Deciding whether to show again

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As most here know, I used to show my Persians. I stopped when my husband got sick and the pandemic hit. My husband has made great strides toward independence recently. He can even get up slowly without assistance. Now he is wanting me to start showing again since it makes me happy. He even said he will do it with me as a social outlet, He isn’t quite ready yet as far as rehab goes. I am not certain that I can commit to doing it again. I have so much work. I am still taking care of everything and my own health isn’t the best anymore. I WANT to do it though. I think he will go with me ( if I do it) for a few times and then be bored again and stop. I also don’t have a cat to show. The only possible one is Sterling and he hates it so much I won’t torture him. I think given the time and money( neither of which I have!) he could possibly get a national win. Hubby wants to buy another cat. He says I am making excuses. Maybe I am, I don’t know.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Now he is wanting me to start showing again since it makes me happy. I WANT to do it though.
I quoted two sentences above that tell me this is your passion. Plus I think it would really help your husband to heal after everything he's been through with his health these past few years. Maybe Sterling would cooperate too. 😻 I guess that's why there's this saying, "Just Do It!" And if it helps you have all of our support.:grouphug:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure about Sterling. To show his hated of being shown in his last show he bit me. I really don’t want to torture him with it or risk him blowing and hurting the judges.
I understand you're thinking of him and it's not worth stressing him out or making him unhappy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have access to a couple of lower maintenance breeds ( Burmilla or Siberian) for little to no cost by fellow breeder friends. Truthfully my heart belongs to the Persians. After losing Sunny a year and a half ago unexpectedly I feel like it best if we don’t add any more pets. I missed something with him and he died. I thought he was just off his food. That was right after my husband had his transplant so my attention was elsewhere.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not 100% sure how cat shows work, but, would you be able to volunteer help for your breeder friends while at shows so you can get your feet wet in it again without having to commit to having another cat? And if you get "bitten by the bug" again, you'll know and can make decisions from there. It might be good for you and your husband to get back into the game without having to invest a lot of money into it from the get go.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi posiepurrs posiepurrs ! You already have lots of positive advice from other members, and I particularly like iPappy iPappy 's suggestion above. I just wanted to add my hardline opinion: if a cat does not like being shown, please don't make them do it :heartshape:
I would NEVER force a cat to show if they don’t like it. They are my pets first so I don’t want them unhappy and a cat who resents being there could be dangerous. I have heard of judges being hospitalized after a cat blows in the ring.
What about getting a shorthair HHP? They don't take nearly as much work getting ready for a show, and you could get back into showing just for fun.
I'm not 100% sure how cat shows work, but, would you be able to volunteer help for your breeder friends while at shows so you can get your feet wet in it again without having to commit to having another cat? And if you get "bitten by the bug" again, you'll know and can make decisions from there. It might be good for you and your husband to get back into the game without having to invest a lot of money into it from the get go.
If I got another cat, it would be a pedigree. I have shown up but I enjoy the competition of the pedigree rings.
I have been asked by a friend to help her show her Siberians since she is also the show manager. She needs help. I am not certain I can do it though because the show is less than a month away.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember you posted about your quandary a while ago, and I tried to give you a way to bounce your thoughts off me then. This is such fantastic news to hear about your husband!, and bless that man's heart that he's so supportive of you 💞

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such fantastic news to hear about your husband!, and bless that man's heart that he's so supportive of you 💞
He has been like that all of our life together. He is the reason I started showing in the first place. I mentioned I thought it looked like fun so for our 25th wedding anniversary he bought my first show cat- a shaded silver Persian. Posiepurrs cattery was born the day I picked that kitten up.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I sincerely hope Gabapentin which the vet prescribed for Jack helps and they are able to get bloodwork next time. :vibes::vibes: But I also hope you are able to look into getting the silver exotic which would mean less grooming for you.