Decluttering

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm *finally* getting around to it. I've got a box filled with DVDs and glass that I'll be taking to Goodwill tomorrow. You never realize just how much you have until you start deciding what to keep. I haven't even made a dent in my DVD collection yet.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We are doing the same. We have had ENTIRE TRASH BAGS of old/expired/broken stuff thrown out. It feels wonderful to know that's less stuff for you to move and organize! We've done our mater bath, the kitchen, and our dressers/nightstands. We still have closets (ugh).

On another note, please consider donating your DVDs (and whatever else you declutter!) to women's shelters/homeless shelters/whatever local organizations you have. Goodwill, as a company, is kind of scummy. I try not to donate to them if I can help it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On another note, please consider donating your DVDs (and whatever else you declutter!) to women's shelters/homeless shelters/whatever local organizations you have. Goodwill, as a company, is kind of scummy. I try not to donate to them if I can help it.

Or maybe a nursing home or other place. The nursing home my great aunt lived in had a tv room and a huge bookcase full of DVDs and VHS tapes. I think there were some kids titles thrown in so grandkids and other young relatives of the residents can watch too.

Definitely call and ask first if the organization is accepting any donations at this time and, what kind of donations they are looking for and how to best get the items donated safely (do you need to sanitize first?).

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are doing the same. We have had ENTIRE TRASH BAGS of old/expired/broken stuff thrown out. It feels wonderful to know that's less stuff for you to move and organize! We've done our mater bath, the kitchen, and our dressers/nightstands. We still have closets (ugh).

my vote would go for womens shelter my gf donates stuff all the time theres lots of women who escaped from abusive relationships with nothing but the clothes they left with

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember an article about where to donate items and a local organization featured in the article had said that the clients they serve tend to be plus sized women but clothing donations are mostly regular sized or petite sized or useless (swim wear and flip flops when the need was more business casual attire). Those donations had to be donated to other places. For organizations that cater to a specific group and need clothing, it would be best to find out what sizes are needed the most and what type of clothing.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We're remodeling our master bathroom for the first time since we bought the house 25 years ago. I spent all day yesterday going through the walk in closet and bathroom cupboards and drawers. Holy moly. I found a bottle of witch hazel that expired in 2010 :lol: and other things like that.

I now have several boxes and big bags sitting in the front entry of things to give away, along with another pile of stuff to throw away. I told hubby when we put in the new bathroom cupboards, we'll only need half as many as we had, now that we've finally cleaned them out. :lol:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago I woke up, looked at the cluttered bookshelves and without a 2nd thought threw all of them away (considering I also had a kindle version of each one). The ones that were good I took to a thrift store several hours later. I never looked back and have been endeavoring to live a minimalist lifestyle (minus my Wyze cams) since.

It's probably a good thing I did that though or I would have been featured on one of those hoarding tv shows before long