Day 4 On Clavamox: Just Peed Again

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys. I took my cat to the vet on Monday because she’s peeing everywhere and got diagnosed with an infection. We were given clavamox. This is her 4th day and this morning I woke up to her scratching and turns out she peed on the floor again. She’s only peed twice on the floor since she’s been on meds and she’s been going to her litter box too. Is this normal? Should I go back? Thanks in advance

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How many days of Clavamox did the vet prescribe? Did they do a urine culture in addition to the immediate 'in office' urine testing?

If she has been prescribed at least 7 days, you will probably need to wait until the antibiotic is finished to be sure. However, if the urine culture shows a different type of bacteria, the vet will either prescribe another antibiotic to replace Clavamox - or add on after it is finished.

Feeby was on Clavamox with one of her last UTIs, but ended up with a different antibiotic (Orbax) afterward because the Clavamox didn't entirely clear up the infection. In past UTIs, I believe by Day 4 she was better, but not with the one where she ended up getting Orbax. Doesn't mean it will be the same with your cat, but just giving you my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Thank you for the advice. Yes and yes to the testings. She got a urinalysis, urine culture and ultrasound bladder. I just looked and it said to keep taking it until the bottle is gone!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just took my cat back in. Was on 8 days of clavamox. But he is licking himself again. He pee'd in the litter box. So he's not blocked. But wonder if it's something else. Or the UTI is back or not gone away completely

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You said you just took your cat back in - so what did the vet have to say, especially about the over-licking? Wasn't the original cat a 'she', sorry if I am confused...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they do a urine culture at all? Did they check for crystals or anything like that? If not, I'd definitely get a culture, not just a urinalysis.

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they do a urine culture at all? Did they check for crystals or anything like that? If not, I'd definitely get a culture, not just a urinalysis.
Yes they did a culture and found no crystals!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she using the litter box at all? If she's not, it might be litter box avoidance from associating the pain of going to the potty in the litter box. You might try using Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter or adding additional boxes. Is she still peeing inappropriately?

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t had any accidents as of yesterday so yay! It’s day 6 now I believe. Guys I did something and I need advice. Last night I added a little bit of water with clavamox not knowing that I wasn’t supposed to and I have been giving it to my cat still. Should I stop? I just looked it up because I read that you’re supposed to add water but I didn’t know that the vet already did that for me :(

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you saying that you diluted it and now cannot determine the proper dosage?
I just don’t know if I should keep giving her the medicine since I put more water in it or just call in for a new one?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't stop until you call the vet and ask if you should pick up another bottle - and whether you need to start over with the number of prescribed days or just add it to the back end of your diluted treatment.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just continue giving her the prescribed amount for now. It's possible that the infection has already been cleared up. If you call the vet, they might tell you to either come in for more Clav or to switch to a different medication.