Delayed FVRCP Reaction in 8 week old kitten

Caseymarissa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I foster through a local rescue. I have a 9 week old (tomorrow) kitten. On 4-10-20 Zeus and his siblings were vaccinated. 9 days later Zeus seemed lethargic, loss of body masss, dehyrdated with horrible diarrhea. I rushed him to the emergency vet where they did a parvo test, it was a 'weak positive' their words not mine :) . The gave him some fluids and cerenia and released him to me with a diagnosis of Paneleukopenia. I seperated him from his siblings and started supportive care. The next morning he was his normal self energy & appetite wise. It took him about 4 days to gain some weight and for the diarrhea to stop. I talked to my rescues normal vet and mine and both believe it was a delayed reaction. None of the other kittens showed any symptoms. He had his second booster on 4-26-20. He has now started to lose a little bit of weight again, and some diarhead as of last night, 5 days after the second vaccine. The vet also did a fecal in fear he may have a parasite but nothing was found so they gave me some Albon to treat for coccidia. Hes been treated twice previously with Strongid. I guess I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing by finishing his kitten vaccines even if hes going to get sick each and every time. I dont have much say and dont want to fight with the rescue because they help me SO much and SO well. Any insight & opinions would be helpful. Thank you all!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So did the fecal not find anything or did it find coccidia? Vaccine reactions usually occur right away. But if he had Panleuk and his immune system was weakened, and he was vaccinated again, that could cause him some issues. I doubt is solely the fault of the vaccination.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he has delayed reaction or is allergic/sensitive to the vaccines. I wouldn't give him any more vaccines since something is related to the vaccine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caseymarissa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So did the fecal not find anything or did it find coccidia? Vaccine reactions usually occur right away. But if he had Panleuk and his immune system was weakened, and he was vaccinated again, that could cause him some issues. I doubt is solely the fault of the vaccination.
The fecal did not find any parasites. They want me o treat with Albon regardless. None of these kittens showed any symptoms of anything until the 7 week mark when Zeus got sick. Which was 9 days after their vaccine. The vet also says the parvo test will test positive after a vaccine as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caseymarissa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like he has delayed reaction or is allergic/sensitive to the vaccines. I wouldn't give him any more vaccines since something is related to the vaccine.
Thank you! I also think this is what it is, but the rescue is adamant about him at least recieving his third and final vaccine. Poor guy has had a rough few weeks.