Dealing With End-stage Chf

heyitsfae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I want to you thank you in advance if you read this long ramble. The short version of this is that my beloved boy, Winston is in end-stage Congestive Heart Failure and I need tips on how to cope. Here is the longer/more detailed version:

I adopted Winston six years ago from a local shelter. I was hold he was three years old. At the time, he weighed a smidge over 30 lbs (I know, BIG BOY). The six years that I have had him have been full of medical emergencies; countless upper respiratory infections, an eye infection, pancreatitis, FVR, and of course the endless battle with his weight (I eventually got him down to 18 lbs but it was an uphill battle).

Last year, I moved in with my fiance which was about a two hour drive from our tried and true vet. I found a fabulous new clinic that saw only cats and we immediately loved them. It was Winnie's first appointment with them and we were blindsided; they found a "galloping rhythm" in his heart. His blood work also revealed that he had hyperthyroidism.

After a number of other tests and a visit to a cardiologist we learned that our boy's heart was simply not functioning as it should. The working theory is that his hyperthyroidism put a strain on his heart and ultimately lead to it weakening.

As I mentioned, we were shocked. He had just had a check up one year ago and everything was fine! The other shock was that we thought he was now 8 years old but we were informed by our new vet that he was likely much much older; closer to 12 or 13.

But, not all hope was lost. His condition was classified as 'moderate" and with medication, we were able to buy some time. He's been on Methimazole, Enalapril and Clopidogrel ever since with check-ins/bloodwork every six months.

Last week, we noticed he wasn't eating as much and then I thought that his tummy felt a little weird, like an over-inflated balloon. We rushed him in to the vet and received the devastating news that his stomach was full of fluid, 1600mL of fluid to be exact. They drained it out but we were told that this is not a good sign. Our vet told us that this is end-stage congestive heart failure and that draining the fluid will only make him comfortable for a period of time. His heart is failing and we don't have long with him. Our vet put him on Lasix to help manage the fluid retention.

He's home with us now, eating whatever he wants, drinking plenty of water and getting so many snuggles. He's still not eating normally though and I'm driving myself crazy watching him for any tiny little change in behavior. Our vet has told us there is nothing more we can do beyond keeping him comfortable.

So, now I'm here... for many reasons. 1/ I would love to hear from others who have had babies with CHF. Is there anything else that I can be doing for him by way of palliative care? Are there things I should be watching out for? Does this truly sound like the end or should I get a second opinion (we will seriously keep throwing money at this if there is even a glimmer of hope)? 2/ While I grew up with cats, they were always my parent's responsibility. When their time here was done, my parents made that call. Now, at 30, I have my own fur baby and I need to step up and make this decision when the time comes and I simply don't know if I can do it or even how I'll know when it's actually time.

My fiance and I have never gone through anything like this before and I'm second-guessing every choice we make. Our top priority is keeping Winston comfortable and while I would fight tooth and nail to keep him here with us, I'm also trying to be mindful of the fact that the measure of his life should be quality, not quantity. We're struggling and I want to do everything that I can for him. Any advice is very welcome.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't have any words of wisdom for you in this situation, but I'm so sorry you're going through this with your Winston. Having lost a kitty to chronic kidney disease, the best thing I can tell you is to not second guess yourself. Playing the "woulda coulda shoulda" game will steal the joy in the last of the days, weeks, or months you have with him. Pay attention to his body. He will let you know when it's time. I hope you have several more good days with your baby.

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sending much love. I’m going through this with my boy Milo right now, just a few months after putting his brother down for the same. It’s not easy. Just keep watching Winston for behavioral cues; note when he stops eating, stops seeking your attention, etc. Medications can be adjusted to compensate for worsening heart failure, so if Winston has a bad day, talk to your vet to see if anything can be adjusted before giving up hope. Some of Milo’s medications have been adjusted every couple of weeks which has helped retain his quality of life. I agree with the above though: second guessing yourself will steal away what time you have left. Just give him lots of love and pay attention to his quality of life, and know that you are doing the best you can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry about Winnie's heart condition. I have no experience with this, but wanted to share an article about signs to look for that you could tell the vet about and get applicable adjustments to his meds to help out - just as Weasel21 Weasel21 has said about Milo. I hope they help you - and Winnie - some.
https://cats.lovetoknow.com/Symptoms_of_Feline_Heart_Failure

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going thru this. I've been where you are. It's not easy to have to make "the" decision, but it is the most compassionate and caring thing you can do. I had to do it 3 times in 2 months for all of mine. They all passed from different things, one from CHF.
For us, palliative care was loving him, providing warm cozy sleeping areas and giving him WHATEVER he wanted to eat (if he ate). Of course that's on top of the 7 different medications, up to 3 times a day, and having his chest drained a couple of times. He unfortunately threw a clot, and so with him, the decision was made for us.

Like you, I second guessed EVERYTHING. The palliative care for 2 cats and caring for one sick cat (we thought he would make it), all at the same time, was all consuming. But honestly, I know, deep down, that I did absolutely everything I could have done for my babies. And if you really sit and take a moment, you know you are doing your very best as well. You love him, and always will, and he knows this too. I'm sure you'll know when the time is right. And to elaborate on that - I was always told by people, "oh, you'll know...." and I thought that was the most ridiculous advice to give to someone who has a hard time even deciding what to have for dinner. (Seriously, I've experienced regret choosing dinner after the meat was already half thawed, lol!) But, in all honesty, you really will see it in him when the time has come. And if you make that decision, and you feel that regret and guilt that will sneak into your mind, just remember that it's always better to do it a day too soon than a day too late.

I wish you and your fiancee the very best and peace of mind thru all this.
:alright::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heyitsfae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. This isn't a happy update. We made the decision this morning and our boy is no longer with us.

I'm so torn between wishing we had more time with him and being incredibly thankful that his decline was quick and not drawn out (that's a horrible way to think, isn't it?). Ultimately, the fluid returned very quickly (a matter of days) and his appetite never returned. Over the weekend he was struggling to walk, vomiting and frequently not making it to his litter box. Winston had two great loves in this world; food and Alonzo (my fiancee). So when he stopped eating altogether and actively avoided human interaction, we knew it was time.

You were all so right that we knew when it was time. He told us. We're devastated but ultimately at peace with the decision. He was our best friend and he was suffering immensely.

Thank you all again for the emotional support... I needed/need it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad that you are at peace with your decision. It's not an easy thing to do (to say the least) but Winston surly loved and appreciated his life with you, right up until his final moments, and beyond. He will always have a special place in your heart and will never truly be gone.
I hope everyday gets a little better, and your feelings of sadness are replaced with happy memories of all the wonderful moments you had with him.
Wishing you all the best.

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was not an easy decision to make, but it's the last act of kindness you could offer Winston. :hearthrob: