Dental Cleaning?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys, my Bengal is 14 Year’s old, and had one teeth cleaning years ago. My vet insist on cleaning his teeth, and he has one chip tooth, one in the very back. I’m always nervous about this procedure. Should I just take him to the Vet? thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - Yes please.
When you do, be sure and tell them to be gentle with the intubation, and also when they turn the cat over to do the other side.
By having this procedure done you will be doing a very important thing regarding your furbaby's overall health due to the fact that dental issues effect other organs such as the heart. Also, down the road for your pocketbook by hopefully avoiding tooth removal. :redheartpump:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had a chipped tooth, wouldn't you go to the dentist to get it either capped or removed?

Not only can a chipped tooth be painful, if it's bad enough it can become infected. And, as Furballsmom Furballsmom has said, that can lead to other problems. The blood vessels in the mouth are very close to the surface, and infections in the mouth can very easily get into the bloodstream. This means infection can get to other organs, and especially the heart.

Tooth problems are no joke.

So, yes, please take care of your kittys teeth.
I understand having some concerns about doing the procedure. Have a good chat with your vet ahead of time. Some of the things I insist on is the use of sevoflurane for the anesthetic, oral antibiotics and pain meds (no injections unless short lived in system), and absolutely no Rimadyl (I'm a b**** on that one).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of the things I insist on is the use of sevoflurane for the anesthetic, oral antibiotics and pain meds (no injections unless short lived in system), and absolutely no Rimadyl
oh, this is FANTASTIC info - I'm copying it for my own big fella!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
heh... I've been going to my vet for going on 15 years, so she knows my drill. But whenever I have this conversation with a new vet in the practice, they are always somewhat amazed that I would rather pill my cats than give them a long term injection.

Thing is, once an injected med is in the system you have no control if there is an adverse reaction. You have to let it run it's course (which could be a month or more) and try to counteract the reaction with yet other medications. No thanks. With pills, if there is an adverse reaction, they can be stopped immediately and another alternative given.

As for Rimadyl, it is very commonly used off label for cats, even though the info paperwork on it very specifically says it it only for dogs and not to be used for cats. Seriously, I don't know why vets do this. Drives me nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks..I’ll take him this week. He’s been with his Vet ever since, so it’s good.