Dealing with finicky behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Mickey who is normally food obsessed and eats his bowl quickly and then tries to steal my other cat Bella’s food is acting finicky tonight and it’s not a medical issue. He ate well this morning. He had half a can of Nature’s variety minced rabbit and half a can of sardines. Tonight I fed 1/4 a 6 Oz can of the Naure’s Variety rabbit pate, Bella ate 1/4 can of this. Mickey refused it and meowed at me constantly so I threw it in the trash and gave him Fancy Feast. He refused that one too and keeps meowing at me. I hate wasting and throwing away cat food. How do you deal with this?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you know its not a medical issue?

Half a can of sardines is a lot, and over the recommended amount. It is likely the sodium levels in the sardines was too high (if you have the can still, be sure to check) and he has a belly ache as a result. Let him go without food for tonight, or offer him so boiled chicken. If he doesn't want that, let the broth from the boiled chicken cool and then leave that out for him over night to hopefully hydrate him. If he isn't interested in food by the morning, I would definitely suggest a vet visit.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the mean mom that says "Eat or starve. Your choice." :bat: Lucky for me, I found a brand of food that they love and has tons of variety. I feed a new flavor each meal and haven't had any issues in a long time. I buy 14 flavors at one time and it lasts me 6-8 weeks depending on the size of the can/pouch. Two meals a day. Go through all the flavors Mon-Sun and start over the following Monday.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did that with Fancy Feast because I had thrown away the better quality Nature’s Variety. He later ate some Fancy Feast after I let it sit out for a while. I understand cats should never go more than 24 to 48 hours without food due to the risk of fatty liver disease but they can skip one meal. My cats get a ton of variety, some canned and some fresh food that’s in the freezer that I have to take the bus to La Jolla in San Diego to buy. But I can’t feed it every meal. It’s expensive and requires a bus trip. But Mickey really likes it and I didn’t defrost any from the freezer. So yeah, he became a food snob last night.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you know its not a medical issue?

Half a can of sardines is a lot, and over the recommended amount. It is likely the sodium levels in the sardines was too high (if you have the can still, be sure to check) and he has a belly ache as a result. Let him go without food for tonight, or offer him so boiled chicken. If he doesn't want that, let the broth from the boiled chicken cool and then leave that out for him over night to hopefully hydrate him. If he isn't interested in food by the morning, I would definitely suggest a vet visit.
The sardines are the kind in water without additional salt added.. I don’t feed it often. I wanted him to have some omega 3s. He was running around like a speed rocket last night…not the actions of a sick cat.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am the mean mom that says "Eat or starve. Your choice." :bat: Lucky for me, I found a brand of food that they love and has tons of variety. I feed a new flavor each meal and haven't had any issues in a long time. I buy 14 flavors at one time and it lasts me 6-8 weeks depending on the size of the can/pouch. Two meals a day. Go through all the flavors Mon-Sun and start over the following Monday.
What brand of food?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried that brand and it looked pretty good….nice “real” food but unfortunately my cats won’t eat it……guess they are too use to Friskies which I’d like to find a better brand but haven’t found any they like. 😪

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried that brand and it looked pretty good….nice “real” food but unfortunately my cats won’t eat it……guess they are too use to Friskies which I’d like to find a better brand but haven’t found any they like. 😪
I happen to stumble upon it and they loved it so much, it's all I feed now.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well…when I awoke up this morning the Fancy Feast was gone. I don’t know who ate it…Mickey or Bella. Mickey was pleased to get his favorite for breakfast which is the My Perfect Pet gently cooked cat food. I buy those in La Jolla from a store called Bella Woof. This food must be kept in the freezer and the patties are thawed out. I buy both the turkey and the beef, those are the proteins they make for cats. I make bus trips to La Jolla once per month for those. Both Bella and Mickey like those and Mickey likes the Small Batches raw food.