Dave's Cat Food

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol, I accidentally discovered new cat food! Sweet!

Looks like that one an a few others don't have carrageenan. Thanks, good to know I can try a few more flavors!
Heehee yes. I'm lucky my local pet store carries all kinds of varieties and it's located just a few blocks away!

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually have a daves store near by. The store is GREAT! They carry some of the brands no one else does like fussy cat and their prices are lower in a lot of cases than online prices!!! I tried daves food. My non picky boy didn't care for it and my girl took a few bites and it made her nauseous and gave her diarrhea. She did not eat anything for 2 days after that!! So I love love love the store ... the food not so much :(. I was hoping it would be a hit. They have a 95% line that I recently saw in their store. The ingredients look good but I'm terrified to try it after the last ordeal.
I called and they are supposed to be sending me 5 cans to sample. Turkey and chicken. Now I'm worried my cat might get diarrhea from it IF she will even touch it. Picky little eater, she is. I guess I'll trying feeding her a tiny bit if I receive the samples.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called and they are supposed to be sending me 5 cans to sample. Turkey and chicken. Now I'm worried my cat might get diarrhea from it IF she will even touch it. Picky little eater, she is. I guess I'll trying feeding her a tiny bit if I receive the samples.
I would not worry about it. No two cats are alike. Just because it didn’t agree with my cat doesn’t mean yours won’t love it. Just give her a tiny bit at first and see how it goes. Good luck :vibes:

Catowneragain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried Dave's because it is a big can and so it is cheaper than the other cans I am buying. I stopped because my cats were wasting too much. On the other hand, my cats have become so picky that I now grind up some high quality dry food and sprinkle it on top to get them to eat what I buy.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not worry about it. No two cats are alike. Just because it didn’t agree with my cat doesn’t mean yours won’t love it. Just give her a tiny bit at first and see how it goes. Good luck :vibes:
Thanks! I'm just worried about cleaning up diarrhea. My cat's only had diarrhea once. It was when she was sick with pancreatitis. Fortunately, she was in her carrier when it happened, so I could just throw away the pad inside. Horrible emergency vet must just have left her in her carrier overnight.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried Dave's because it is a big can and so it is cheaper than the other cans I am buying. I stopped because my cats were wasting too much. On the other hand, my cats have become so picky that I now grind up some high quality dry food and sprinkle it on top to get them to eat what I buy.
If my cat likes it, I'm going to freeze some of it in an ice cube tray with a cover from a $1.50 store, so it lasts. A big can would take my cat a long time to finish. She eats so little. Is 8 lbs.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm just worried about cleaning up diarrhea. My cat's only had diarrhea once. It was when she was sick with pancreatitis. Fortunately, she was in her carrier when it happened, so I could just throw away the pad inside. Horrible emergency vet must just have left her in her carrier overnight.
I can’t say that I blame you. Luckily my girl buttercup is a true proper British lady and she diarrhea’d ( haha) in her litter box only. What worried me is the fact that she didn’t eat for two days.. I was ready to force feed her but luckly I enticed her with a can of fancy feast with cheddar. But that’s my cat. Many cats do really well with Dave’s food and every cat is different. Keep us posted how she does.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If my cat likes it, I'm going to freeze some of it in an ice cube tray with a cover from a $1.50 store, so it lasts. A big can would take my cat a long time to finish. She eats so little. Is 8 lbs.
Good idea. I use this can cover plastic lid things to keep unused open cat food in the fridge. My two are eating machines and suuuuch piggies they eat a lot so I don’t often have left overs to store. :crazy:

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can’t say that I blame you. Luckily my girl buttercup is a true proper British lady and she diarrhea’d ( haha) in her litter box only. What worried me is the fact that she didn’t eat for two days.. I was ready to force feed her but luckly I enticed her with a can of fancy feast with cheddar. But that’s my cat. Many cats do really well with Dave’s food and every cat is different. Keep us posted how she does.
Will do. Thanks! Hope my kitty eats it!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a note, Dave's has since removed the carageenan, added gravy flavors and lowered the price way down (they are now the most inexpensive high quality cat food on the market I think). They even have inexpensive dry food. They are readily available at my local pet store and online pet food stores like Chewy. Just fed my picky cat the pate turkey flavor and she loved it (she usually refuses to eat ANY pate).

Nice to discover a new healthy cat food brand that is very affordable.
It's in the canned chicken pate I bought

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of their foods have it, many don’t. I feed Dave’s Shredded Chicken Dinner and there is no carageenan.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's in the canned chicken pate I bought
According to the ingredient lists on Dave's website, all the varieties in the 95% Premium Meat line contain carrageenan. About half of the varieties in the Naturally Healthy Grain-Free line have it.

There is no carrageenan in any of the varieties in the new Cat's Meow line or the two varieties in the newly reformulated Restricted Diet line. This is encouraging; perhaps Dave's is gradually transitioning this ingredient out of its foods.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the brand Cat's Meow,the really old cheap brand?
It's a new line from Dave's that doesn't have any grain, fish, or carrageenan. This video gives the background on it. The "95%" varieties look particularly good in terms of ingredients, IMO, and I'd like to give the beef and the turkey a try. The other varieties look carbier, and some contain pea protein.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! It is cheaper than Wellness except for the beef. Brewers yeast is healthy for Cat's- get some nutrition from it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Daves emailed me back. They will sell a variety pack of the Cats Meow in a month on Amazon

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread. Last year when my Timmer was diagnosed with IBD I discovered Dave's. He really loved it and I got the tuna for him because it didn't have carageenan in it. Now, some of the Dave's food does have it. Unfortunately, my beloved passed away, so, that was the end of my Dave's experience.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats really like Dave's Cat's Meow chicken and turkey varieties but won't hardly eat the ones with beef.