Delayed/cancelled vet visits and potentially damaging effects?

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Henry, has always been full of energy, with a big appetite, one so big that I've had to be careful he does not gain weight. In mid-May there were a few days when his appetite and energy were low and he was licking his lips, not at all in relation to his having eating. I got worried and called the vet (he'd already been seen in mid April for hot spots and "fur mowing" on his stomach and had an exam) and I was able to get an appointment within the week, despite their having restrictions on appointments and a wait time. Two days before the appointment Henry started heartily eating again and seemed back to himself so I decided to cancel the appointment and wait for his annual physical exam, which is every June and will take place tomorrow (Monday).

This past Thursday, he started having a low appetite again, though I'm not sure if this is because he's not very hungry or because I made the huge mistake of giving him treats on Wednesday. Since then he will not touch his dry food, only some of his wet food and his treats. (I only gave him more treats because he was eating so little of anything else). He also is back to not being his usual chirpy, vibrant self and has returned to licking his lips. I am so upset with myself that I cancelled the appointment in May. Normally, I err on the side of extra caution instead of casual when it comes to going to the vet. But back in May I was thinking he was better. Now I wish I hadn't. I am wracked with guilt that I may have made a poor decision. His hot spots are gone and he still self grooms daily and is affectionate with me and still visits the window he likes to look out, but his energy is not the kitten-like it usually is and I cannot stop thinking about his decrease in appetite. Today (Sunday) he has been especially low energy.

My concerns and questions are mainly these: is there any chance it's because Henry has had to adjust to having me home 24/7 and that I experience anxiety that I was getting help for before the lockdown? I've read that cats can pick up on their human's emotions, no matter how subtle and how much their human tries to hide their feelings, and that this can affect cats, physically and emotionally.

As much as I do not want to be the cause of any pain or discomfort for Henry, I also do not want to think there is a much more serious, physical problem going on. Has anyone else second-guessed themselves on calling or cancelling the vet, especially these past few months with safety measures in place at vets and restricted types of appointments? Can the time I lost when I cancelled be made up for or have I waited too late? Licking of the lips, I know, can be indicative of dental pain, but can it be of anything else?

As so many, many cats are to their human, Henry is the dearest, sweetest cat and companion and everything to me.

Any thoughts or feedback is very much appreciated!

Henry's human

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he just needs a physical exam. Check his temperature, heart rate, capillary refill, get some bloodwork done as well. Just in case. If you are extra paranoid, get a couple of x rays of his GI tract/abdomen/heart etc. X rays aren't real specific for anything, but I prefer to do random snap shots so if something does develop later on you have a comparison to start with.

What you describe it could be that he has a hairball in his stomach, he could have eaten something bad, be constipated, bored or depressed, or just having an off day.

I don't think you need to be super concerned. But it probably is time for a vet visit. I do like getting X rays on elderly cats- you might see things like an enlarged heart, any stones (kidney or bladder), or cancer (or something that might be nothing).

If you are worried about dental disease, ask to check his teeth too. But nothing you describe has me super concerned.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You have an appt tomorrow, so I think you are OK! Who knows what is going on - could be many things, could be nothing. I have a cat, who I assume to be much older than Henry, that has had off and on days recently - less food, etc. and then she's back to mostly normal, repeat, repeat. Feeby (15+yo) was due for her semi-annual geriatric check up in April, which I have delayed because I can't be with her during the vet visit. I deferred until I can be with her, but during her off days, I wonder...

Try some boiled or baked chicken for him and see if he will eat that. I suggest something mild like that because the licking of the lips could also be nausea from an upset stomach.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Pouncecat1 and FeebysOwner! Henry had his vet appointment this afternoon and the vet, through telephone while I waited outside in the car and Henry was still inside, told me everything checked out with him. His teeth were fine and the vet said his healthy coat and bright eyes were good indicators. Since he had a full work-up in late September before he had a dental cleaning, she said she was hesitant to do any further blood work and x rays. I hope this was the right thing to do, but I'm thinking it is. Some vet offices tend to run up charges, so I think that she was hesitant to do so means she didn't believe they are necessary.

She thinks Henry may be experiencing some effects from what has been going on the past three and a half months as she has seen several cats and dogs that have been exhibiting similar signs of behavior, but are otherwise okay. Henry, who is going to be 8 on Wednesday, was apparently very chill in the exam room and even cozied up to the vet and vet tech. She's not worried about his low appetite for right now because of his current weight and because she feels the heat could be a factor and he could easily go back to eating more normally soon.

He really is a sweet boy and I am so glad things seem to be okay. We do have a follow-up scheduled next month, just to see how he continues and for him to get a Feline FVRCP 3 year vaccine, though I am still wary of getting this and am not sure. He had to get his rabies shot today as it is Maryland law for cats to have them. But every year he is groggy for about 24 hours afterward and I just hate to see him go through this again next month. I was also reassured by the vet telling me not to hesitate to bring Henry back in sooner if anything else were to arise, but that she truly feels he is okay.

I hope this all makes sense. I spent most of last night and today so worried I am now exhausted and not thinking very clearly at this point. But I am very grateful to the both of you for your input and advice and wish you a peaceful evening. Thank you so much!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your description sounds like hairball related problems too. Months would support that idea assuming May and June are summer whery e you are. It could be constipation/harder stools caused by swallowing too much hair. Or just nausea brought by too much hair.

They say overgrooming belly might also be because there is pain there but it doesn't mean the problem is serious. My Hima for example once did that when she was constipated although I didn't know that until later. (She poops in the yard so I usually don't get to see anything.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear the vet doesn't think anything is wrong. I hope Henry's eating picks up soon! Below is a link to ideas on how you might try to 'jump start' his eating.

We do have a follow-up scheduled next month, just to see how he continues and for him to get a Feline FVRCP 3 year vaccine, though I am still wary of getting this and am not sure. He had to get his rabies shot today as it is Maryland law for cats to have them. But every year he is groggy for about 24 hours afterward and I just hate to see him go through this again next month. I was also reassured by the vet telling me not to hesitate to bring Henry back in sooner if anything else were to arise, but that she truly feels he is okay.
You can ask the vet when it might be appropriate to stop vaccinations, since Henry is 8 years old. Feeby (15+ yo) hasn't had them in years, and we even more recently stopped the rabies shot - most vets can override the state mandate if they deem it to be unnecessary or a possible health risk. But, Feeby is an indoor only cat and she is the only cat that I have - I am sure both played a role in the vet's decision to stop vaccinating her without being worried about any related issues.

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you run Comfort Zone or Feliway diffusers in your home? That might help him de-stress. I would also recommend trying some different brands of food, mainly all meat canned varieties and see if that helps.