Declawing A Special-needs Kitty... Justified?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Given your choices, I would have no problem sedating her for the nail trim. To me it would beat declawing. I do not have extensive cat experience, but the one declawed cat I knew was a biter. Big time. Since declawing is know to increase biting, AND cause its own set of problems...sedation would be my go to. And the cat behaviorist if you can afford it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we are going to talk about drugs prescribed by a vet to help with relaxing a cat in order to get their nails are trimmed, I don't see why another option couldn't be valium. You could talk with the vet about a particular pill dose given at home prior to taking the cat in to the vet, or else the vet can give a quick-acting injection of valium. It's a really great muscle-relaxer for many cats. You could even discuss with the vet about doing a small dose at home in future instances before you yourself trim the nails (and thereby avoiding a vet visit).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubblesMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick update!

We visited our vet yesterday and were given an RX for gabapentin! Going to try it tomorrow morning before a nail trim appointment and see how things go. Hoping this is our solution!

Awwww... she's a cutie pie. :catlove:
But what's the little b̶r̶a̶t̶ cat doing in the dryer! :catman:
I made the mistake of leaving the door open after emptying it, and like a moth to a flame, the brat sought out the cozy warmth!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubblesMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried putting cat nip on the cat scratchers? I have to do that when I bring a new scratcher in the house, just to get the cats to go to it.
I have, but even that doesn't hold her attention for longer than a few days, even with reapplying. She's just not a very cooperative scratcher, hehe.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, bless your heart! I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope the gabapentin or SOMETHING works soon! :grouphug:

We've had some cats who just weren't interested in using a scratching post, but they were willing to scratch the crap out of things around the house, like heavy sisal mats, thick throw rugs, the edge of the couch, untreated landscape timbers, etc. Pretty much anything they could sink their claws into and that provided some resistance so they could really throw their weight into it. Hopefully you can find something for your fur baby to scratch on that tickles her fancy. :)