Dental Cleaning Under Anesthesia in Senior Cat

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our female Ragdoll cat is 13 years old. For the past 12 years she has undergo teeth cleaning once a year under anesthesia. The last two or three times she has had it though she took a long time to recover from it. She was very groggy, tired, lethargic, and did not eat for a few days after. She also displayed aggression towards us and her sister more so than she normally does post visit. She is very stressed out by going to the vet in general and normally they have to give her medication to calm her, this is even when she just has a routine visit . She is coming up to be due for her annual cleaning and I am hesitant to have it done. I know the chances are low for her to not come out of anesthesia but I am wondering if it's really necessary. Yes she has tartar buildup, no it's not horrible, and she has no problems chewing her dry food, there is no blood or irritation and she does not have bad breath. Every vet we have ever seen has pushed hard for the dental cleaning, making us feel like bad cat parents if we did not do it every year. They do the same for our Tuxie, but fortunately she does not have as bad of an issue with the anesthesia as the Ragdoll. I sometimes feel like the vets just want our money. I understand that infections can get into their system and cause illness or death. But how many people has that really happened to? Growing up we always had cats and we never had their teeth cleaned and all of them (four in total) lived to be 16 years or older. When they did pass it was not from teeth related issues. We have a plan that we pay for that covers this so money is not a concern for us. My question is how old is too old to undergo teeth cleaning and when do the risks outweigh the need? She is otherwise a very healthy cat, no issues. We have tried to brush her teeth, but it's a no go. We end up getting bit, and nothing gets cleaned. Last time we tried she actually urinated on the bed to get us to stop (she never does this). We have tried a gradual introduction as well to the brush I think it's just not going to work. Appreciate any advice especially for those with senior cats. Thanks for your help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can only go from my own experience. Of my cats (which is only a total of 3) none have/had ever had their teeth cleaned, and none have/had any issues with their teeth [knock on wood]. Feeby (15+yo) has the beginning signs of gingivitis/tartar on her teeth, but the vet said it is fairly common in a cat of her age and is not enough for him to consider taking action on it. I didn't ask him, but he may consider it too risky at her age to start dental cleaning/anesthesia - I will ask him about this aspect during her next semi-annual check up, just to see.

I do know some cats are just more prone to teeth issues than others, so perhaps your Ragdoll falls into this category. Given her age, doesn't she go in for a pre-dental cleaning check up? If so, you might ask the vet if it is really necessary to continue this process on a cat of her age. And, you might also ask about other alternatives to the sedative she has been receiving since she seems to be having some after-effects from it in recent times.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting a small amount of pet toothpaste on a Q tip and glide it over her teeth. It wont be as good a job as brushing but it may help and certainly not as stressful as brushing. Then you can postpone the cleaning and see how her teeth are in a few months.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think there's a water additive as well, you could look into that. My vet was actually able to dislodge a piece of tartar from Poppycat's tooth with her fingernail at one visit. She was pleased, not so much the cat lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think there's a water additive as well, you could look into that. My vet was actually able to dislodge a piece of tartar from Poppycat's tooth with her fingernail at one visit. She was pleased, not so much the cat lol
I will for sure look for the water additive. I doubt that the vet could get anywhere near doing that with our cat, she is very stressed by vet visits and any contact. If she even sees rubber gloves she freaks out.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also dental toys for cats. The product called Plaque Off. And tooth gels that don't require brushing. And dental treats or some dry food.

You are doing a pros-cons calculation and good vets do the same. Unfortunately, my understanding is dental cleaning isn't super effective anyway. Brushing and other forms of daily care seem to be more effective. Once a year dental cleaning... while I can't speak with certainity when studies are limited, it looks like it might be as effective as it is for a human getting a cleaning once a year which is not much. (Of course some other procedures like a detailed exam if the cat is in pain, or tooth extraction, etc these are a different story.)

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are also dental toys for cats. The product called Plaque Off. And tooth gels that don't require brushing. And dental treats or some dry food.

You are doing a pros-cons calculation and good vets do the same. Unfortunately, my understanding is dental cleaning isn't super effective anyway. Brushing and other forms of daily care seem to be more effective. Once a year dental cleaning... while I can't speak with certainity when studies are limited, it looks like it might be as effective as it is for a human getting a cleaning once a year which is not much. (Of course some other procedures like a detailed exam if the cat is in pain, or tooth extraction, etc these are a different story.)
I am going to research this and see what studies I can find. We have had quite a few vets all across the country as we have lived in different places and I felt like every single one pushed hard for the cleanings. If I had to do it over again I would have started brushing their teeth as kittens so they were used to it. I get cleanings myself two times a year and yes they help but would I die or get sick without them ? That’s highly unlikely so I think you are right that’s a good comparison. Thanks.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...just to mention, dental health, or the lack of, does have a definite effect on the rest of the body, including the heart.
I agree that it does, no doubt in humans and cats. But when doing a risk assessment on a senior cat in particular for me personally I take into account what could happen if I did not do the cleanings, versus the risk of putting the cat under. Poor dental health can cause a ton of health problems, but that's not a given. And I have known many people that due to lack of insurance and funds did not have dental health care for years (10 or more) and did not develop any health problems as a result. I also know people that have gone to the dentist three times a year for cleanings and ended up with tooth abscesses and cavities galore. It's just one factor that goes into an assessment of the overall risk.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes but your cat does get tartar buildup pretty frequently it seems. So you have to take that into part of the assessment. One of my boys needs one every year too but I stretch it out every 1.5 years.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will just say this, with yearly dental cleanings you are already doing so much more than most people do for their pets dental health :clap:. Some people are scared to put them under for a spay, or for a dental at only a couple years old.I have had dentals done on my cats and my current cat had hers done last July and she is 16 years old. Her bloodwork was perfect and the vets almost didn't believe me that she was that old until I told them and they looked into her eyes, you can tell by her eyes that she is old lol. She is fine and well. I would have her bloodwork checked and I am assuming her cleanings have been with the same vet and they know her and her recovery issues the last time? I am sure they can do things a little different, or have some more pain meds on board after or something. Either way, I wouldn't beat yourself up for skipping a year.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I wouldn't wait 14 years though... Cats know they need to eat to live so they don't just stop eating until the mouth is horrible. Cats hide any and everything that is wrong until the problem is far advanced, mouth included. I guarantee there is some tartar, gum disease, etc after 14 years unless you brush his teeth once a day minimum. At some point they need a routine cleaning or two to see what can only be seen under anesthesia and dental xray.