Day 58

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My lovely girl is pregnant, I’m thinking around day 58 today seeing as I caught her and my boy (he was castrated a month ago!) going at it on the dining table on the 9th March 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve raised kittens before both from birth, and also from 3ish weeks old when I took in feral-borns (how I ended up with my boy) so not worried about that aspect of it.

She’s got an appointment on the 18th with the vet as a post-birth check up as I assumed they would have arrived by then.

Today though I’ve noticed this… there’s not loads of it, it’s not dripping, she’s not overly hot, she’s not distressed, lots more affectionate and only eating little and often (but I’ve been as pregnant as a whale before, I know how she feels, I couldn’t handle big meals either!) so what do you think? I tried to Google for photos but it seems no one knows how to hold a camera steady so it’s a blurry mess and I can’t tell anything from it 😂

Like I say, I’m assuming day 58 today but is it possible they did the deed a couple of days before I caught them too, could she be a couple of days more than I think and things are starting?
Thanks ☺

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pre-labor discharge can start up to a week before delivery, so things sound normal. It’s possible that she is a couple days further along, but either way, it sounds like she may have a few more days left, and the kittens need at least until day 63 so as not to be premature.

It does sound like her hormones are gearing up for labor and delivery soon though, especially with all her affectionate behavior.

Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I’m hoping for day 65 so I’m guaranteed to be home, although my son will be all the time anyway so he’s on “kitten watch” and I’m generally only 20-30 mins away so can run home if needed.

I had a dream last night just before I woke up, that she had had them and they were already like 3-4 week olds with their eyes open and running up and down the stairs and I woke up scared, I need a little time with them not moving much before the chaos starts 😂

Seeing her this morning, ready and waiting (demanding) breakfast, she had a little bit of what I assume must be her mucus plug? It looks familiar 🤣

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like it could be her mucus plug. This is sometimes lost a few days early; or it could be the start of labor soon.

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your queen kitty today?
Day 63 today, no more sign of any leakage or anything. She hasn’t “dropped” yet but she can’t seem to find a comfortable spot for very long - watching the babies wriggle today I don’t blame her, I remember it well!
My son said she was wandering around doing a weird, long cry but she’s not done that since I got home at 2pm today.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good that you see the babies showing movement! Maybe her long cry was from Braxton Hicks contractions. I, too, remember those days of pregnancy although my youngest will be 43 in August!
Is she eating kitten food and/or kmr, for calcium support?
BTW.....what a beautiful House Panther!!!!

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is good that you see the babies showing movement! Maybe her long cry was from Braxton Hicks contractions. I, too, remember those days of pregnancy although my youngest will be 43 in August!
Is she eating kitten food and/or kmr, for calcium support?
BTW.....what a beautiful House Panther!!!!
Yes, she’s been on kitten food for the whole pregnancy, alongside “Kitzyme Conditioning Tablets” and she’s been having panacur paste fortnightly so they aren’t born with worms.

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night my male (her baby daddy 😂 castrated 5 weeks ago) sprayed on my sofa (he’s NEVER sprayed before in the house!) and this morning they were sat on their back legs batting at each other in the bathroom… I’m wondering if he’s picking up on anything and it’s unsettling him? Will he know they’re his babies when they’re born?! I’ve put him outside (he’ll be fine, if he can’t get in here he goes and sleeps on the neighbours bed 😂) but I’m just wondering if he knows it’ll be soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He doesn’t have to be outside and alienated, but they do need to be separated in the house for now and for the foreseeable future.

She is hormonal, and those hormones cause her to be in super protective mode to protect her unborn babies. She wants nothing to do with him now, yet he is still attracted to her because her pregnancy hormones are the same as heat hormones. He doesn’t know better nor care.

He will not know the kittens are his, nor necessarily care. All he wants to do is mate, and that’s because, even though he is neutered and has no more sperm, he still has high testosterone levels that will continue to take time (possibly months) to diminish.

Give mom a private room to nest, birth, and raise her kittens until she can be spayed. He can come inside, but not near her or the kittens. His duty is done. He and mom can be friendly again once the kittens are raised and she is spayed. Both cats will be calmer by then.

He sprayed because her hormones have him geared up to still prove his dominance as the alpha male. Time will resolve all of this.

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t have to be outside and alienated, but they do need to be separated in the house for now and for the foreseeable future.

She is hormonal, and those hormones cause her to be in super protective mode to protect her unborn babies. She wants nothing to do with him now, yet he is still attracted to her because her pregnancy hormones are the same as heat hormones. He doesn’t know better nor care.

He will not know the kittens are his, nor necessarily care. All he wants to do is mate, and that’s because, even though he is neutered and has no more sperm, he still has high testosterone levels that will continue to take time (possibly months) to diminish.

Give mom a private room to nest, birth, and raise her kittens until she can be spayed. He can come inside, but not near her or the kittens. His duty is done. He and mom can be friendly again once the kittens are raised and she is spayed. Both cats will be calmer by then.

He sprayed because her hormones have him geared up to still prove his dominance as the alpha male. Time will resolve all of this.
Thank you. I did wonder if perhaps they give off the same hormones! He’s been trying to lick her behind too, and she’s been stepping her feet on the floor like when they’re in heat 😬 this won’t interfere with her going into labour will it?

Her belly is intermittently hard this morning but I don’t think it’s contractions, more kittens doing something maybe?

Attachments

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ONE BABY!!
I’ve just got home and she’s had one - looks like she’s still contracting however, baby still wet/bloody and I’m not sure if she’s passed the placenta yet actually… keeping an eye on her. How long does it normally take once baby is out for the placenta to come?

Attachments

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nevermind, placenta is here. She’s eating it.

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do we know she’s done… it’s been about 2.5 hours… she’s had 3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens latching and nursing? Does mom seem calm with no contractions or heavy breathing? If so, she’s likely done.

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens latching and nursing? Does mom seem calm with no contractions or heavy breathing? If so, she’s likely done.
Yes, all 3 are feeding. Mum has eaten, I held the bowl for her 😆 she’s sleeping now.
We have 2 weighing 106g, one weighing 118g

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds done! Mom is very tired. I gave my cat “nest service” also after she gave birth.

Their weights are very healthy! Continue to weigh daily.

Is mom able to leave the crate when she’s ready to get up to eat, drink, and use litter? Door should be open with her amenities nearby.