Dear anyone with an "Indoors Only" cat.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

How long did it take till your cat adjusted to the lead? And is there a certain type that works better? I tried the lead once and both my cats were very freaked out. Even in apt lobby they did the baby howl thing and belly crawling then frantic scratching at door. I assumed it wasnt for them but maybe I didnt try long enough. They also hated the pet stroller. I thought it wasnt offering the freedom they want but a new kind of trap? because they didnt feel safe....without the option to run and hide if trouble came their way. ?
I don't know if it's because he's a Bengal, but mine took no time at all - I put him on the harness,  opened the back door and off we went. I let him dictate how far he wanted to go and the first day was not far at all because of nerves I guess. We spent about an hour sniffing the garden and just outside it and he wanted to go indoors. Slept like a baby after that too! I think tho that it was no fuss to him because he really wanted to go outside and he twigged this was the only way.   After that, we went out 2-3 times a day and explored more and more.  I did this for a week and at the end of that week I put a catflap in and let him go out on his own. He would only explore neighbourhood gardens to begin with, and he would ask me to go with him for walks further. Tbh, I think that this was the best thing I could've done, he got to know the area safely and he built up strength and confidence, all a lucky guess on my part.  He never really got scared if we met someone or saw a dog - he'd never seen a dog so he had no idea about them and didn't panic, just simply sat down and watched them from a distance.

I did read up on it first and the advice was to let them wear it indoors first, until they get used to it. It's one of those body harness ones, goes around the belly and the neck - I'd read that neck only, like you do with a dog, makes cats panic.   Then after that, let the cats choose how far they want to go. If your cat's don't take to it tho, I wouldn't force them (not that I think you would), and I really do think letting the cat dictate on lead walks is the best.  I will say it is slow going tho  - mine sniffed every blade of grass to learn where he was and you need a lot of patience!

Last edited:

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Actually in my mind, the ultimate solution to the indoor/outdoor debate is cat fencing or netting. For all the arguments there are against cats being outside and all the data on a cats true natural needs for outdoor experiences this can solve a lot. It is a compromise considering the roaming area is greatly reduced but still, the ones that yearn for the outside can have that. I have even seen metal sheeting placed on higher up branches of trees to protect birds. If I had land I would for sure use netting and let my lovelies have full access if they wanted.
My own cat came from a house with a large netted garden and it didn't help him at all. He would still sit by the doors and windows of the house to get out. I do think it's good tho and helps a lot of cats out mentally, his old housemates, apart from one who tries to get out, seem content with the garden.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't know if it's because he's a Bengal, but mine took no time at all - I put him on the harness,  opened the back door and off we went. I let him dictate how far he wanted to go and the first day was not far at all because of nerves I guess. We spent about an hour sniffing the garden and just outside it and he wanted to go indoors. Slept like a baby after that too! I think tho that it was no fuss to him because he really wanted to go outside and he twigged this was the only way.   After that, we went out 2-3 times a day and explored more and more.  I did this for a week and at the end of that week I put a catflap in and let him go out on his own. He would only explore neighbourhood gardens to begin with, and he would ask me to go with him for walks further. Tbh, I think that this was the best thing I could've done, he got to know the area safely and he built up strength and confidence, all a lucky guess on my part.  He never really got scared if we met someone or saw a dog - he'd never seen a dog so he had no idea about them and didn't panic, just simply sat down and watched them from a distance.

I did read up on it first and the advice was to let them wear it indoors first, until they get used to it. It's one of those body harness ones, goes around the belly and the neck - I'd read that neck only, like you do with a dog, makes cats panic.   Then after that, let the cats choose how far they want to go. If your cat's don't take to it tho, I wouldn't force them (not that I think you would), and I really do think letting the cat dictate on lead walks is the best.  I will say it is slow going tho  - mine sniffed every blade of grass to learn where he was and you need a lot of patience!
I am going to give it a go then one more time. I do have one very wild kitty and although I cant let her explore on her own where I live this might help. I know she suffers from being indoor only so every blade of grass will be no problem for me, possibly a joy. Thank you very much

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My own cat came from a house with a large netted garden and it didn't help him at all. He would still sit by the doors and windows of the house to get out. I do think it's good tho and helps a lot of cats out mentally, his old housemates, apart from one who tries to get out, seem content with the garden.
There is heavy pressure in the States to keep all cats indoors all the time. I don't agree for many reasons, the netting compromise is for the human debate cats are stuck in. And to keep them safe from those humans who would poison...But it does my heart good when i see a cat happy outside roaming range open and free to indulge his/her full nature for sure.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Apartment without garden living is quite a different experience to houses as the cat doesn't have the option of fenced or netted areas unless you use one of those boxes that sit in an open window, and the outdoor habitat is often crowded with people and other cats which results in stress from shared territory and unpredictable environment such as fast traffic.  The harness is one option and  I have tried it, both with my current boy and the 2 girls I had before.  I'm lucky in that they did all get used to the sensation of the harness itself and didn't flop on the floor or roll about like I was trying to kill them every time I put it on.  None of them begged to have it on or to get out the door once they'd had the experience though, which I know can be an issue.  If you start and your cat likes it then Fleabags mom's 2 - 3 times daily routine is going to become an essential component of your day and there are plentiful tales of wailing cats on this site to indicate it is hard to ignore if you attempt to shirk!

I'd definitely go for a jacket style rather than simple strapping; they are generally easier to get on and harder for the cat to get out of than the plain strapping ones, never mind the reduced sensation of pulling at the neck which is mentioned above.  I have one which can be used as a car safe harness as well in place of being in a cat carrier though I am yet to test out that function because of Mouse's reluctance to go beyond the apartment landing on his harness.

My girls would go out in the car and have walks out at the beech and other open spaces when they were young.  Fleabags mom isn't exaggerating when she says you need a lot of patience.  My cats were more intent on exploring and checking out when walking anywhere.  I didn't feel it was an essential part of enriching their lives, it was something I could offer if they seemed to enjoy the experience and indicated they wanted it.  I have yet to have a cat that indicates it genuinely enjoys it and requests to be taken out.  I have had 3 cats that have been very relaxed and happy in their home surroundings, gave no indication of feeling stressed (other than 1 that was bullied by her sister and that would have happened what ever their environment short of living blocks apart). The one girl that did try to get out would occasionally succeed - she would be caterwauling at the door to the block within minutes, panicked, and in need of considerable reassurance when she came back in.  Rapid encounters with other local cats and fast cars were not to her liking. If you provide a safe and enriched home territory for them to explore and feel safe in, with plenty of spaces at high and low level, and a range of toys and games to keep them busy, an indoor life probably makes for a considerably happier and safer cat in an inner city environment. 

Last edited:

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

There is heavy pressure in the States to keep all cats indoors all the time. I don't agree for many reasons, the netting compromise is for the human debate cats are stuck in. And to keep them safe from those humans who would poison...But it does my heart good when i see a cat happy outside roaming range open and free to indulge his/her full nature for sure.
It's just difference in attitude ( quality v quantity) and circumstances. For example we do not have the wild creatures you have, like coyotes for example so there is less danger there.

And yes, people who hate cats are evil, those people and cars I would say are the greatest threat to cats in the UK. But it is seen as cruel pretty much in the whole of Europe to keep cats indoors. I don't have a problem with it on a whole, but again, I think the cat should dictate a lot of it's behaviour - it does have instincts and needs.  I know some folk, my neighbour for one who's cat only goes into the garden and never further which is the cats choice.  I would say tho that with me being from the UK and having the attitude I have that it seems like a lot of folk in the USA are thinking they are doing the kindest thing by keeping in the cat, but to me it seems like the cat, keeping it in together with declawing, is more like a toy than an animal or that the home is kinda like a mini zoo.  Apologies for offending because I know that will offend some, esp as this is an American site.

Last edited:

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's just difference in attitude ( quality v quantity) and circumstances. For example we do not have the wild creatures you have, like coyotes for example so there is less danger there.

And yes, people who hate cats are evil, those people and cars I would say are the greatest threat to cats in the UK. But it is seen as cruel pretty much in the whole of Europe to keep cats indoors. I don't have a problem with it on a whole, but again, I think the cat should dictate a lot of it's behaviour - it does have instincts and needs.  I know some folk, my neighbour for one who's cat only goes into the garden and never further which is the cats choice.  I would say tho that with me being from the UK and having the attitude I have that it seems like a lot of folk in the USA are thinking they are doing the kindest thing by keeping in the cat, but to me it seems like the cat, keeping it in together with declawing, is more like a toy than an animal or that the home is kinda like a mini zoo.  Apologies for offending because I know that will offend some, esp as this is an American site.

I wish i was in the UK then. I do think along those lines...I only recently heard of Roger Tabor and his studies which reassure my feelings. He has tracked cats in areas of traffic and noted that they do naturally stay away from busy roads, although everything is a matter of degrees. Mine is a no go logistically, Many here in the States are manipulated by anti cat propaganda and dont even realize where their fear for letting cats out is promoted by those who wish there were no cats. I feel to love a cat is to love all the cat, all its nature.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Apartment without garden living is quite a different experience to houses as the cat doesn't have the option of fenced or netted areas unless you use one of those boxes that sit in an open window, and the outdoor habitat is often crowded with people and other cats which results in stress from shared territory and unpredictable environment such as fast traffic.  The harness is one option and  I have tried it, both with my current boy and the 2 girls I had before.  I'm lucky in that they did all get used to the sensation of the harness itself and didn't flop on the floor or roll about like I was trying to kill them every time I put it on.  None of them begged to have it on or to get out the door once they'd had the experience though, which I know can be an issue.  If you start and your cat likes it then Fleabags mom's 2 - 3 times daily routine is going to become an essential component of your day and there are plentiful tales of wailing cats on this site to indicate it is hard to ignore if you attempt to shirk!

I'd definitely go for a jacket style rather than simple strapping; they are generally easier to get on and harder for the cat to get out of than the plain strapping ones, never mind the reduced sensation of pulling at the neck which is mentioned above.  I have one which can be used as a car safe harness as well in place of being in a cat carrier though I am yet to test out that function because of Mouse's reluctance to go beyond the apartment landing on his harness.

My girls would go out in the car and have walks out at the beech and other open spaces when they were young.  Fleabags mom isn't exaggerating when she says you need a lot of patience.  My cats were more intent on exploring and checking out when walking anywhere.  I didn't feel it was an essential part of enriching their lives, it was something I could offer if they seemed to enjoy the experience and indicated they wanted it.  I have yet to have a cat that indicates it genuinely enjoys it and requests to be taken out.  I have had 3 cats that have been very relaxed and happy in their home surroundings, gave no indication of feeling stressed (other than 1 that was bullied by her sister and that would have happened what ever their environment short of living blocks apart). The one girl that did try to get out would occasionally succeed - she would be caterwauling at the door to the block within minutes, panicked, and in need of considerable reassurance when she came back in.  Rapid encounters with other local cats and fast cars were not to her liking. If you provide a safe and enriched home territory for them to explore and feel safe in, with plenty of spaces at high and low level, and a range of toys and games to keep them busy, an indoor life probably makes for a considerably happier and safer cat in an inner city environment. 
Yes, until I win the lottery and have acres netted in. Or maybe even have a sanctuary like this lady...

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I wish i was in the UK then. I do think along those lines...I only recently heard of Roger Tabor and his studies which reassure my feelings. He has tracked cats in areas of traffic and noted that they do naturally stay away from busy roads, although everything is a matter of degrees. Mine is a no go logistically, Many here in the States are manipulated by anti cat propaganda and dont even realize where their fear for letting cats out is promoted by those who wish there were no cats. I feel to love a cat is to love all the cat, all its nature.
I had no idea of the propaganda.. interesting. Will go read about that! Thanks.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I most definitely have screens on my windows. They provide a physical barrier, but also a psychological one too.  Cats seem to understand that they are also a type of window.

One of the best things we did was build a shelf that was window height and then put soft beds on it. The cats spend a lot of time there. There are also other surfaces that are outfitted with inviting cat beds. So cats have vertical space and not just floor space. I also have catnip toys, plain catnip  on hand as well as wheat grass for the cats to munch on. 

I provide a scratching post (cardboard surface). If I had room for it I would have a cat tree. The newest addition was first housed in a spare room and has claimed that as his space. He was a former stray. For a while he was pining for the outdoors but now he is seemingly not interested. It could be that we are in a deep freeze for the past few days.

The first cat we adopted arrived with no front claws and so she was clearly not to be outdoors but that is the cat that wants out the most. In warmer weather we take her out on supervised visits. She seems happy with that arrangement. I tried the harness and lead thing but she just rolled around like a seal.
They also keep insects out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Apologies for offending because I know that will offend some, esp as this is an American site.
Actually, this is a misconception. The site owner isn't American, nor does she live in the U.S., and our members are scattered throughout the world. The site is hosted in the U.S., and the majority of its members are from North America, but it's an international site.

I don't have much to add, other than that screens especially made for pets, such as Pet Screen [also available in Europe] or TuffScreen [UK product], are worth the higher cost. Cat netting or grates would be an alternative. If you have a balcony, it can be secured with cat net to allow some safe outdoor access.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Out of the 8 cats I've had none of them showed any interest in leaving the house.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first question you should ask, is why, are they not getting along, but, you now have that anser. The other kitty is pregnant, and acting exactly, how a pregnant kitty would act, and that, is territorial, against all other kitties. If the other kitty had been spayed, the present owners, would not be going thru this issue, and having to rehome the kitten.  So, the fighting issue, is man made, the result of the present owners, not being responsible pet parents.  So rest assured, this is not the fault, of the prospective adoptee kitten. 

Since the resident kitty is not spayed, most likely, the kitten you want to adopt, is not spayed either, and if you are considering her, you need to put that at the very top of your list, and get her spayed.  So you need to ask that question, I am betting, she is not. 

The others gave you very good suggestions. Lots of toys and scratchers and cat condos, and access to looking out the window.

Mine are indoor only, they are show kitties, and yes, they will sit on command. They are highly trained and very well behaved. They didn't come like that, already assembled, lol, from the breeders, at 8 weeks old, they were trained and taught, manners and responsibilities, what they can do, what they cannot do, and what I ask them to do. There was a very lot, of assembly required, lol.  Be very glad to help you, teach her. It does take time, and a very lot of patience.

Mine sit in the window, with the window up, with a screen, and watch the birdies, squirrles, and what the neighbors are doing, lol, they were taught, not, to claw or climb screens, it was a very simple process, and they learned it in 3 days, but they also already had the basics of training in them. 

Tell your bf, mine sit, fetch and come when they are called, as well as about a zillion other things, lol, he can come watch, but, it costs a quarter, lol, and thats cash money, no checks, no credit cards, lol.

Nobody addressed the food issue, but you want to feed a grain free, gluten free, soy free, byproduct free feed, preferrably wet, mixed with water, so its like a thick soup. 

You should have 2 boxes, for 1 kitty, large and bedded deep, scoopable is better than the clay, and boxes should be picked every day, and placed in a quiet out of the way area.

Give her lots of love, pets and attention, and decide ahead of time, if you will allow her to sleep with you, and have a contingincy plan, if you won't allow it.

Let us know, what you decide, I hope you get her, she deserves to be with loving responsible parents, such as you and your bf, and not in the irresponsible situation, she was put into. Would love to see pictures of her.  (((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))     

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, this is a misconception. The site owner isn't American, nor does she live in the U.S., and our members are scattered throughout the world. The site is hosted in the U.S., and the majority of its members are from North America, but it's an international site.

I don't have much to add, other than that screens especially made for pets, such as Pet Screen [also available in Europe] or TuffScreen [UK product], are worth the higher cost. Cat netting or grates would be an alternative. If you have a balcony, it can be secured with cat net to allow some safe outdoor access.
Cool, thanks for that. I don't suppose it matters because it seems a lot of folk who are on here are American and I wanted to apologise. I guess the apology is the most important bit. It is after all just a point of view.

I do have to ask tho, if so many people's cats show no interest in going outside, why the need of netting or pet screens?

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of the 8 cats I've had none of them showed any interest in leaving the house.
That's good! As I said in an earlier post, I believe we should let the cat dictate to a certain extent. Cats that do not want outside - no problem. A cat that wants to go outside badly, like mine, that was a problem.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great advice that has been given. Screens in the windows are important if you are going to have the windows open. My cats have alwaus been indoor cats and I have never seen anything showing that this has stressed them out. I do have plenty of toys around for them to play with, a cat tree that sits in front of the window along with a chair in front of the window that can be used for lounging and sunning.

My 13 year old guy when I got him 10 years ago came from a multi cat household in which he wasn't getting along with the other cats. When I got him I was told that he was going to need to be an only cat. A couple of years after I got him circumstances had changed and Riley, my cat and I moved back to my parents' house. They had a resident cat that was already living there. After taking time to do slow introductions they lived peacefully together in the same space. Not best buds, but there was no fighting either. During the few years that we lived at my parents, Tiger the resident kitty had passed and my mom got another cat, along with taking in two other cats that had belonged to my uncle, but he was no longer able to keep. During that tine Riley did fine with the other cats. A couple of years later I got my own place and it was just Riley and myself again. I decided to introduce another cat into our household Jinx. Riley and Jinx did well together until Jinx got out of the apartment and I was never able to find him again. About two years later when I moved into another apartment I got Taz as an 8 week old kitten. It took a little bit of time but eventually Riley and Taz became buds and I would find them curled up sleeping together. Eventually they started playing together and even grooming each other. Two years later I brought two more kittens into the household. Riley has accepted them, it has taken a some time and sometimes he is the grumpy old man but there is peace.

With this kitten that you are looking to get it is possible that eventually you may be able to introduce another cat. Some of the big keys to success is to get to first know the personality of the first kitty. Some cats never do well in a multi cat household, but some I think just need a different setting. Both cats being fixed I think is important also. Most people will suggest when adding another cat, to add an adult that you already know what it's personality will be like, since the personalities of kittens can change as they grow. So far I have had no issues with getting kittens, and they seem to learn to respect my older guy.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Cool, thanks for that. I don't suppose it matters because it seems a lot of folk who are on here are American and I wanted to apologise. I guess the apology is the most important bit. It is after all just a point of view.

I do have to ask tho, if so many people's cats show no interest in going outside, why the need of netting or pet screens?
Haven't you heard? Here in the States song birds are known to viciously attack unsuspecting house cats lying innocently in their window perches! It is a real problem.

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I lived in the UK for over 10 years. One of my friends cat got hit by a car and died, another friends cat disappeared one day and she never found it. Enough data for me to keep my boys inside.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I lived in the UK for over 10 years. One of my friends cat got hit by a car and died, another friends cat disappeared one day and she never found it. Enough data for me to keep my boys inside.
Am sorry to hear that, it's always very sad. How many success stories do you know tho? My cat mad friend has 5 cats and all lived to a grand old age. My fella's cat lived to 16 and died naturally.  All were outdoor cats and that's just the tip of the iceberg with my own experience.

I am not saying there is not a risk, believe me, I know and I worry every day.. and will the cat to be ok.  But for some cats it's quality of life. My own cat was so very stressed and unhappy being indoors and I wish you could've seen him the moment I took him out on a lead. It was instant peace, happiness and contentment - 100% turnaround.   I am simply saying that I think we shouldn't always make all of the decisions for a cat, a cat who does have instincts.  If those instincts are so very strong and keeping a cat in is to it's detriment, then I have to question the wisdom in a cat having a long, miserable life in order to keep it safe.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's to protect the cats from high-rise syndrome:
High-Rise Syndrome: Protect Your Cat
Unscreened windows pose a real danger to cats, who fall out of them so often that the veterinary profession has a name for the complaint-High-Rise Syndrome. During the warmer months, veterinarians at the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital see approximately three to five cases a week. Falls can result in shattered jaws, punctured lungs, broken limbs and pelvises-and even death.
High-Rise Syndrome
Each year, hundreds of cats are injured or killed falling from high elevations. Despite their “righting reflex,” cats can suffer broken or crushed bones, as well as punctured lungs and other impalement injuries, when they tumble off fire escapes or through unscreened windows.

The incidence of cats falling from heights of 25 feet or more was defined as High-Rise Syndrome in 1987, by practitioners at the Animal Medical Center in New York City, who said they saw 132 cats with fall-related injuries over a five-month period. The mean age of cats affected was 2.7 years of age.
All they have to do is see a bird or insect fly by and they're out the window and crashing to the ground.