Defecating Outside The Box

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello from Portugal
I have a 2 months old beautiful Scottish Straight Blue and the boy is giving me an hard time.
He knows how to use the litter without any problem but when he seems to forget it when on the living room.
He always tries or does defecate on the carpets. This evening he did it 5 time (yes five) and I'm getting desperate with this as my living room already smells like a dumpster eventhough we always try to clean everything thoroughly including with a bioenzimatic cleaner.
The litter is always spotless and we keep removing the urine and fezes. We use absorbent sand.
Why is the kitten doing this and can you give me some ideas to help preventing it as I'm really inexperience.
Thank you in advance

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Some litter issues are caused by medical issues, so you may want to check with your vet to rule hose out.

You might also try a second liter box, either next to the first (some cats just like to do their business in 2 boxes), or in the livingroom, placed on top of where he most likes to defecate in your livingroom...

You might also try placing a bit of the feces in the litter box, to build scent associations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
Putting a litter box in the living room is not an option especially where he likes to "evacuate" which is underneath the dining table. So imagine, where we eat is becoming the kitten new bathroom and the smell....
I'm thinking of closing the living/ dining room so he won't access it anymore but I really want him to be free within the house without limitations. I'm a bit stressed sorry.
Is there a product or something that I can use to detract him to use certain places?
Also what is the best way to clean these mistakes and clear the smell effectively?

I have an appointment with the Vet next Friday for vaccination, etc but I already tried to speak with him and he is away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A vet appointment is certainly in order! Other than that, there are cat attractants that can be sprinkled on the litter. I have no idea product names available in Portugal, but you could search the internet to find out.

To remove odors, I have used a product called "The Equalizer" which is effective in removing stains and odor, and does not require saturating the carpet/rugs. Again, not knowing if this particular product is available to you, you could search the internet. (I get it through Amazon.com)

Hopefully, you will hear soon from other members who may have suggestions for what can be used to detract your cat from going in undesired areas as well. I know I have read about some on this site, but have never had to use them before myself.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The litterbox, however undesirably located is better than the floor, but if it is in a bad location, you can start it there, and start slowly moving it somewhere less objectionable.

if you can't, you can't, but I just wanted to clarify that placing a litterbox in the spot doesn't have to be a permanent solution, so much as a way to help get things back under control.

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the help.
I have bought the Feliway Classic 60ml and have applied over the carpets and sofas just in case. For what it costed hope it's worth it...
I also bought a new litterbox so I will have 2 in different places.
I had the litterbox in the kitchen which is where we are the most but have moved it to one of the bathrooms and showed him where it was. He has been going there every time so far....
I will put the second litterbox on the 1st floor, which is not a place where he goes much yet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this when she's constipated. Things to try are increasing canned food for the moisture, hairball treats or paste every other day, also Indoor dry food has hairball stuff in it that helps with constipation.

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The food I'm using is the Royal Canin Mothers & Babycat both canned and dry.
I noticed that when he easy the canned food he defecate more frequently and almost in a rush. With the dry food he seems to be much more controlled.
I have 2 separated bowls and do not mix the foods and he keeps calling us which seems to be hungry of we only give him dry food during the day. With the canned food he eats as if was the end of the world andv then he starts bombing eheheh

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, yesterday I sprinkled the Feliway over the carpets and did not seem to work as I caught my cat right on time when he was preparing to drop a bomb.
I quickly grab and took him to the litterbox.
Seems like this lad is going to make me old fairly quickly eheheg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. Two months is still pretty young, so litter box accidents are not uncommon. However, defecating 5 times a day seems excessive. And since it's like he needs to go "urgently" it's no wonder he can't make it to the litter box.

How long have you had him? Has he been dewormed? Does he ever defecate in the litter box?

Since he's so young, he doesn't need access to the entire house. So I'd keep all doors closed that you can. And maybe even put him in a kitten-proofed room, with food, water, litter box and toys, when you leave the house.

It also sounds a bit like a food allergy. Maybe try different kitten foods and flavours.

Hopefully he'll feel better, and start using the litter box regularly soon.

BTW, can we see a pic of the sweet little boy.

How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much.

Yes, he does defecate a lot. 5 times was just over that evening because over the 24 hours de does it perhaps 7 or 8 times.

I have him since the 10th of October and the breeder also gave me a Vet Book (don't know the correct name sorry) which shows that the Internal and External Dewormed treatment done just a couple of days before, e.g., on the 8th of October.
This breeder had a lot of kittens around and on cages, not in the best conditions, especially hygienic, but I have to trust that it was really dewormed as its stamped and signed by a Vet....

Also, I took him to the Vet already to take the first shots and she decided not to do that day as I have mentioned the frequently evacuation and sometimes very soft and almost diarreia. She prescribed something to help regulate the stomach.

Next Friday I have a new Vet consult and the kitten is going to take the first shots if all is well.

I'm trying to rule out any disease as the kitten is very happy and always playing around, especially with the kids. Goes crazy with them.

I'm sure that if something was wrong he would be a bit prostrated and not so social....

He does use the litterbox almost 99% of the times, but when he is in the living room he seems to forget that he has a litterbox and this is what puzzles me. Added to my inexperience I cannot seem to find a relation on his behaviour.

At this stage he only has access to the living room when we are at home.
When we are away, living room and bedrooms are closed. He is free to use the rest of the house and no accidents so far.

THe kitten is called Jack, Jack Daniels :) and here are some photos of the naughty one
20181021_090418.jpg
20181021_201042.jpg
IMG-20181011-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20181018-WA0004.jpg

20181020_132513.jpg

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't mentioned, but every morning I feed as follows:
- soup spoon of canned food
- 40g of dry food

Each type of food in individual bowls.
He devours the canned food and then he eats the dry food almost to the end up to next morning.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jack is adorable. Is he only having accidents when you are home since he only has access to the living room then? With such a youngster try leading/taking him to the litter box every half hour to get him in the habit of going there even when something more interesting is going on. Still exhausting but hopefully less messy.

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks he really is a blast ;)
Basically yes, as we close the doors now when we aren't home.
But he had accident with us out and after that we have closed the doors.

We are now closing the doors when we go to bed, so he only acccesses only the same areas/rooms that when we are away.

That is a good idea. Since that at some point any of the 4 at home is messing with the kitten we can take the opportunity and show him the bathroom just in case. I'm going to try that for sure.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would increase the canned food, my cats get about 1/4 cup twice a day each along with their dry food.

Djuganight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You reckon that canned food is better than dry food?
When I was searching kitten, the majority of the adverts would mention that the kitten was already using the litterbox and eating dry food so I assumed that dry food was somehow better....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a paws-itively, adorable little fluffball. :catlove:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
canned food is better than dry food
I think the main reason is that they get most of their moisture from food. I have a 10 and 12 yr old and increased their wet food this summer. Both were getting fat and they self regulated to a healthy weight. Their coats feel better and are more active. I still free feed their dry but it now takes them 3-4 days to eat 1 cup vs 1 1/2 days before the change. I know there are other health benefits of wet but I can't remember them right now.