Declawing

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

The fact is, the apartment complex is not going to examine your cats for claws. The only way they will know is when you move out IF your cats have torn up the carpet or whatever.
Our apartment required a certification from the vet that they are in fact declawed. So some do check.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG.. how horrible.

I didn't realize they would do this. Fortunately for me, my landlord did not require my cats be declawed, otherwise I would have had to move.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Our apartment required a certification from the vet that they are in fact declawed. So some do check.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

OMG.. how horrible.

I didn't realize they would do this. Fortunately for me, my landlord did not require my cats be declawed, otherwise I would have had to move.

Devlyn
Yeah, I feel bad for the new kitten one of our neighbors recently adopted.
I know he will have to be declawed.

My cats were adopted as adults, and previous owners had declawed them. We just had to have the vet print something out saying they were done. As long as we rent, we will probably adopt adults who have been done already for this reason.
I can't justify a kitten having that done when so many declawed adults are in shelters & rescues. I saw a kitten the day after a declaw procedure many years ago, and I could never do that to a kitten.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

I am going to go with a yes on that. A declawed cat that mimics scratching isn't getting the same satifaction a normal cat gets from scratching. When cats scratch they are stretching and exercising muscles in their legs and backs. THIS FEELS GOOD. The resistance is what makes it work for them, without nails they just don't get it.
Maybe that's why my previous declawed cat (done by the people we adopted her from) scratched so much/hard... When she scratched things it was always edges and corners (such as the edges of out kitchen chairs, which were vinyl-coated) and she grabbed the edge with her paws so that there WAS resistance, and looked exactly like a cat with claws would scratch things. Or maybe it was because she was declawed as an adult so she was used to scratching and just kept at it as a habit.

holliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll never declaw a cat again. I had Hollie declawed when she was 9 months, and had behavior problems from that day forward. Hostility, improper elimination, you name it. I think she bacame depressed, and even her posture changed, to the point where her backbone didn't look normal. I'm sure she lived the rest of her 16 years in pain. I'll never forgive myself. Our new kittyboy is 5, has all his claws, and loves his scratching post. He loves manicures too. Just train your kitty EARLY.

runningwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guess from your research you found out it removed the first knuckle of the cat. The major risk of surgery is getting put under (where most human and animal deaths occur).

I've had my female for 12 years now. She's never even come close to scratching anything but her scratching post. And I didn't need to train her for that.

Best way to train a critter not to scratch anything but the scratching post is to get a "rope" one. This way the cat gets used to the texture and doesn't think "the post is carpeted so the floor is OK to scratch too". Give a "good boy/girl" when they use the post. Have a water pistol handy and give the cat a little tweak from it when s/he wants to use the sofa instead of the post.

With a little bit of training and patience it pays off.

Also another thing to consider is what if the unforeseen happens and the cat gets out (bringing in groceries, fire, natural disaster). Being an indoor cat s/he will be at a disadvantage trying to survive outdoor. Not having claws is a virtual death sentence :(.

*I tried to avoid the emotional hot button for this topic even though I am very much against declawing*

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, this thread is over 5 years old.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't matter how old this thread is. The information is still current. Declawing is still inhumane, it is still banned in over 26 countries around the world (and 8 cities in California) and cats are still suffering life time pain and crippling and being dumped in shelters or on the street after having their toes amputated.

It's good when an informative thread like this is brought back up. :)

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

Last edited:

runningwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
never know when someone does a web search and will come up with the post. I know in some of y research for stuff I have read ancient posts and still came away with information that was useful :)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
never know when someone does a web search and will come up with the post. I know in some of y research for stuff I have read ancient posts and still came away with information that was useful :)
That's fine, I was just letting you know, since you were giving advice to the other posters, that you probably wouldn't get a response back or even have your response read by anyone who originally posted in this thread because most of the people who responded to the original thread aren't even active on the site anymore. Another reason I mentioned this is because there are probably two dozen newer declawing threads, since every person who thinks about declawing their cats creates a new one (there are three threads that pop up on the site all the time, regardless if there is an identical thread or not: declawing, "what food should I feed my cat," and "what breed is my clearly moggie cat?"). So there are probably still threads on the subject that are new enough for the people who posted in them to still be active and looking for advice.

alyn73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
babyharley's newest cat, Bayley, had to have some claws removed due to infection. also, if the person/owner has a some type of medical condition, where cat scratches could be life-threatening, [hemophilia, AIDS, etc.] i can see where a declawed cat would be better. however, there are plenty already available - even if that were the preference, one could simpley adopt an already declawed cat, like my Chip.
Unfortunately, the part about immunocompromised people needing to declaw the cat is untrue. The CDC, US Public Health and NIH all do not recommend declawing for people with compromised immune systems. Because of the behavior problems that can be caused because of declawing, it actually puts these people at greater risk of infection or reaction to do this. Biting has been shown to be worse than scratching because bites are usually deeper than scratches. Cat saliva also contains a great deal of harmful bacteria as well as the allergenic protein FELD-1. Declawing is actually the worst thing to do to prevent aggression issues. Common sense is better.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I think some people may kill me for this but I would like to be the one to tell the other side of the story. FIRST OFF I don't agree with declawing and I do agree is it cruel and best left for medical emergencies only. However, I had my two done. I will explain but I just want to say if you have to get it done or want to -against everyone great advice here- use the lazer. it costs more but its much easier on the cat.

Okay, explaination.

Im only 21 but last year I bought a house that I had been saving for since I was 15 (deposit lawyer etc). I shortly after took in 3 homeless kittens and rehomed 1 (I got them their shots dewormed etc first). The other two I kept and still have and WILL have until they pass. I have and will always feed them the best foods I can - I am actually looking into raw atm. When I had them fixed I turned down the declaw that they would add on for 50 bucks or something. They were very good at scratching their tree or posts and if they did scratch something I redirected them.

just after they were fixed my house was redtagged by the city and I had to leave immediately. I moved in with my parents while my house was worked on.. 8 months. My cats had their tree and posts and were fine. One had I looked behind the door and there was  scratch  marks all the way threw the wall- from then on I tried redirecting- blocking the spot (they would choose another) and keeping the nails trimmed.. well I was already doing that but still. I tried nails caps but they would eat them off right away.. they were obsessed with chewing them all off. I spoke to the vet for options and they said all the ones I knew already and I spoke to a group online who said the same things. They now had 4 spots were the drywall was removed to the paper backing (which I gues they had no interest in). They would not scratch their tree (tried moving their paws on it, catnip etc).. just drywall. Dad found out it was either fix it now- or they are gone.. and I had no where to go and I love my cats to death and theres no way they are going to live with someone else. The kitten I rehomed to a carefully chosen home lied about everything and leaves her outside and I would never trust someone with any animal I have raised again. Anyhow. They were declawed. they had a three day drug for pain killer and no stiches or glue or bandage because the lazer does all that. They had no behaviour change- don't mind litter (I used a paper one the vet told me too for a few weeks but they will use anything I put out for them now), no aggression (if anything they are more loving because they can play with us without us ending the game because it gets to intense (painful scratches)), they still use their tree and jump on and off high stuff. They allow their back nails cut and people can handle their front feet no problem. They don't dislike us or any other people and infact we introduced a dog to them that was staying with us .. they were one year old and had never seen a dog and they don't mind him at all. Diago will sleep with him.

Anyways. My point is though I tried everything and had to have it done, I am still against declawing. I just wanted to give someone the other end of the story- and because someone is going to end up learning my cats are declawed I may as well get it over with here.

Oh and to the person who said don't rehome them and about the risk of them getting outside. I agree. I actually have a barrier up so you have to go threw two doors into my house so even if they slip threw door number one- door number two isn't open to the outside.

Okay I know someone is going to hate me now.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I think some people may kill me for this but I would like to be the one to tell the other side of the story. FIRST OFF I don't agree with declawing and I do agree is it cruel and best left for medical emergencies only. However, I had my two done. I will explain but I just want to say if you have to get it done or want to -against everyone great advice here- use the lazer. it costs more but its much easier on the cat.

Okay, explaination.

Im only 21 but last year I bought a house that I had been saving for since I was 15 (deposit lawyer etc). I shortly after took in 3 homeless kittens and rehomed 1 (I got them their shots dewormed etc first). The other two I kept and still have and WILL have until they pass. I have and will always feed them the best foods I can - I am actually looking into raw atm. When I had them fixed I turned down the declaw that they would add on for 50 bucks or something. They were very good at scratching their tree or posts and if they did scratch something I redirected them.

just after they were fixed my house was redtagged by the city and I had to leave immediately. I moved in with my parents while my house was worked on.. 8 months. My cats had their tree and posts and were fine. One had I looked behind the door and there was  scratch  marks all the way threw the wall- from then on I tried redirecting- blocking the spot (they would choose another) and keeping the nails trimmed.. well I was already doing that but still. I tried nails caps but they would eat them off right away.. they were obsessed with chewing them all off. I spoke to the vet for options and they said all the ones I knew already and I spoke to a group online who said the same things. They now had 4 spots were the drywall was removed to the paper backing (which I gues they had no interest in). They would not scratch their tree (tried moving their paws on it, catnip etc).. just drywall. Dad found out it was either fix it now- or they are gone.. and I had no where to go and I love my cats to death and theres no way they are going to live with someone else. The kitten I rehomed to a carefully chosen home lied about everything and leaves her outside and I would never trust someone with any animal I have raised again. Anyhow. They were declawed. they had a three day drug for pain killer and no stiches or glue or bandage because the lazer does all that. They had no behaviour change- don't mind litter (I used a paper one the vet told me too for a few weeks but they will use anything I put out for them now), no aggression (if anything they are more loving because they can play with us without us ending the game because it gets to intense (painful scratches)), they still use their tree and jump on and off high stuff. They allow their back nails cut and people can handle their front feet no problem. They don't dislike us or any other people and infact we introduced a dog to them that was staying with us .. they were one year old and had never seen a dog and they don't mind him at all. Diago will sleep with him.

Anyways. My point is though I tried everything and had to have it done, I am still against declawing. I just wanted to give someone the other end of the story- and because someone is going to end up learning my cats are declawed I may as well get it over with here.

Oh and to the person who said don't rehome them and about the risk of them getting outside. I agree. I actually have a barrier up so you have to go threw two doors into my house so even if they slip threw door number one- door number two isn't open to the outside.

Okay I know someone is going to hate me now.
Oh and they still scratch drywall- they just cant ruin it anymore. And I forgot to mention Diago started it and taught Misty so both were doing it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because they are "fine" now while they are still kittens does not mean they will always be "fine". There are many long term complications these amputations cause.

Please keep the following in mind, because your two cats will need very special care and consideration now, all their lives:

Cats hide pain instinctively so you will never know how much pain your cats may have all their lives. Their gait has now been changed forever, they can't walk right any more, which throws all their other joints and muscles, tendons and ligaments out of whack. They can't ever stretch those muscles properly anymore, because they can't get the proper grip with their claws when they stretch.

They are subject to early painful arthritis, and obesity, because they, as adults, are less likely to want to play and move around as much.

It may always hurt what is left of their toes to scratch in litter.

So now it is even more important than ever that you feed them a healthy diet (low carb canned or raw) to keep them as healthy as they can be and to control their weight, use a soft litter, learn to massage them daily to help slow down the arthritis, keep them active.

You say you "don't agree with declawing and you think it is cruel" and yet you did it anyway. That makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just because they are "fine" now while they are still kittens does not mean they will always be "fine". There are many long term complications these amputations cause.

Please keep the following in mind, because your two cats will need very special care and consideration now, all their lives:

Cats hide pain instinctively so you will never know how much pain your cats may have all their lives. Their gait has now been changed forever, they can't walk right any more, which throws all their other joints and muscles, tendons and ligaments out of whack. They can't ever stretch those muscles properly anymore, because they can't get the proper grip with their claws when they stretch.

They are subject to early painful arthritis, and obesity, because they, as adults, are less likely to want to play and move around as much.

It may always hurt what is left of their toes to scratch in litter.

So now it is even more important than ever that you feed them a healthy diet (low carb canned or raw) to keep them as healthy as they can be and to control their weight, use a soft litter, learn to massage them daily to help slow down the arthritis, keep them active.

You say you "don't agree with declawing and you think it is cruel" and yet you did it anyway. That makes no sense at all.
They arnt kittens they are 1yr and 3 months now. This was 6 months ago I believe. and they play a lot. They leap for their toys on strings. And yea I am switching to raw I actually have a post on here about it, Trying to find Canadian sources. And i'm lucky because mine never scratched their litter much anyways.

I had to have them done or live on the street as my parents are my only family. I could have give them up but if you like I can link you to the three shelters in my area that all have more cats than cages. Most people here seam to leave their cats to stray and get another when it doesn't return (I'm sure not everyone is like that but there are many). To explain what I meant in owning up with my story is that some cats do better than others with the whole aggression thing. What if someone has been told by their vet their cat needs to be done and come across this thread and read the stories.. they are probably going to be scared poopless . If its a medical situation (and I know nothing about medical stuff but I noted above people mentioning it) it would be nice for them to hear its not 'the end of the world' and that with proper care and extra precautions they can make It work. 

This is not meant to be an argument, I'm just clearifying what you said. I would still like to use these forums to gain information and work on my guys raw diet, so I don't mean to step on any toes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are still very much kittens at 1 year 3 months old. 6 months ago is not "long term". I think it is important that you understand what is likely to happen to them when they are older.

What I mean by long term is years. 3, 4, 5 years. When they get older, it is very likely that they will have painful complications such as arthritis in their back (spine) and legs, this is inevitable because they can no longer walk or stretch properly. This can happen as early as even four or five years old. Cats normally don't start suffering from arthritis until they are much older than that, 11 or 12, but cats who have had this done to them start much younger, and so suffer longer.

Remember that cats hide pain, so you have to watch them very very carefully as they age to see the signs. I'm glad you are going to feed them a raw diet. You will get lots of expert help with that in our raw forums.

Just for general information, declawing of cats is outlawed in almost every civilized (and some not so civilized) country in the world except USA and Canada, because it is considered inhumane and cruel. 8 cities so far in the USA have banned declawing, and more are expected to pass bans in the next year or two. There is also movement in Canada to ban this unnecessary procedure.

People all over the world have cats who keep their claws. There is always another option.

Training takes time and effort and consistency, but can be done.

Last edited:

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, and I always keep a close eye on them. I had tried the nail caps but they were eating and pooping them out ..at least 8 daily. And thankyou for the info on the early authritis ..that I actually hadn't heard nor did my vet mention which anoys me to say the least. I do notice a slight gait change in misty. Diago still walks the same as far as I can tell but he could have been walking wrong to begin with...he has always stomped about like his is in charge. Now when you say keep them active is that to benifit the authritis or just their weight?

Because diago runs back and forth threw the whole house like a mad man top speed for about 20min every morning ontop of playing all evening. Benefitial?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is important that cats stay active throughout their lives for many reasons. To control their weight, keep their muscles and joints healthy, promote good blood circulation, promote healthy digestion and digestive motility, helps prevent urinary tract disease, good for their heart and lungs, and so on.

The running Diego is doing now is normal activity for a kitten. At their age they should be pretty much running all day long. :) My Queen Eva is over three now and still needs a lot of interactive play time every day to keep her out of mischief.

The trick is to keep up a good level of activity even after they lose that kitten energy. That's one of the reasons why it is important to establish a habit of routine interactive play now. You aren't only training them, you are training yourself to devote several half hour time slots a day to playing with the cats.

The more you play with them yourself, the more they will play.

Weight control is important for all cats,. but especially cats who have been declawed. Cats walk on their toes. They put their full weight on them. Since their toes are now partially amputated, carrying any extra weight can cause them a lot of pain. The extra weight will also cause more stress on their back and legs, since their gait is already affected.

The raw diet is the best thing for them. That diet, along with keeping them active, and teaching them to accept a daily full body massage to help them stretch and ease cramped and tight muscles, tendons and joints will go a long way toward helping to prevent or at least reduce consequential pain later in life.

Last edited:

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou, that's even more encentive for me to feed raw. I'm just trying to find a place to buy affordable meat at this point.
Can you give me some pointers on the masaging?