Dealing with Cystitis

RosemaryK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 18 month old Thor started peeing outside the box (waaay outside, as in my living room) last week. We got him to the vet of course, rule out the physical before we tackle the behaviour, and sure enough he has cystitis. Poor guy has been in real pain and discomfort. Not eating or drinking, and generally miserable. However, now he is in the mend. He has a lovely new box close by and he has been using it.

So here’s my issue. He has two kitty sisters, Mouse is just a few months older and Cleo is 15 and quite frail. They have always been good eaters. Demanding eaters. We’ve introduced new, vet recommended food, both moist and dry, for Thor. Now NONE of them are eating more than a few bites. The old one loves the dry food but no one is touching the moist.

Feeding patterns and places have not changed. Five litter boxes on multiple levels. Indoor cats only.

Any thoughts or experiences that would help get them interested again?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious, what foods did the vet recommend? Those specifically formulated for cats with urinary tract problems?

There are times when prescription foods really are the best option for a kitty's health issues. In our case, it just didn't work out for us, and we had better luck after I accidentally stumbled across catinfo.org (especially this article: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection), and got Buddy started on a wet food only, no fish, low carb diet.

We just used the Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus Chart on Dr. Pierson's site to help us find low carb options that you can buy pretty much anywhere, and checked the ingredients to make sure they didn't contain fish (which was a contributing factor to Buddy's urinary tract problems).

If your vet feels that's an option for Thor, then maybe it would be easier to find foods for all of your kitties that will tickle their fancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RosemaryK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet put him on Royal Canin’s SO, both dry and wet. We put out portions that have either just the SO, just their old fave Wellness brand, and a mix. Same with the dry. The sick cat has tentatively nibbled but eaten not more than a tablespoon. The girls won’t touch any of the moist food. Old girl is enjoying the dry. I don’t put a huge store in Cleo’s choices- she comes running if someone opens a bag of Cheesies! We watchher because she’ll eat anything.
Thank you. I shall explore some of those options.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had more luck with the Hill's prescription food for kidney issues ( I know that you are concerned with cystitis) but the food itself was much more appealing than the Royal Canin. Having said that, it amounted to the fact that Jamie refused the RC and ate one can of the Hill's before he decided it was all trash. I am still doing research and you might have to sit with those charts that cheeser cheeser posted and try to make some decisions about what they would eat.

For the record, I have never had any animal eat any of the major prescription foods.:(

RosemaryK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had more luck with the Hill's prescription food for kidney issues ( I know that you are concerned with cystitis) but the food itself was much more appealing than the Royal Canin. Having said that, it amounted to the fact that Jamie refused the RC and ate one can of the Hill's before he decided it was all trash. I am still doing research and you might have to sit with those charts that cheeser cheeser posted and try to make some decisions about what they would eat.

For the record, I have never had any animal eat any of the major prescription foods.:(
Me too. All the cats are on a hunger strike. At this point, I’m only concerned about the sick one. He’s using the litter box again, thank goodness. Nibbling and drinking which is a relief.
The info in those websites was fascinating and, I think, usable.

RosemaryK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious, what foods did the vet recommend? Those specifically formulated for cats with urinary tract problems?

There are times when prescription foods really are the best option for a kitty's health issues. In our case, it just didn't work out for us, and we had better luck after I accidentally stumbled across catinfo.org (especially this article: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection), and got Buddy started on a wet food only, no fish, low carb diet.

We just used the Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus Chart on Dr. Pierson's site to help us find low carb options that you can buy pretty much anywhere, and checked the ingredients to make sure they didn't contain fish (which was a contributing factor to Buddy's urinary tract problems).

If your vet feels that's an option for Thor, then maybe it would be easier to find foods for all of your kitties that will tickle their fancy.
Thank you. That was very interesting reading, lots of good ideas. Thor is only 18 months so we are in for the long haul, so to speak. He’s an incredible personality so we are doing all we can.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has urinary issues and he's a fussy eater but he loves Royal Canin Urinary SO wet morsals in gravy. It is different to the urinary so.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My senior cat who is in the very early stages of CKD will only eat the Royal Canin food in the wet morsels. Getting cats to switch to wet food can be difficult but it would be best for Thor and the others would benefit from an all wet diet. Are you free feeding the dry? Going to timed meals would be the first step. Toppers with crushed kibble over the wet food helps. Start out with mostly topper and gradually change the ratio.

RosemaryK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We feed the moist at set times. I understand why he is off food but the others are just being contrary. He does not care for dry so we are fine cutting it out but getting them all to eat is the issue. The recommended websites have been really helpful. I have info to take to the store with me.

Good news is Thor does seem to be feeling better tonight. Back to some of his playful ways.
Thanks to you all for the helpful suggestions.