Demodex gatoi mites in all my cats

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my cats have demodex gatoi. I have tried the lyme sulfur dip. Besides being noxious smelling, it's not really helping. Within 4 days everyone is itching again.

I was wondering if anyone has tried flea shampoo containing permethrins? Obviously with a E Collar to prevent ingestion.

Bravecto is recommended but I would need to take everyone to the vet and that would be a couple hundred ($500+) dollars for all my cats.

I took a skin scraping and put it under the microscope... Could clearly see the mites on there. Short bodied demodex gatoi... Pretty certain this is what we have.

Any suggestions? I could dip everyone every couple days, but what a hassle (and a bunch of angry kitties).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. From what I have read, it can take weeks after the mites are dead before the itching stops. And it would seem it might take several dips to be effective. Do NOT use permethrins, they are toxic to cats. If you have the ability to continue to use skin scrapings after the lyme sulfur dips, that might be your best bet.

Why do you have to take all the cats to the vet for treatment, if it has already been proven that all your cats have it? Bravecto isn't cheap, but certainly can't cost that much for a treatment for all of them, does it? Revolution Plus is another option (albeit prescription too) if that helps any. It could take a couple of treatments of either of them to be rid of these mites.
Demodectic Mange in Cats (Demodex Mites)| PetMD

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you have? You said you did skin scrapings... yourself? And you looked under a microscope? Did all the cats (or some of them) go to a vet to get diagnosed with d. gatoi? If so, that's pretty contagious.

In any case, I'd recommend vet's diagnosis, and prescriptions for Bravecto, if your vet recommends that. It is expensive and you'll probably need two iterations of doses per cat (usually given every 10-12 weeks) -- but it might provide relief for them sooner than using the dips.

(I'm not a vet: you just asked for suggestions, so the above is my opinion.) :thumbsup: