Dental care (need as much help as possible!)

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The age of my cats are 23, 17, 10, two are 7 and two are 3. I adopted all of them when they were kittens.
All of them chase a laser light, all of them eat well, use the litter box with accidents and they're all happy
and healthy with clean teeth and gums.
My vet has done a great job keeping the healthy.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The age of my cats are 23, 17, 10, two are 7 and two are 3. I adopted all of them when they were kittens.
All of them chase a laser light, all of them eat well, use the litter box with accidents and they're all happy
and healthy with clean teeth and gums.
My vet has done a great job keeping the healthy.
Fantastic, my question remains unanswered however.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Update*
I got some pics of one of my cats’s mouth (almost lost a finger doing it haha) and i wanted to get some opinions,the front teeth look fine as you can see but im concerned about the back ones..gums don’t seem swollen but that string of redness worried me.
im not even sure if its her gums or i might have brushed a little too hard? What do you think? Her breath doesn’t smell at all and she’s eating normally.
1A602FC6-9569-440D-A752-0DED99E4DD6E.jpeg
E563D11D-48A7-4A1F-8C9B-003723206719.png
2FA0323B-6A48-4724-A24C-03E86A38403B.png

Not sure if its plaque that can be removed by brushing or tartar? Is it an Urgent matter should i contact the vet?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat had surgery last week due to FORL so I'm overly cautious when it comes to dental health. For that reason, I would recommend calling your vet and asking if you can send the photos to them. You definitely took good pics and, although I'm not a vet, it appears to be more of a problem than brushing her teeth can fix. I know it's not an ideal time during the Covid-19 crisis but even scheduling an appointment once the mandatory stay-at-home order is lifted would be a good idea. Best of luck! :alright:

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat had surgery last week due to FORL so I'm overly cautious when it comes to dental health. For that reason, I would recommend calling your vet and asking if you can send the photos to them. You definitely took good pics and, although I'm not a vet, it appears to be more of a problem than brushing her teeth can fix. I know it's not an ideal time during the Covid-19 crisis but even scheduling an appointment once the mandatory stay-at-home order is lifted would be a good idea. Best of luck! :alright:
Yes the covid-19 crisis is exactly my problem,our vet will only accept urgent cases So i hope he will at least look at the photos :dunno: thank u and i hope ur kitty is doing better !

Last edited:

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a formidable panther you got.! Looks similar to what minish had side teeth yellowed towards gums. For gums I can't say minish has pink gums the pink got darker very little swelling and a darkened line (not red darker pink) towards the point teeth come out.
So it looks fine to me with my experience but of course I'm not a doctor or vet. They would know best. My human dentist agreed to see my pics and hear my symptoms and gave a prescription since it's too dangerous for them to see patients.
Now this situation is also frightening and I was too frightened for my future condition always checking my gums etc..
I'm not saying it's OK but maybe it isn't as troubling as you may imagine.
We can never brush plaque it has to be done surgically what we can do is prevent new buildup as owners. Besides that it's up to the vet. My vet's position on the issue is not to do any invasive treatment for mild cases since it requires sedation. I don't know about oral medication or if there is one at all. Neelys suggestion is the best hope your vet can help. If not, patience as you keep doing what you can do

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a formidable panther you got.! Looks similar to what minish had side teeth yellowed towards gums. For gums I can't say minish has pink gums the pink got darker very little swelling and a darkened line (not red darker pink) towards the point teeth come out.
So it looks fine to me with my experience but of course I'm not a doctor or vet. They would know best. My human dentist agreed to see my pics and hear my symptoms and gave a prescription since it's too dangerous for them to see patients.
Now this situation is also frightening and I was too frightened for my future condition always checking my gums etc..
I'm not saying it's OK but maybe it isn't as troubling as you may imagine.
We can never brush plaque it has to be done surgically what we can do is prevent new buildup as owners. Besides that it's up to the vet. My vet's position on the issue is not to do any invasive treatment for mild cases since it requires sedation. I don't know about oral medication or if there is one at all. Neelys suggestion is the best hope your vet can help. If not, patience as you keep doing what you can do
Well i definitly hope this doesn’t require a surgical treatement because she already got sedated twice last septembre for her spay surgery and i don’t think it’s good for her kidneys to go under a third time in one year :( even i need a dental cleaning but no dentist will open to see patients (the situation here is pretty bad) i hope you’re healing alright :heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets check the teeth with checkups, and will inform you if they need to be cleaned. I have been using water additives for years and it seems to help, my cats have never needed to have their teeth cleaned. I use Oxyfresh right now and sometimes Oratene. Just make sure it is made for cats and completely odorless.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets check the teeth with checkups, and will inform you if they need to be cleaned. I have been using water additives for years and it seems to help, my cats have never needed to have their teeth cleaned. I use Oxyfresh right now and sometimes Oratene. Just make sure it is made for cats and completely odorless.
I tried one brand of water additives and they hated it,they wouldn’t touch their bowls at all and i feared dehydration. The lockdown on my town made things worse because pet stores aren’t bringing new products,vets are closed and online orders are very limited...but i will definitly look for them once the situation has cleared a bit

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I had bought some that had mint added and they wouldn't touch it either. The two I mentioned are odorless, my cats drink it fine and they are very picky.