Deformed Kitten, No Mother Near

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good job! Thank you so much for caring about them. They'll stand a much better chance of survival if you can bring them indoors.

Sounds like the mother was someone's pet that got dumped when she became pregnant. It happens.

:sigh:

I think the deformed kitten might be the runt of the litter. Malnutrition will make him much smaller than his siblings and make his eyes appear too big for his face. He'll look a lot better once he has enough to eat. You can mix KMR with canned food to make sure Mum gets enough calories.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 or StefanZ StefanZ can you give you some advice about feeding the kittens if they need extra help.

Please keep us posted.

:thanks:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think most had been said re feeding and such. Just to continue for you! :)

A scale is good to monitor if they add properly, ie if everything goes well and good. This is of course most important for the little one.
Some seems to nurse, but are bad sucklers - and thus - dont get anything or way too little. In these cases its important to step in and hand feed them - 100% feeding or part of it...

The pic - was it from the little one? It wasnt that horrible. He may perhaps have some persian ancestry, and got this gene as his share?
Anyways, I agree the looks its probably mostly the result of starvation and emaciation.

Human children when emaciated can too look as such.

For the notice: Dog food is handy to use as a quickie, and it was what you had at hand.
But Observe, its not good long term cat food. The nutrients not completely along with what cat needs.
So excellent to baite a hungry mom, good as snacks or trait if the cat fancy it, even some occassional meal - but not as base for their daily feeding.

Have them somewhere were its easy to clean - they may have fleas, and worms.

The dogs will become friendlier to them with time, when they realize they do belong to the house and are under your protection.

Tx a lot for caring!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe it is so great that the mom came back! Have you been able to move them inside?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are mom and kittens today? Were you able to being them inside?

Mom needs dry kitten chow 24/7, fresh water, and several wet cat food meals per day to make good milk and put some weight on.

Mom can also have a dish of KMR a day. She needs the calcium.

Mom can also have plain boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, and cheese.

We would love to see more pictures! Thanks for saving them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SugarCube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone is doing good! I got some dry and wet cat food and have been feeding the kittens some extra kitten formula, i also got a gram scale! Large grey kitten: 365 grams, Large orange kitten: 357 grams, Little grey kitten: 226 grams! They are inside.

SugarCube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are doing great and gaining weight like crazy, they are going to be checked by a vet tomorrow afternoon to see if they have any parasites and to see if the mother has a chip! Surprisingly my inside dog seems to have taken well with my new felines and has even licked them! My outside dogs still want to eat them though so that will take some time and work.

SugarCube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the mother did not have a chip but she and two of the kittens have a clean bill of health, besides having fleas of course! Sadly the small runt has a slightly deformed skull and spine, though the vet says she has a high chance of survival if given the proper medical care and if i'm prepared for any future disabilities. They are also being switched to soft food, does anyone have any recommendations?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I personally like Fancy Feast. The classic pates have meat as the first ingredient. :)

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed wet food to my foster babies. I guess any kind of wet is okay but they then need some dry kitten food or wet kitten food. There are a couple types of fancy feast that are actually pretty good. see catinfo.org for chart on wet food. Thank you so much for caring for mom and these babies!