Dealing with vestibular disease - again

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got up yesterday to Zippy not being able to walk. Panicked ( a little) since I thought it may be saddle thrombosis. I took her to the vet prepared to say goodby, but upon exam vet said it was vestibular. I had totally missed the nystagmus and the titled head. I was relieved! Zippy did have a lower than normal temperature so they kept her for the day and put her on a heat source. She is home now and I have her confined for her safety. I am syringe feeding her and giving her 3 medicines twice a day. I am hoping to see improvement in a couple of days. Here is a photo of the little trouble maker😊
IMG_2680.jpeg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this again. It's so scary vestibular disease but your zippy certainly has the right person looking after her. You told me about your other experience of it when i was dealing with it with my Bandit. I didn't have a clue what to expect. Sending hugs to Zippy and you, hope she has a speedy recovery.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this again, but so glad it wasn't saddle thrombosis!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it idopathic? Indy has Idiopathic vestibular disease and actualy had her first attack in the peak of the pandemic (when everything was grey zone locked down) so didn't get diagnosed officialy until a year later.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She is home now and I have her confined for her safety. I am syringe feeding her and giving her 3 medicines twice a day. I am hoping to see improvement in a couple of days. Here is a photo of the little trouble maker
Although I'm sorry to hear Zippy isn't feeling like herself I hope you see some improvement in a few days. :crossfingers: She's absolutely gorgeous and I know you worry about her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it idopathic? Indy has Idiopathic vestibular disease and actualy had her first attack in the peak of the pandemic (when everything was grey zone locked down) so didn't get diagnosed officialy until a year later.
Without expensive X-rays and tests we couldn’t be certain if it was idiopathic. It maybe an inner ear infection. So we chose to treat her for an infection. She has vastly improved since I took her to the vet. She even managed a few very wobbly steps this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to see them going through an episode isn't it?

Indy actualy was sitting on a shelf which collapsed on top of her when she fell. Thankfuly it was one of those open back garage type shelves so she was unhurt. I moved that shelf to the workshop so it is no longer in her room.

She was walking like a drunk for a few days after the episode.

When I was finaly able to get Indy in the incedent was long over but the vet meantioned a possable pinched nerve in Indy's skull that could have been a birth defect. Couldn't confirm though because they felt testing (mri) was unnessisary at the time and I agreed.

Just make sure you keep your girl in an area where she can't bump into anything or fall while she recovers. And give her extra snuggles so she knows she is safe and loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to see them going through an episode isn't it?

Indy actualy was sitting on a shelf which collapsed on top of her when she fell. Thankfuly it was one of those open back garage type shelves so she was unhurt. I moved that shelf to the workshop so it is no longer in her room.

She was walking like a drunk for a few days after the episode.

When I was finaly able to get Indy in the incedent was long over but the vet meantioned a possable pinched nerve in Indy's skull that could have been a birth defect. Couldn't confirm though because they felt testing (mri) was unnessisary at the time and I agreed.

Just make sure you keep your girl in an area where she can't bump into anything or fall while she recovers. And give her extra snuggles so she knows she is safe and loved.
I have her in the tv room in one of my show tents. Later today after my husbands therapist leaves I am going to open the tent and sit with her to see if she wants to come out with supervision.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just want to update on Zippy. She is now coming out of her shelter for treats and to eat. She is still wobbly but can walk. To say I am thrilled at this rapid progress is an understatement!
Thank you so much for the update. You had us all worried too. I hope Zippy continues to show improvement in her progress. :heartshape: