Declaw or Not?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
There is a movie out on declawing that our members have highly recommended.  It's called the Paw Project Movie.  The website:  http://www.pawprojectmovie.com/  will tell you where it is streaming.  Here is the link to the organization behind the movie:  http://www.pawproject.org/   If your roommates were to watch this movie or read some of the information on the web site, it might help them to understand why declawing for anything other than medical necessity is a cruel and inhumane thing to do.

I hope you can convince your roommates to stop making this demand.  

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get nauseated just reading this thread. DON'T, DON'T declaw your cat. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. Please do anything to prevent declawing your cat.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this person does not declaw their cat I will be suprised. They keep using the excuse the ppl I live with etc. thats what most of these kind of ppl use as a excuse to chop off their cats claws. then later they wonder why their cat wants to bite their face off and they pee all over the floor. and like the other user post the links to pawproject which i have been talking about in most of my posts I would lik to thank them for posting the link to the stuff but like I said it dont seem like it will help.

If I'm be harsh i'm sorry but I have delt with ppl in the usa who used these excuses as a means to get their cat declawed. and some have just followed along like little sheep/little kids because they dont have the guts or will power to stand up for their cat and protect it from uneducated idiots.

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this person does not declaw their cat I will be suprised. They keep using the excuse the ppl I live with etc. thats what most of these kind of ppl use as a excuse to chop off their cats claws. then later they wonder why their cat wants to bite their face off and they pee all over the floor. and like the other user post the links to pawproject which i have been talking about in most of my posts I would lik to thank them for posting the link to the stuff but like I said it dont seem like it will help.

Unfortunately, I fear you are right; one can see exactly what is likely to happen, and the inevitable outcome. :(

1. Cat gets declawed, despite all the advice and info as to why this is an appalling thing to do.
  2. Cat returns traumatised and in agony after being mutilated.
  3. Cat starts biting, won't use the litter-pan, messes everywhere, and becomes generally miserable, savage and unmanageable.
  4. Owner says their cat is savage, and increasingly is unable to cope.
  5. After putting the poor cat through this appalling mutilation in the first place, and now unable to cope with numerous issues caused entirely by something that could and should have been avoided, cat is surrendered to shelter.
  6. Overtaxed, and having already too many abandoned and unwanted cats to try to rehome, shelter cannot spare more than very limited time in attempting to rehome a cat who is suffering a plethora of behavioural issues.
  7. With no viable alternative, cat is PTS! :(

Unfortunately, this is both a common and likely scenario.

Declawing is, without doubt, one of the most brutal, pathologically cruel practices ever perpetrated in the name of veterinary medicine! :( Whilst many owners know no better, and do not understand the terrible harm it can cause, I find it utterly inconceivable, with all the information available regarding the appalling consequences, that any vet not a natural, in-born sociopath, could justify such a procedure.

As I type this, I have one of my eight-month-old kittens lying on my lap (actually, she's just jumped down to go to have something to eat). The thought of having her mutilated in such a fashion is utterly sickening. If you have any consideration for your cat, do not do this. If truly there is no other alternative, send the cat to a home where it may keep its claws. But do not have it mutilated.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I kind of got a little too close to his face.  I think he thought I was trying to block him from the door and did not like it.  But he isn't a cuddly type.
Well I kind of got a little too close to his face.   So common sense tells you the CAT IS NOT TO BLAME  

I have doubt a Vet would even consider Disfiguring an animal for you.  Best to Rehome asap.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Magister I'm glad I'm no the only one thinking this. It's sad really.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The people who live with me think that my kitty will maybe hurt others. Like a little kid.
When my cat Pushy was a kitten we were playing and he accidentally caught his claw in my eyelid. Not a pleasant experience!! I healed up just fine, and Pushy grew up to be a cat who rarely uses his claws when playing with us.

And on another note, so what if a kid gets scratched? People act like it's the most horrific thing imaginable. When we were kids we got scratched all the time playing with our cats and the general opinion was "well, you have to learn to play more gently". Cats have a right to defend themselves, no matter the age of the human. If your cat is not the cuddly type who wants to play, then the people in your household have to learn that and leave him alone.

gingy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat Pushy was a kitten we were playing and he accidentally caught his claw in my eyelid. Not a pleasant experience!! I healed up just fine, and Pushy grew up to be a cat who rarely uses his claws when playing with us.

And on another note, so what if a kid gets scratched? People act like it's the most horrific thing imaginable. When we were kids we got scratched all the time playing with our cats and the general opinion was "well, you have to learn to play more gently". Cats have a right to defend themselves, no matter the age of the human. If your cat is not the cuddly type who wants to play, then the people in your household have to learn that and leave him alone.
Well, looks like catsrworld  is MIA and went ahead with the declaw.  Hoping he hasn't.

Growing up in the 70s, my first cat was a ferocious feral, that I took in one evening as a young teenager against the wishes of my parents then.

I got scratched up pretty good, but after about 3 months, he was sleeping in my bed and my scratches subsided.  I learned to speak "cat" and have rarely been scratched since.

Kids are too pampered these days.  Of course, they can't fall off their bicycles anymore, because they're too busy gaming in front of their computers. Heaven forbid "a cat" crosses their path on the way to the fridge.

Declaw = toe amputation = pain & suffering (lifelong) = animal abuse

Hope NY state will become the 1st state to make it illegal. 

Last edited by a moderator: