Decreased Urination

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out if my cats have a problem or if I'm just worrying over nothing. Two things happened this weekend. I read Dr Lisa Pierson's article about dry food and I immediately took both my cats off of it. They were on wet food three times a day and dry food left out day and night to munch on. It's now day four and they are on 100% wet food. I gave them a small forkful four times a day. Well, now that they don't have dry food they are not drinking much water -or any really - from their water bowls, my guess would be that they are getting their water needs from the wet food now (I also put about a teaspoon of water in with the food). When they had dry food they were drinking a ton of water and were urinating much more. Now there's been a drop off in output. I would say they are both going once a day now. My question is should they be going more or is this normal after getting rid of dry food and long visits at the water bowl? The second thing that happened was I changed their litter to a better clumping one. Could the problem be from that or primarily the change in diet?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a little stumped. They should actually be peeing more, not less, according to what I just looked up. I am a bit concerned about the amount of wet food you are giving. Depending on the size/age of your cats, it doesn't sound like enough to me. Or was the small forkful in addition to the regular feeding? I'm thinking that must be it. I'm going to link you to an article that I found. It does not, however, directly address your issue. There were others, but none of them specifically about this. You might want to give your vet a call, though.

Side Effects of Switching a Cat From Hard Food to Soft