might cause pockets.

I seriously hope that your cat does/did well. It took about a month for my cat to get back to normal, and only after firing the vet who worked on her.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am a new member and this is my first post and am so glad to have found this site! I am sorry to start with such a long post. It is about a teeth cleaning gone bad. Please read this and offer any advice!

My 11 yr old, DSH, cat got an annual exam (and her shots on 10/25) and we were told to clean her teeth. When they did they that (on 11/9) they also took two teeth claiming they need to be removed. After 30yrs owning cats it was the first extraction. She was fine, ate, was her normal self BEFORE surgery. I know they can be in pain and still eat, etc. but I seriously regret having the teeth removed since it has been exactly one week and she has not been normal since.

Since the first evening she has not eaten nor drunk more than a few teaspoons of anything. She was throwing up white/yellow foamy liquid for three days. She sleeps more than even normal for any cat we've owned (awake only about 2-3hrs a day now). Has had only 1 BM in a week but urinates a lot; I can tell since I clean the clumps daily. Hides - never does this. After the fifth day of this I called them and was told to take her off antibiotic two days ago (clindamycin; 2ml a day which I was worried about and asked for Amoxicillin drops but was refused since it wasn't broad spectrum); only improvement is no more vomiting foam. Wanted us to pay for an anti-nausea pill and another antibiotic. They never answered if lowering the clindamycin to 1ml was fine instead of paying over 100$ more medicine, or if she even really needed an antibiotic at all if she was starting/stopping it. She was given Onsior in the office before I even picked her up *even though I told the vet I heard bad things about it* but those days she did not eat or drink at all. Told us to change her food. We gave wet food, dry food, dry food mixed with broth, mixed with just water, various types of wet, various brands. I keep throwing out uneaten food, leaving a little of all types out, every day since I want it to be fresh and more appetizing. Food and water available 24hrs. The only thing I can get her to eat is about 3 greeniees. She will taste the broth but not finish it or the food if it is mixed with it. Even her coat seems dull to me, not its usual soft shiny self (people who pet her often comment on how soft it is).

The have been very expensive. The dental alone was quoted at 600, plus 200 for bloodwork, plus 80 for meds and they want more $ to see her again after these issues and more for additional meds; no follow up was ever scheduled even though I asked when I picked her up, nor included without paying for it. I feel like taking our cat to an emergency vet, but doubt I can afford this after all I have already spent. The vet won't make time to see her again until M afternoon; it won't be free either. When I asked if they would compensate if I wind up taking her to the emergency vet they said no. There aren't many vet options where I live so I don't even know if another vet would/could offer a 2nd opinion without charging a ton too. I worry every day I am going to come home from work and find her dead.

My former vet (18 yrs) retired. She saw us through the lives and deaths of five other cats and the birth and care of this one until now. The vet who did the dental bought the practice and this was only our first experience with her. She totally nickle and dimes us (charged even for the syringe to admin the antibiotic). Never did any pre-surgery antibiotic or even discussed it. So, my question is whether a cat will get liver issues or even die if she only eats about half an oz of food a day and drinks about the same amount? I am hoping that she can make it to M when I will have to miss half a day of work to get her back in there. I am not looking forward to it since I don't feel like I can trust them anymore.

Thanks so much for your help and time.
AL
I think you need to gather your records and see another vet...they haven't handled your cat well so far. And yes your cat can develop fatty liver disease if she isn't eating enough. Dentals are really good for any mammal but your cat is obviously having a complication and needs to be seen by a competent vet. You might also consider making your own thread to get some advice.

krustylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...And yes your cat can develop fatty liver disease if she isn't eating enough. Dentals are really good for any mammal but your cat is obviously having a complication and needs to be seen by a competent vet. You might also consider making your own thread to get some advice.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. I actually did start this thread some time ago! I posted an update and it said I fired the vet and although we haven't got a permanent one yet, I did find a great vet who determined the cat was allergic to the antibiotic. He's about 200 miles from our house and retiring otherwise we would have switched by now. Looks like our new one will be about 50 miles away.
Not sure why the posts are out of order but I'm pretty new and still learning how to participate. Thanks! AL

gorgod1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

gorgod1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am having dental surgery performed on my 17 year old cat. I am very concerned about the recovery. I understand that most cats die in recovery than while under anesthesia and that the anesthesia can change the cat's personality and behavior for a long time or forever. Anyone know anything about this?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having dental surgery performed on my 17 year old cat. I am very concerned about the recovery. I understand that most cats die in recovery than while under anesthesia and that the anesthesia can change the cat's personality and behavior for a long time or forever. Anyone know anything about this?
Krista had several teeth removed at 14. She came home a little woozy and wobbly from the anesthesia but she was back to her old self in no time. The only lasting changes I see is that she no longer pees the walls as a cry for help and that she has texture preferences now when it comes to food. She prefers something slurpable that requires minimal chewing. She will tolerate pates if she's hungry enough. And she really doesn't like shreds anymore. Oh and her kibble days are definitely behind her. Every cat is different but mine did quite well with the surgery and the recovery.

gorgod1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Krista had several teeth removed at 14. She came home a little woozy and wobbly from the anesthesia but she was back to her old self in no time. The only lasting changes I see is that she no longer pees the walls as a cry for help and that she has texture preferences now when it comes to food. She prefers something slurpable that requires minimal chewing. She will tolerate pates if she's hungry enough. And she really doesn't like shreds anymore. Oh and her kibble days are definitely behind her. Every cat is different but mine did quite well with the surgery and the recovery.
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. I have been agonizing about this dental procedure and I postponed surgery once. I am very nervous about it. I have to have it done within 30 days of the pre-op testing and the end date is January 12. I hope the vet is being honest in telling me my cat needs surgery. It is a very reputable animal hospital. You can't tell if a cat is in pain or not. My cat is acting pretty normal for 17. I know he must have some arthritic pain because of the way he moves sometimes, but I guess we can get meds for that. Even if he is not having pain in his mouth, I guess the teeth have to be pulled before they become abscessed. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck. I have had him since he was a year old.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. I have been agonizing about this dental procedure and I postponed surgery once. I am very nervous about it. I have to have it done within 30 days of the pre-op testing and the end date is January 12. I hope the vet is being honest in telling me my cat needs surgery. It is a very reputable animal hospital. You can't tell if a cat is in pain or not. My cat is acting pretty normal for 17. I know he must have some arthritic pain because of the way he moves sometimes, but I guess we can get meds for that. Even if he is not having pain in his mouth, I guess the teeth have to be pulled before they become abscessed. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck. I have had him since he was a year old.
I have 2 cats that have had 2 dentals each. They have always recovered well, but they are younger. I don't think the complications you mentioned are typical.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the size of cat teeth that are not their fangs, especially the front ones between the fangs. I think there are easier ways a shady vet would prefer to cheat you than performing dental surgery with teeth the size of sesame seeds. Don't put it off any longer. It will only get more expensive and more risky as the decay or damage proceeds, and as your cat gets older.

gorgod1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that have had 2 dentals each. They have always recovered well, but they are younger. I don't think the complications you mentioned are typical.
Thank you so much for responding. I will post on here once my cat has the procedure done.