Declawed cat is acting strange...

sheilajp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my Tessa about a year ago from my friend who moved out of the country. She was a rescue and im not sure of her background. Shes a himilayan cross and over the past year shes warmed up to me alot. Shes declawed (really sad. i would NEVER declaw a cat. its like cutting off someones fingers) and I think she gets really discouraged when i try to play with her and she cant grab on to the toy.

I started having a few problems with her about 6 months ago. She started crapping on the bed when no one was looking. She will usually do it when im away for the day (I often work long hours) even if my husband and daughter are there. She has never done it when im home. When im on the couch watching tv she will lay right by my head like a hat (really cute!) but as soon as my family shows up she scurries away. Do you think maybe shes being possessive?

Lately ive been getting worried because she will hide under the bed all day and only come out at night. Im really worried!!!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be very picky.  How many litterboxes do you have?  Do you have other cats?  The rule is 1 litterbox per cat but some cats prefer 2.  1 for #1 and 1 for #2.  But, it can also be the litterbox itself.  They like it super clean and with certain litter.  Have you changed litter types on her recently? Often litter can be painful or irritable to a declawed cat so they need very fine litter. Or are you and the family keeping up on cleaning it out (at least twice if not 3 times a day)?  Another thing can be if you got a new litterbox recently, it could be the shape or the fact that it's covered.  Contrary to belief, cats often do NOT like covered litterboxes.  They feel confined and cats don't like feeling confined.  It could be where it's placed.  Have you moved it before she started doing this?  Move it back 

But the biggest thing is, cats often try to alert us that something is wrong by going in inappropriate places.  She may be sick.  Has she been to her vet to be looked over?  She could be sick or upset about a recent change.  My advice is to have her checked at the vet if none of the above apply.  If she checks out fine, then try to think of any change, no matter how small, that could be upsetting her.  Winter is often boring to cats.  She may just need played with more and more stimuation. 

I would say not to allow her access to your bed.  If she can still smell it, and she can, she will keep doing it. 

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I second a vet visit first thing. Cats can hide illnesses really well, and would sometimes show small signs (going to bathroom outside the litter box)

Once the vet gives the kitty the all clear (or gives a diagnosis), then we can look at the behavior.. like P3 said above, it could be the litter, the box's location or anything. I'd try Cat Attract litter. Considering she's declawed, she might still associate the litter as pain to her toes. she may need to be re-trained.

Another thing, she only does it when you're not around.. she may be missing you. Try to play with her more often. give her lots of hugs and treats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheilajp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a lil lump in her side and the vet said to monitor it for a couple months. Ive been monitoring it and its been getting smaller and bigger and smaller again. I think the best thing would be to get a biopsy on it and then take it from there. Maybe its causing her some pain or maybe its the litter she uses. I have been using 'swheat scoop' and she hasnt had any complaints until recently. I was thinking i should maybe go back to pellets because it wont get stuck in her little paws. Before anything im going to take her back to the vet and then take it from there. And, of course, ill make sure to give her more cuddles and love.

We clean out the litter box frequently. In fact, nothing has changed except ive been working more.

Thanks for the replies!! Theyre so helpful!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd also say have the vet take another look at her, just to be sure.

I have a 9 y/o Himi who is declawed also (rescue). She's finicky about her litter & litterbox types, I actually rotate or she'll start having more 'out of the box' moments. She *has* to have a box in the basement, and even then she poops on the basement floor - but at least it's not upstairs in the main part of the house, or on furniture! She can use a box w/ a certain type of litter for months, then suddenly no longer use it. :dk: