Dealing With A Blind And Deaf Cat

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to go with hit by a car. Later when he asks what happened because he can't remember due to the shock, you'll tell him hit by a car.

Shock is an amazing wonderful thing. It can make it where at first you feel no pain. I broke my wrist and when I looked at it, it looked fine, just like always. Couldn't figure out why Sis freaked out. It didn't hurt that bad. Turned out, what I wasn't seeing was that it had instantly swollen to three times it's normal size.

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to give a little update on the interaction with the cat.

Things are going, slow but going. I think he starts to associate the taps with food, because each time I tap twice he starts sniffing around and I think he is looking for food.

He is doing well, eats a lot everyday and also sleeps a lot. Most of the time he is sleeping to be honest. My cats sleep a lot but this one sleeps even more, probably because he is still recovering.

Ocasionally he sniffs my hand and bumps his nose but goes back. However he doesnt hiss or gets angry or anything.

I got him a scratcher but I think he doesnt pay any attention to it so far.

Most days before and after dinner if he is awake I just go to the bathroom and sit on the floor close to him, browsing my phone or something. I hope he feels my scent and associates it with being safe.

So... things are evolving, a little bit slow but they are going. He has been through a lot so I have to be patient with him.

:)
Thanks for the update. I think you're doing great and over time you and the kitty will build up a bond. It's so nice that you just sit with him when you can. It sounds like you're doing all the right things to make him feel safe and comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well.... things are not going anywhere so far. Everything is as it was a week ago. At this point I think I am just feeding him and cleaning his litter box and that's it.

I got one of those toys with feathers and strings to try and interact with him, usually he gets really agressive with the toy and at the end of 5 or 10 minutes I stop. He usually hisses and grabs it with his claws and just bites the hell out of it.
Should I keep trying?

Today I accidentally touched him while setting his food bowl, my arm just touched his ear and his immediate reaction was to turn around and hiss.

I try to give him treats that my cats go crazy with and he just sniffs them and doesn't even try to eat them.

It's three weeks tomorrow ever since I got him and I feel like he doesn't even know me at all. It seems like I got him yesterday.

My cats are really curious, ocasionally they try to enter the room to see what's going on. I have considered letting one of them in, however everything tells me I shouldn't. He doesn't seem to tolerate touch so far. If he hisses at one of my cats I'm afraid the process of getting them together may take longer after that.

Anyway... just venting a bit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Hang in there!! I think if your instincts are telling you not to let your other cats in yet, that is wise to follow.

What if you got a calming spray and sprayed your clothing prior to sitting with him?

I get the sense he is smelling your other kitties and thinks they are in the room with him. I don't recall, are you trying a calming diffuser in his room?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so lovely that you decided to take in this kitty. It will of course be difficult to integrate him into your house and even to introduce yourself as a friend, as you are discovering. The knocking is a good way to communicate and building up this vibration pattern to get him to recognize food is a great step.

I think for toys, maybe something that rolls or grinds across the floor might be a good choice, balls, or dragging wand toys in a repetitive manner to play is a good idea because you can repeat this action each time.

For this cat, learning what to expect is pretty paramount because he can't see or hear things. The only senses he has are smell touch and taste.

Before you go much further in your attempts to pet him, you might try some different smelling treats, try baby meat pastes or pate. If there's something he really clearly favours then you can use this as a treat to reward him when he does rub against you or bump your hand. Because of his teeth, I suggest the paste option wherever possible because it's not something that he has to chew and you can also spread it on your fingers if you wanted to offer your hand. -- EDIT ON THE BACK OF YOUR HAND NOT ON YOUR FINGERS, it's something we want him to lick not bite your fingers!!

I know he's deaf, but if he does settle near you, try talking softly or humming as your own chest and neck will vibrate and if he's near enough he can feel that, he may find this calming. It's also a constant advert "I'm here".

As for introducing him to the others, he knows they are there already from their scent. You might want to try the scent swapping when he is more comfortable. This cat is likely to be your least confident so even if the others want in, let him lead any intros. Until then I wonder if you might set up a camera in his room to see how he is acting when the "big bean" isn't there. It might be that he is inquisitive and curious but as soon as he feels the big footsteps approaching he feels less confident and hides a bit. Whilst he is recovering the breaks in his bones he will sleep more, and feel less like playing so the fact that he's been showing any interest in toys at all is a good sign.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember when you touch him he doesn't know the touch is from the food and safety supplier yet.

This is has been a very short time, very short. You're doing really well. He eats, he isn't trying to escape or screaming. He sleeps. WHEN YOU TOUCHED HIM, HE HISSED AT YOU! HE DIDN'T ATTACK YOU. This is a cat making amazing strides at getting secure. One of my bottle babies, a premi, was left nearsighted by his birth. If you touched him when he was asleep or he wasn't expecting it, he didn't hiss at you. Claws out he smacked the ever lovin' out of you.

He plays with you. He likes you. That gnawing on the feathers is the way mine play with the thing.

IF you feel you're failing buy some ear plugs, then cover them with further sound deadening muffs. Then shut your eyes. Sit there for as long as you can bare it. The not knowing what's going on around you is what is hard. That makes him hiss when touched.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound like he is doing better. He's attacking the toy and not you. Just letting you know you surprised him. "Killing" the toy is probably good for him. It's something he has control over when he's attacking it. It also give him a chance to release some energy.

kissthisangel kissthisangel idea of setting up a camera is a great idea. It would also give you a better idea of any physical improvements or limits. Record him a few times a week so you can compare them.

If you haven't already, give him a piece clothing with your scent. I also wonder if a toy like this would comfort him after his initial fear passes.

To get accustom to your cats scents also rub them with a cloth and put it in his room but not in his bed. He can go to it if he chooses.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice to give, but I just wanted to post to say you are an amazing person for taking in this sweet kitty!

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...I know i have been missing a lot of updates about the state of my little cat.

A few things have changed in the meantime.

He is no longer confined to the bathroom he was in. I took him out a couple of weeks ago. When I am home he is free to roam around in all of the house. But when I am not his space is now the living room.

I took him to the vet recently and he has a few issues that I am going to solve in its own time. The main concern the vet has are his teeth. According to the vet he must be around 8 or 9 years old. His back teeth are worn out and a young cat wouldnt be like that. He has some tartar(dont know if this is the word) in his teeth and also some gum problems. This is the most concerning problem. However given the fact that he is blind and deaf this has to be done with some caution because on every vet trip he gets really stressed out.
But I am planning maybe next month fix the mouth issues.

About the eyes, there is nothing to be done, he is blind from the eye that he still has and there is nothing we can do about it.

I recently bought Feliway classic ever since he is in the living room and plugged it there and the changes are amazing. He now allows pets, he also still bites but he is much more open to beeing pet, he plays a lot more. when i am petting him sometimes he starts lowering his head towards the ground until he lays down and starts kicking my hand with his back feet (Hurts like hell to be truth but I know he is playing :D)

Anyway things are much better. The other cats dont really go to him. Although one of them hisses if he gets too close but we are working on it :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, good for the both of you!
Would there be a calming treat that might help for the vet trips, or a spray you could use on the carrier, your clothing, the car seat...

Thanks so much for the update!

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, good for the both of you!
Would there be a calming treat that might help for the vet trips, or a spray you could use on the carrier, your clothing, the car seat...

Thanks so much for the update!
I dont know, he doesnt eat much treats. The only thing he eats is food. I tried but he doesnt seem to care. Or I havent found the ones he likes, but the other two go crazy about those treats.

He gets stressed when he is closed in his carrier, after 5 or 10 minutes he starts putting his paws out and tries to open it.

But once he is out he is ok and starts exploring.

Thank you for your help :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A calming spray might help - a few minutes before putting him in so it's dry, spray the outside of the carrier. Maybe even the inside, I'm not sure about that, and also spray the vehicle seat that the carrier will be sitting on, if you can :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update and videos. I'm so glad to hear he is improving and trying to play with you. Maybe he'd like a Kickeroo or a stuffed sock to wrestle with.

Can he feel the vibration of the hiss and react to it? Hissing is at least an acknowledgment of his existence. :)

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A calming spray might help - a few minutes before putting him in so it's dry, spray the outside of the carrier. Maybe even the inside, I'm not sure about that, and also spray the vehicle seat that the carrier will be sitting on, if you can :)
I will consider it. I know feliway has a spray version, maybe that can help somehow. Although in the vet while he was sleeping they put the collar version of the feliway so that is always with him.

Thank you for the update and videos. I'm so glad to hear he is improving and trying to play with you. Maybe he'd like a Kickeroo or a stuffed sock to wrestle with.

Can he feel the vibration of the hiss and react to it? Hissing is at least an acknowledgment of his existence. :)
Well he has at least 4 toys, two balls and two stuffed mice. The thing is he starts playing with them and then he loses them and can't find them back. Breaks my heart to see him looking around, but it is what it is. When I am home i try to get him his toys so that he plays but then again. He is probably older then i though, around 8 or 9 years old, I don't know if he is really in the mood to play.

About the hiss, my cat hisses at him when he starts walking in his direction but he really can't see or hear so he doesn't know my cat is hissing. I think my cat gets frustrated because he hisses and he keeps moving towards him :D
Anyway one day they got really close and my cat hissed and he hissed back, sooo probably yeah he can feel it.

But my cat is not aggressive, because he hisses and runs, but I dont feel confortable leaving them alone yet.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thing is he starts playing with them and then he loses them and can't find them back.
You have a smart boy. Choose a spot to keep his toys. Don't bring the toy to him but shake a noisy one to get him to go to the spot. When he looses the toy put it back in his toy spot and shake the toy again. I bet he'll learn quickly to look in that spot for a toy. I suggested a Kickeroo/stuffed sock because it would be almost as big as him. He could get a nice wrestling session with out drawing blood. Being bigger it's also easier to find.

Anyway one day they got really close and my cat hissed and he hissed back, sooo probably yeah he can feel it.
This is wonderful. Hissing is often the first step in communication. If your cat is brave enough to let him get that close again let them talk some. Maybe they will get along someday. Keep a towel or blanket nearby in case they try to fight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you obtain some catnip and roll or spray the toys with that, then he might be better able to locate them by smeill?

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have a smart boy. Choose a spot to keep his toys. Don't bring the toy to him but shake a noisy one to get him to go to the spot. When he looses the toy put it back in his toy spot and shake the toy again. I bet he'll learn quickly to look in that spot for a toy. I suggested a Kickeroo/stuffed sock because it would be almost as big as him. He could get a nice wrestling session with out drawing blood. Being bigger it's also easier to find.

This is wonderful. Hissing is often the first step in communication. If your cat is brave enough to let him get that close again let them talk some. Maybe they will get along someday. Keep a towel or blanket nearby in case they try to fight.
He can't hear so noisy toys are no good. But maybe I can get a larger toy for him.

Can you obtain some catnip and roll or spray the toys with that, then he might be better able to locate them by smeill?
Thats actually a good idea, I have catnip already on the house. I will try it

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you'll see this or if you've been on the site lately, but I thought of you and your kitty the other day... How are things going?

JorgeChibante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if you'll see this or if you've been on the site lately, but I thought of you and your kitty the other day... How are things going?
Hey things are going great. He is doing ok, he lets me pick him up and pet him pretty much whenever I want.
The other two cats don't get along with him, but I can't do anything about it. They wont get anywhere near him and just stare from far away. They also don't get aggressive towards him or anything, they just get suspicious.
It's been almost 8 months since he came and the changes are amazing.

Sometimes I stand on the couch and i pick him up and he lays next to me and he just purrs pretty much the whole time

He is a sweet cat, who just happened to have an unfortunate accident. But he is doing great considering he doesn't hear or see anything.

Thank you for your concern, I'll try to keep this updated

And a couple of pictures of me and him

Attachments