Dealing with blocked tear duct

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't doubt that with the flat face.  Probably has sinus troubles, too.  Jethro's eyes are doing good right now.  We may have problems in the spring with the pollen.

ritadee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Deacon got out of the yard (we were in the process of catifying the yard and he found a weak spot) he managed to get himself sprayed by a skunk in one eye.  Since then I have used antibiotics, he's been tested for eye ulcers as is common with skunk sprays and nothing. Tried an antibiotic with a steroid that helped temporarily. I just took him again cause the eye goop was daily, and I couldn't imagine it felt good for him.  We did the dry eye test and one eye had no moisture as compared to the other. Now he is on two types of drops 2 x per day at least for two months and then the Vet said we will reassess.  He didn't recommend surgery even if the duct is blocked and said drops would be a better alternative.  It's been 5 days and his eye is not as red as it was so hoping this does make a difference for him.

christiev

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful white cat girl with a clogged tear duct. Could you please share how to massage the eye area? Many thanks!!!

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never did massage Jethro's eye area. He still has a blocked eye duct and probably always will. I keep medication on hand from the vet and if the eye ooze ever gets cloudy or yellow looking, I put it in his eye. Then it clears back up. Running clear doesn't worry me. I just tissue off his eye when I see it running and he is so used to that he doesn't mind at all when Mama comes with a tissue. I have stopped worrying about it because I know it is so common and I have talked about it at length with his vet.
Good luck with your Deacon!