Dawn Dish Soap

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just used Dawn Ultra Escapes New zeZeala springs scent and I'm worried it might hurt my cat. Is all Dawn dish soaps safe for cats?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you use it on your cat or on your dishes? The general recommendation for bathing cats is to use only the original Dawn, not scented, concentrated, or antibacterial. I don't know if any studies have been done to determine whether the other types are actually harmful to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On my cat, is he going to be okay?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While the original dawn blue dish soap is safe, its hard to know about other variations because the formulas differ. Watch your cat for any signs of distress. If anything seems off follow up with your vet as soon as possible.

You can also call your vet or the ASPCA animal posion control at (888) 426-4435 ($65 consult fee) to see if they have more information on that specific soap safety.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If he hasn't had a reaction to it by now he's probably just fine. You could give him another bath with either the regular Dawn or a cat-specific shampoo just to get the scented detergent completely washed out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
That was my thinking as well, or even just another rinse...granted by now, it's a little after the fact.
Hopefully your cat is behaving ok?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, you want to avoid the citrus-scented ones, because they may have actual citrus oils in them, which are toxic to cats. I can't think of any reason the New Zealand Springs scent would be more dangerous than the original scent (which I can't stand! I like the apple or Hawaiian pineapple scents), but to be safe it might be a good idea to contact the company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Generally, you want to avoid the citrus-scented ones, because they may have actual citrus oils in them, which are toxic to cats. I can't think of any reason the New Zealand Springs scent would be more dangerous than the original scent (which I can't stand! I like the apple or Hawaiian pineapple scents), but to be safe it might be a good idea to contact the company.
He has been doing fine, very active and no signs of destress or illness

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The regular Dawn Dish Washing blue liquid soap is 100% safe. It conditions and cleans my cat's coats wonderfully.