Demanding behaviors

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and what to do about them? I've had Carly now for just under 2 weeks and while she's pregnant and gets a bit more leeway, I want to make sure that I start guiding her with proper behaviors now so she knows what I expect later. She's either a Himalayan or Himy mix but she's talkative and can be quite demanding. If I'm sitting at the computer she will come up and stare at me and meow. If I ignore the behavior she will start to stretch up and paw at me but today put a little claw into it. I told her no and didn't give the attention she wanted and she went on her way. Sometimes I think she's trying to tell me something because I didn't clean her box out last night (usually scoop 2x a day) and this morning it was pretty icky so I went and started scooping and she used it right away. She did this again later and I had no idea what she wanted. She had fresh water, food, clean litterbox, so I have no clue. She's not jumping up in my lap which I will allow but just staring and meowing. This might be pregnancy stuff, I don't know. I just don't want to start things now that I won't want later after her pregnancy is over.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pregnant and in a new home, shes looking for some reassurance, company, love........ I recommend placing a comfy chair next to you so she can lay down and feel a part of what your doing. Sometimes they simply need a hello, a scritch...........

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats Newt will paw at my leg when she wants attention. It's usually because she has decided that it's playtime. She will paw my leg then stare intently at me. She will paw, stare, paw, stare until she gets her own way. Newt is spayed so I would suggest that it is more to do with Carly wanting attention than it being due to her being pregnant. Ignoring her doesn't work so if I don't have the time to play with her I usually distract her with a toy. I have to admit though that I usually give in & play with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put her fluffy bed under the opening at the foot of the desk to encourage her to nap there but she didn't care for it yet. I'd love for her to just jump up in my lap and I'd pet her there but she wants it HER way which is to have me get down on the floor with her I guess. I'll try the toy thing next time.