Dead Kitten Stuck

Moonchild777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat conceived exactly 70 days ago, is that too long for her to be pregnant? This is her first litter but I don't know if that would affect the length of her pregnancy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat conceived exactly 70 days ago, is that too long for her to be pregnant? This is her first litter but I don't know if that would affect the length of her pregnancy.
You are SURE on the days? Its not unusual the first mating didnt took, but there was an occasion for a second one.

70 days is over the average, but not extremely so.
Anyway, while kittens unlike human babies, manage badly a too quick delivery,
cats manage a too long pregnancy better than humans.
Also, a Cesarean saves momma for sure, but is often hard on the kittens.

So, unless there is a dire necessity alike obvious problems, we (and most vets) do recommend to try and wait on the natural delivery.

What is actually happening? Is your queen feeling well? Kittens moving? any visible problems? Has she dropped, ie suddenly seems less pregnant?

Ps. During the time you do wait, give her calcium rich food. Whatever you have at home and she takes. Because low calcium level may cause weak labor.

Ps2. Do you have access to a vet knowleable in cat obstetrics? And or, experienced in Cesarean?

If you have an experienced obstetrician, it may be good to contact and ask. Esp if there are any problems.
A so so obstetrician but good surgeon will be happy to make a cesarean as his first solution...

Good luck, and welcome back with questions and reports!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonchild777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an indoor cat, that's the only reason I know the exact date of conception. I actually brought the male inside because I thought it was unfair to have her fixed without letting her experience motherhood once.(Dumb, I know)
She seems to be acting normal, but she's been having a bloody discharge for about 5 days. I could tell she was having contractions for the first 2 or 3 days but I think they've stopped. She's eating and drinking normally and she doesn't seem to be in any pain so I'm not sure what to think.

Moonchild777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an indoor cat, that's the only reason I know the exact date of conception. I actually brought the male inside because I thought it was unfair to have her fixed without letting her experience motherhood once.(Dumb, I know)
She seems to be acting normal, but she's been having a bloody discharge for about 5 days. I could tell she was having contractions for the first 2 or 3 days but I think they've stopped. She's eating and drinking normally and she doesn't seem to be in any pain so I'm not sure what to think.
Also, I've never felt the kittens move.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, I've never felt the kittens move.
Yes, I agree with SArthur. Your later messages hints, from a fairly normal situation, although long pregnancy, you may suddenly got a crash vet case...

contact your vet asap. If you have several to choose amongst, take the best obstetrician in first hand, a skilled vet surgeon in second hand.

Any decent vet in third hand.

Moonchild777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay my cat is in labor right now has been in very strong labor for about a day and a half started labor almost a week ago but kind of stopped anyway the first baby that she's trying to deliver is dead and I don't know what to do she can't seem to push it out. Please help me tell me what to do

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll admit I don’t know much about pregnant cats and labour but this honestly sounds like a really bad situation with a labour that has gone on far too long. You need to get her to a vet right away, your mama cat could easily die as well if she doesn’t get those babies out soon.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll admit I don’t know much about pregnant cats and labour but this honestly sounds like a really bad situation with a labour that has gone on far too long. You need to get her to a vet right away, your mama cat could easily die as well if she doesn’t get those babies out soon.
Saw in another thread the poster made about this very situation, saying in response to someone urging her to take them to the vet, that they can't afford a vet.

Unfortunately in this case, you're likely going to have to worry about the vet bill later or you'll risk the mothers life.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay my cat is in labor right now has been in very strong labor for about a day and a half started labor almost a week ago but kind of stopped anyway the first baby that she's trying to deliver is dead and I don't know what to do she can't seem to push it out. Please help me tell me what to do
Get her to a vet straight away

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The head is out but she can't push the rest of it's body out
Sorry, its crash vet... Anything else will prob lead to a slow and painful death for her.

I suppose if she still takes fluids, you COULD try with something calcium rich, with a little sugar in... And or a trifle of white caro sugar in her gum... Sugar gives some quick energhy.
So she gets new strengh to continue and push...

And when she is pushing, you could try to grab the kitten in something and draw along with the pushes.
We HAD formuites whom managed this way. And kitten sometimes survived too.

If if the kitten is stopped for real, its a vet necessary.

If you cant afford a vet, nor manage to help her yourself;,
I hope you have a hunter as neighbour... A bad solution is sometimes better than none solution.

Last edited:

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, this is urgent and bad situation. I believe it the kitten’s head and shoulders are out you can help to gently get it out -there’s a couple of videos on YouTube vet giving a demo how to do it. BUT - she’s likely to have other dead kittens in her, you need to get her to vet ASAP. It does cost money - use credit card and you shall be able to pay instalments etc.

To be honest, I think all pets owners shall ensure they’re willing to cover the costs of their beloved pets when in illness. Pregnancy is very high risk, few insurance companies would cover it. I was selfish enough to let my baby girl taking the risk, so it’s only fair to commit to do whatever possible for her health. I hope you’d do what’s necessary for your girl.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg, this is urgent and bad situation. I believe it the kitten’s head and shoulders are out you can help to gently get it out -there’s a couple of videos on YouTube vet giving a demo how to do it. BUT - she’s likely to have other dead kittens in her, you need to get her to vet ASAP. It does cost money - use credit card and you shall be able to pay instalments etc.

To be honest, I think all pets owners shall ensure they’re willing to cover the costs of their beloved pets when in illness. Pregnancy is very high risk, few insurance companies would cover it. I was selfish enough to let my baby girl taking the risk, so it’s only fair to commit to do whatever possible for her health. I hope you’d do what’s necessary for your girl.
I wouldn't rely just on youtube videos for something life threatening

vet is essential, even if the OP does get the kitten out by themself

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree and I too suggested this. the problem is, to be fairly sure to manage, you must do it together simultaneously with mommas pushing. Ie, she must push again...

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't rely just on youtube videos for something life threatening

vet is essential, even if the OP does get the kitten out by themself
Yes I said so too - even if this one’s out, more are probably in her and vet’s needed asap.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have things you can pawn in your house, you'll need to pawn them. Anything that you can pawn you should pawn.