Deaf Kitten Navi

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My little Navi is deaf since the birth, white with blue eyes. When she was a baby she would let us pick her up and snuggle and cuddle but when she turned 2 maybe 3 months she does not like to be held at all. I will pet her and move my hands around her to let her know I am about to pick her up so it's not a surprise.  When she sees me or my husband walk in the door she is purring and weaving between our legs then flopping on the floor rolling around; or waking me up at 5am purring like an 18 wheeler nuzzling my face demanding to be pet. I try to tap the ground or wave to get her attention before touching her so I don't always startle her. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I know some cats don't like to be held and maybe that's what it is but I wanted to get this question out there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated 

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a non-deaf kitten about the same age, and despite being handled since birth, he does not want to be touched at all.. no petting, no cuddling, no holding.  He is very independent... he runs till he cant run no more and then will creep up and try to sleep by you, then when he has recharged, he is off again.  I can hear his little toddler voice screaching PUT ME DOWN... he wriggles like a little worm right out of your hands.   Hope he out grows it soon... at least one of our cats needs to be a cuddler.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Some cats definitely prefer not to be picked up. I had such a cat and as soon as he would be picked up, he would try to wriggle his way out of it. That's when he was relaxed, otherwise he would claw his way out of it right away 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I'm used to cats that love being held and petted that I didn't think of that. She is very peculiar with how and when she wants affection but then again if she wasn't then she wouldn't be my little Navi [emoji]128512[/emoji]

spindnb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little man is super affectionate, but around the same age stopped "allowing" anyone to hold him but me. Even I can't hold him long. He'll fight to get away, then run right back to rub against your legs. He's trained me now, and I just don't pick him up very often.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With our baby, I try to pick him up frequently, but I only hold him for a couple moments and then put him down again right away so he knows I am not taking his freedom or anything, I just want a little love.  He is up to about 5 minutes of calm holding now where he isn't struggling to get away.