Day Old Chicks

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a supplier of live day old chicks. looking for wholesale at good prices.

I am in Toronto, Ontario so i would like a supplier close to or in Ontario so the shipping isnt stressful on the chicks and its cheaper to ship short distances, please share some links so i can find a supplier.

Also looking for cheap supplier of frozen rabbits, guinea pigs, and rats, it would be good if there was a supplier of everything.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure you're going to find a supplier that ships live and frozen.  From what I understand, most feeder suppliers ship frozen.

I'm not even sure live day old chicks would survive any kind of shipping.  If you are looking for live, you might have to go directly to a hatchery or breed your own. 

I'm honestly not sure what benefit you are hoping to get from feeding live day old chicks.  It seems unnecessarily cruel to me. 

If you are trying to stimulate your cat's play/hunt behavior, you might try crickets in a bathtub.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to raise them and then butcher them for raw food, I'd never feed a cat live it's cruel and unnecessary.

Live chicks can be shipped as long as they get there 2-3 days after birth as they don't eat for this time, they absorb nutrients from yolk before birth and that is how they survive the first couple days

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhh... thank you for clarifying. 

I helped out with a chicken butcher about a year ago.  It was very educational; there was definitely more to it than I would have thought.  There were about 50 or so yearling chickens which took about 2 days with a team of 6 people.  The setup was impressive and actually very humane, but it was a lot of work

My aunt has a small flock of chickens, but they are primarily layers for eggs.  We tease her about her "lunch" chickens, but she is very attached to them and I don't think she could go the butcher route.

Still, I don't know where you would get live chicks and frozen feeders from the same source.  I think your best bet for starter chicks would be a hatchery near you.

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a good source for chickens that grow fast and are not expensive to raise, great for a perspective raw feeder

Cheap is good :p

krazee train

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find the DOCS? I'm also in Toronto & looking for a place that's local to feed my cats

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever find the DOCS? I'm also in Toronto & looking for a place that's local to feed my cats
I'm looking at putting in an order for some chicks, I have to setup a brooder box (box with a heatlamp) if anyone's interested once I put the order in I can add your stuff to it.