Dealing With Matted Fur

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, people of thecatsite! It's been a while since I've posted a thread around here.

Today, I wish to address something about my fluffiest cat Raven:

IMG_1212.JPG

As you can see, she has pretty long fur. Unfortunately, she is also a very active outdoor cat, which results her fur ending up in clumps and mats.

A week or so ago, I managed to clear out some of the clumps with some scissors (I was extremely careful, and she was very happy with her new haircut). Afterwards I gave her a very thourough combing.

Now though, she does have some spots on her pelt where she has less fur. I want to ask, will the hair grow back? Also, if anyone could share a way to prevent future clumps and mats, that would be well appreciated.

And in the event that she does get more clumps, is it okay for me to cut then like I did before, or is there a safer way to get rid of them? I don't want to hurt her.

Thank you for taking to time to read/answer!

Tigerteddy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Have you tried buzzing or shaving the matted fur? It may not look pretty but it is definitely better than the clumps! A groomer may also be an option to keep the fluffy fur from matting.

The hair will grow back! When I adopted my cat, the previous owner had shaved off a large mat off his back. The fur is growing back nicely!

As for preventing future matting, I would recommend more frequent and thorough brushing. And the cutting, as long as you are careful, will be okay for your precious kitty!:)

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
JC has short hair but her undercoat is very thick and she gets matted fur often. For brushing I use a furrminator but to get the mats out I use electric clippers. They are safer and easier to use than scissors, especially since she hates being brushed. I accidentally cut her skin once with scissors and will never use them on a cat again.
The missing patches of fur will grow back. Raven is very beautiful :purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely try them. Raven will probably be happier with some shaved spots anyways, now that it's almost summer!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a rescue female a few years back, long hair much like your girl. Her mats were so bad our vet had to put her to sleep and shave her. It took a while but her hair did grow back nice.

I have a long hair male, i use a brush i found at some pet store, has long spikes on one side, and a slicker brush on the other side. I brush him just a little every day or so, then weekly a good long brush. he has never had a mat. With outside cats its harder, but still a good brush, and trim out any mats while small, as soon as you find them is usually best.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A comb is better than a brush for a longhair cat. That will get all the way through the fur instead of just smoothing over the top. You need to get one with metal teeth, not plastic. The grooming combs have teeth that are rounded on the end so they don't scratch kitty's skin.

Try combing a little each day to prevent the mats from building up. Who know, your kitty may love being combed and come to you for grooming sessions.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again! We've already begun to make improvements, we got the mats out from her "mane" area and she is enjoying the breeze on her skin.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a pretty kitty, Merlin.
Thank you! She is indeed, and I think she knows it: while the other cats run around and gallop all over the house she walks around like a model on the "cat"-walk. She's the lady of the group. :D

Here she is below with her new haircut, there's not much difference but she's much happier now! Long fur may be useful in the wintertime, but the only thing it's good for in the late spring/summer is keeping out mosquitoes.

IMG_2931.JPG