Delayed Complications/Nausea from Cystocentesis?

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my guys to the vet on Dec 2nd for their routine checkup. The vet did a cystocentesis as part of their senior panel and one of my guys had a bad reaction to it and had to be taken in the back and put on oxygen (he was open mouth breathing and panting). I left for a work trip that following Sunday, and he seemed to be OK, aside from being mad at me. Fast forward to Thursday and when I got home really late, I saw a ton of vomit in the basement, and witnessed him throwing up. Since then, he's been hiding and turning his nose up at food. He's drinking water and using the litter box. Could the stress from that experience have brought on pancreatitis or something along those lines? Any tips for foods that he might find more palatable? I am planning to call the vet in the morning.... he's now sitting on the couch with me, which is a good sign for him, but I'm still worried about him :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that your cat isn’t feeling well. I don’t think that this could be a direct reaction to cystocentesis, because all that procedure involves is using a syringe to withdraw urine from the bladder. I think you should definitely take him to the vet to get checked out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is he doing now? I agree with abyeb abyeb . Is there anything that he could have gotten into in the basement - something he should not have ingested? Did the vomit contain food - digested or undigested?

You can try something basic to start off with for food - baby food meats (no seasonings) as those are usually pretty easy on the stomach. You can also place his food (or the baby food) on a paper plate - for reasons unknown to me, sometimes cats who are sick or reluctant to eat will eat from a paper plate.

Keep us posted!