Death Breath

Pishara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again everyone, I recently added a stray to our Family. When we took him in he had breath that smelled like roadkill. Over time it has ever so slightly improved from roadkill but remains unbearable (can smell across the room if he yawns) took him to the vet to have his teeth checked and she said they were very clean and healthy. She said he has what they call kitten breath and and gave no indication of it going away or anything to make it better. Anyone out there have any experience and suggestions for this? Thank you in advance!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Kitten breath usually goes away after they reach 3-4 months and have been on cat food for awhile instead of milk. At least that’s what I’ve found. But if you’re feeding a lot of dry food that could be a factor. A lot of bad breath is caused by not having enough saliva. That will also cause rotting teeth later down the road. I use zymox brushless gel in my cats mouth once a week maybe twice along with their diet being half wet food. Their breath will smell though. No matter what you do. I think it just comes with the territory. Make sure you have dental cleanings done ever 5-6 years. And yearly/byyearly X-rays done of his teeth. As most tooth rot occurs under the gum line where it isn’t visible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pishara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are unclear how old he is the vet wouldn't give us an estimate only saying he very young we think he is about a year old. He is on a high protein dry food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I found that when I added a couple of thawed out nuggets of Primal Pronto frozen raw food to the Big Guy's regular canned food, his breath improved quite a lot, and the odor of his poop decreased as well. You could try adding wet to your boy's diet in either canned or some raw, or just raw (Primal, Radcat as examples) and see if that helps.